Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Regional > Gardening in the South > Florida

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2007, 12:00 PM
Sprout

Send a message via MSN to JohnsBromeliads Send a message via Yahoo to JohnsBromeliads

Sign-Up Here

I'm somewhat sure I can get a couple of Florida Folk from some other forums.
I already sent an invite to Flowersun and am waiting for others to join.
Florida is no longer the "Land of the Newly Wed and Nearly Dead". It has become a mecca for the Mouse and Duck......

Heck, we'd even take a couple of those Texacans
Old 05-24-2007, 12:10 PM
Acorn

Land of the Mouse and Duck

John -
Just remember to be kind to the mouse and duck.... they provide lots of jobs for Florida people!
Old 05-24-2007, 02:26 PM
PlantSwap Site Founder

Originally Posted by JohnsBromeliads View Post:
Heck, we'd even take a couple of those Texacans
A couple is about all that would fit.
Old 05-24-2007, 04:17 PM
PlantSwap Supporter

Good shot Bernard!!! As a former Floridian, grew up there in Sarasota, graduate of FSU, etc, I agree. I would have to squeeze my way back into Floria-duh. Like the slogan here goes, "Don't Mess with Texas"
Old 05-24-2007, 04:31 PM
Acorn

Originally Posted by txbeyer View Post:
Good shot Bernard!!! As a former Floridian, grew up there in Sarasota, graduate of FSU, etc, I agree. I would have to squeeze my way back into Floria-duh. Like the slogan here goes, "Don't Mess with Texas"

OMG!!! You were a real Florida native.... don't get much of a chance to meet them!!!
Old 05-24-2007, 09:49 PM
PlantSwap Supporter

OK Flowersun, here's the scoop. I moved to Florida when only 11 years old in 54 from New England and left Florida when entering the military after graduating from FSU in 65 So, I'm not native but Florida is full of memories for me during my younger life. It's where I first developed my love for plants - tropicals. Haven't lived in FL since. Once I discovered TX, I have never looked back! I still love tropicals, but they are only planted in the summer garden here and greenhouse over winter here in Austin.
Old 05-25-2007, 04:29 AM
Sprout

Send a message via MSN to JohnsBromeliads Send a message via Yahoo to JohnsBromeliads
OK Flowersun, here's the scoop. I moved to Florida when only 11 years old in 54 from New England and left Florida when entering the military after graduating from FSU in 65 So, I'm not native but Florida is full of memories for me during my younger life. It's where I first developed my love for plants - tropicals. Haven't lived in FL since. Once I discovered TX, I have never looked back! I still love tropicals, but they are only planted in the summer garden here and greenhouse over winter here in Austin.
Hi Bob, well, I "was" born here in Florida (1948), it was the year of the dog. That was the year Roswell New Mexico was getting started.
Did you read my article, I think I put it in the Texas spot, on the great Texas Chili Contest? If not, it just may be worth a trip back in thime for a visit there.
Old 05-25-2007, 04:42 AM
Sprout

Originally Posted by Flowersun View Post:
OMG!!! You were a real Florida native.... don't get much of a chance to meet them!!!
You have met one now! One has to be born in a state to be a native. My wife moved here from Ohio back when she was 1 year old, and to this day, she's not a native.
Old 05-25-2007, 09:25 AM
Acorn

Florida Natives

Originally Posted by JohnsBromeliads View Post:
You have met one now! One has to be born in a state to be a native. not a
Well, howdy do John! It is amazing how few native Floridians you meet. I can't claim native status either.... I'm only here since 1991.
Old 05-25-2007, 04:06 PM
PlantSwap Supporter

John, What else do you grow at your place other than bromeliads?
Old 05-26-2007, 04:23 AM
Sprout

John, What else do you grow at your place other than bromeliads?
Hey Bob, how are the bromeliads I sent you doing?
Plants I collect other than brom's?
1. Orchids, to br sure..
2. Heliconia:
a) Rostrata (my favorite)
b) Caribaea Purpurea
c) Xanthobillpsa (2nd favorite)
3. Plumeria (4 types)
4.Hibiscus
5. Ginger
Trying to start a few types of Protea, not easy to grow....... that's about it for the dirt plants. My wife on the other hand, keeps trying to cram her dirt plants into the shadehouse and running my bromeliads out into the scorching sun, all she does with those dirt plants is to bring those fuzzy tailed rats into the shadehouse. Anyone who has large plant collections knows how I feel about Squirrel's!
Old 05-26-2007, 10:47 AM
PlantSwap Supporter

The broms you sent are doing great. The Neo fannasa has recovered very well. I grow one Heliconia that is ground cold hardy H. latispatha 'seiboldiana'. I have seen it bloom in Houston but have never bloomed it myself. I grow it for the tropical foliage look mainly. The only tropical hibiscus I am growing is H.rosa-sinensis "Gen. Corteges" variegata - a nicely yellow variegated foliage with the traditional red single hibiscus bloom. I also like H. r-s Cooperi for variegated color. I have about 8 orchids, all of which are reliable bloomers, some 4x/yr. They stay in the GH for shade protection. Gingers, I used to grow so many of them in Houston, but have restricted myself to only a few of the hardier varieties for the Austin garden. Plumeria, I only grow the dwarf singapores, plus P. pudica. Do you have any of the dwarfs? My plant collection is pretty diverse overall.
Old 05-26-2007, 11:48 AM
Sprout

The broms you sent are doing great. The Neo fannasa has recovered very well. I grow one Heliconia that is ground cold hardy H. latispatha 'seiboldiana'. I have seen it bloom in Houston but have never bloomed it myself. I grow it for the tropical foliage look mainly. The only tropical hibiscus I am growing is H.rosa-sinensis "Gen. Corteges" variegata - a nicely yellow variegated foliage with the traditional red single hibiscus bloom. I also like H. r-s Cooperi for variegated color. I have about 8 orchids, all of which are reliable bloomers, some 4x/yr. They stay in the GH for shade protection. Gingers, I used to grow so many of them in Houston, but have restricted myself to only a few of the hardier varieties for the Austin garden. Plumeria, I only grow the dwarf singapores, plus P. pudica. Do you have any of the dwarfs? My plant collection is pretty diverse overall.
I'm glad the N fannosia's fared well, just make sure they don't get overwartered.
I just had a plant sale, the H. rostratta's I had available, just Rhizome's mind you, I sold all I had (14) for $15.oo each. Wish I had more
I have a few Hibiscus, but no variegatta's.
Later over on the Florida Forum......
Old 09-05-2007, 09:52 AM
Sprout

Send a message via Yahoo to addicted2plumeria

New to the group and Florida

Hello,
I am Rod and I moved from N.C a couple of months ago.As I am new here and know little of the gardening differences between N.C and here I hope to learn quite a bit from all of you.Especially what to and not to plant in the Panama City area.I have a interest in tropicals and like plumeria, heliconia, birds of paradise, bromilaids and gingers.Although I am interested in these I have not been able to find anywhere to get plants that look healthy.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:16 PM
Sprout

Originally Posted by addicted2plumeria View Post:
Hello,
I am Rod and I moved from N.C a couple of months ago.As I am new here and know little of the gardening differences between N.C and here I hope to learn quite a bit from all of you.Especially what to and not to plant in the Panama City area.I have a interest in tropicals and like plumeria, heliconia, birds of paradise, bromilaids and gingers.Although I am interested in these I have not been able to find anywhere to get plants that look healthy.
Hi Rod....
Welcome....
Pamama City, Wow! I haven't been up there in years! Great Fishing out in the Gulf from there and Destin...

I have quite a few bromeliads, heliconias and gingers. I buy/sell and trade for all kinds of tropicals including frangapinni (plumeria). Here's my website if you'd like to look around...
> http://www.freewebs.com/jacksbromeliads/

I'm a little south of you, down in the Tampa Bay area.
Here's one of the largest mail-order exotic nursery's, not just in Florida, but the world. I've known Dennis and Linda Cathcart for years, their in Sarasota..
> www.Tropiflora.com

Check out their website and sign up for Tropiflora's "Cargo Report". Dennis sends out four catalogs a year packed with all kinds of goodies... lots of epiphytes...

Again, Welcome to Plant Swap, if you need to get in touch with me, there's two of my Email address on my website,
Jack.....
-->