Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Regional > Gardening in the South > Florida

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2011, 10:31 PM
Acorn

CoolI'm a Newbie! Hello!

I recognize some of the names on here from GardenWeb! Hello again to those that know me from there. For those of you that don't know me my name is Erin and I'm new to gardening and also new to Florida. I'm originally from Michigan, until I joined the United States Navy. I was stationed in Jacksonville, North Carolina at Camp Lejeune and that's where I met my husband. My husband and I are both Hospital Corpsman (he's active duty and I'm reserves) and the military stationed us in Panama City, Florida just after Thanksgiving of 2010. We just moved in to our first house, having previously only lived in an apartment and base housing provided by the military so there wasn't much gardening going on, much to my dissatisfaction. My husband and I have two beautiful, young girls, 2 beagles and two cats. I am pretty much a stay at home mom besides my monthly military drill and the occasional humanitarian mission to far off lands. I attend school full time at a local college and I'm hoping to go in to Dental Hygiene. I also foster beagles and volunteer for Tampa Bay Beagle Rescue when I'm needed.

This past Spring I jumped head first in to gardening! At the moment I'm pretty much interested in anything that grows. Much like a small child, anything pretty or unique that catches my eye is what I like and once I have it in my possession I spend hours researching it to figure out it's needs. I guess you could say I'm testing the waters. I've progressed a little though! At first I would buy just about anything. Mainly I purchased things my mom grows up in Michigan, I suppose because it made me feel more at home and I knew it looked pretty. I quickly learned what grows nice and pretty in Michigan doesn't necessarily grow so good in Florida! Then I became interested in tropical plants or at least plants that look tropical. I still am interested in tropical plants to an extent. It wasn't until just recently that I found a group of plants that I really have a passion for and I'm currently going crazy purchasing and begging others to get my hands on them! Succulents and Cacti!!!! Yes! I said it! Succulents and Cacti! But mostly Succulents. They fit my lifestyle so perfectly at the moment. Like I said prior, I'm in school full time so gardening is only able to be done when I have free time, which isn't very often currently. I'm able to garden mainly on weekends and when I get super stressed. Another reason I love gardening! It's a stress reliever! There are only three problems I'm currently having with succulents and even gardening in general: 1. There is a lack of money to purchase plants. Living on one enlisted serviceman's paycheck with two kids is no easy task! 2. There is a lack of nurseries in my area that carry a variety of succulents (at least succulents I don't already have in my collection) and 3. I'm actually running out of pots and hanging baskets because I'm propagating and a few people from other sites I'm on are generous enough to send me seeds, clippings and seedlings free of charge, out of the goodness of their heart, to get me started!

In closing I would like to say thank you for reading this far! I probably bored you half to death. If you have something you think I might like please feel free to e-mail me. Like I said I don't have much money so I'm not currently looking for things to purchase. I might be able to send you postage at the very least. As far as trades, I have never done a trade before and I really don't have a whole lot to trade considering I'm just starting off. I am, however, open to trades as long as the person in question is located near me so we could meet face to face to do the trade. Once I build up my collection and gardening experience I will probably open up to more trading but for the time being this is what I can offer.

Thanks again for allowing me to be part of this group!
Old 09-27-2011, 12:41 AM
Bush

Send a message via MSN to calinromania Send a message via Yahoo to calinromania
Welcome Erin.
I am also an S&C fan!
Have started a nice collection of aloes, agaves, adeniums, and a few other succulents. I find S to be a bit more interesting than C. Cacti are sooo prickly and slow-growers...

Here's my album with almost all succulents I've got.
http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...huOvTL?start=0

Have fun on this site!
CALIN
Old 09-27-2011, 03:55 AM
Blossom

Welcome

Welcome to the group. You'll find a lot of friendly and knowledgeable people here. My suculents are many sedums because of the harsh winters here. Contact me again in the spring and I will have a large variety of sedum starts available.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:22 AM
Bush

welcome from Huntsville, Alabama
Old 09-27-2011, 10:33 AM
Sprout

Welcome!!!!!

Im fairly new also but have more than enjoyed my stay here!!!! Lots of really nice people
Old 09-27-2011, 10:50 AM
Flower Garden

Hello and welcome from Pa
Old 09-27-2011, 10:55 AM
Acorn

Thank you for the warm welcome everyone!

Calin - Your collection is awesome! Can you tell me how you bonsai the adeneum? I'm got some seeds I just started and I would really like to try and bonsai them.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:11 AM
Blossom

Send a message via Skype™ to Cactinae
Welcome from Texas
Old 09-27-2011, 02:49 PM
Tree

Welcome from Michigan

I am into cacti and succulents also. I like all plants, but succulents seem to be a more common theme for me
Old 09-29-2011, 12:44 AM
Bush

Send a message via MSN to calinromania Send a message via Yahoo to calinromania
Originally Posted by CorpsmanCooper View Post:
Thank you for the warm welcome everyone!

Calin - Your collection is awesome! Can you tell me how you bonsai the adeneum? I'm got some seeds I just started and I would really like to try and bonsai them.
Hello. LOL. It's not a bonsai... that's jost how adeniums look.
When it was young, only had one stem, trimmed it, and more branches emerged. I don't treat it as a bonsai. I just know they form a nice caudex/root system.
And i also know that probably each year they need to be a bit "raised" to expose more of the root.

"Riverrock" member here probably should be able to give you more tips.
-->