Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Regional > Gardening in the South > Florida

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2007, 07:41 PM
Sprout

Send a message via Yahoo to addicted2plumeria
Originally Posted by zuzu's petals View Post:
I'm just south of the mouth of the Cape Fear River.
It's a great area, the ocean is just 3 blocks away in one direction
and the Intercoastal is 3 blocks the other way.
But I won't fib, I still do miss Florida.
Hubby's job brought us here 20+ years ago, so ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

I'm afraid that I have FAR too many Plumies, too *sigh* not to mention loads of other tropicals
(you can take the girl out of Florida, but ya can't take Florida outta the girl, it seems).
As the weather gets colder, I will allow them (the Plumeria) to go dormant
then I'll move them into cool storage for 3 or 4 months.
Many of them will also have to be chopped back, they've grown like crazy this summer . . .

. . . ACK!!! That means I'll have even more Plumerias next year!!
Sounds like you are either in the South Port or Carolina Beach/Ft. Fisher area.I used to go there all the time.We were in the Fayetteville area.If you need a place to get rid of those plumeria cuttings I will pay postage or I can get you a wide variety of hybrid daylilies from my Dad in Fayetteville.

Last edited by zuzu's petals; 04-26-2008 at 10:25 PM..
Old 09-11-2007, 08:26 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by addicted2plumeria View Post:
Sounds like you are either in the South Port or Carolina Beach/Ft. Fisher area.I used to go there all the time.We were in the Fayetteville area.If you need a place to get rid of those plumeria cuttings I will pay postage or I can get you a wide variety of hybrid daylilies from my Dad in Fayetteville.
Yep.

I'll definitely keep your offer in mind,
though I may not have any varieties which you don't already have.
These plants usually start to drop their leaves sometime in October,
that's when I'll get a real idea of what needs to be done in terms of cutting them back.

Last edited by zuzu's petals; 04-26-2008 at 10:26 PM..
Old 04-20-2013, 02:13 PM
Blossom

CoolJoining Florida Group

I have been living in Saint Augustine since I retired 2 1/2 years ago (USDA soil microbiologist). I have been in the cacti & succulents group for a few days because it is my major obsession now. However, living in subtropical Florida you can't help but wake up and say good morning God, with the palm trees, hibiscus, lantana , plumbago and other plants bringing in the butterflies and birds. I am interested in trading gardening experiences to keep our ecosystem and neighborhoods beautiful. Looking forward to some creative interactions. Go Gators

Peace Love and Understanding Y'all Bobby Z

Last edited by BobbyZ; 04-28-2013 at 12:23 PM..
Old 04-20-2013, 02:21 PM
Sprout

Hi from Pensacola fl.

Margie
Old 04-20-2013, 04:46 PM
Bush

We used to live in Lutz, Land O' Lakes, Tampa, Tarpon Springs and Homasassa Springs....loved it, miss it terribly....this is a pic of Sunset Beach in Tarpon.....

Old 04-22-2013, 11:32 AM
Blossom

Living in a subdivision can be sterile, however don't let the HOA control your lifestyle. Yes most people in my nieghborhood have a lawn afew shrubs and blend in. I broke the mold and puta rose garden edged in lantanas in the front yard. When you watch the yello tigertail butterflies bustling about makes you feel good. Most perople hang in their backyard. My wife and I enjoy our screened lanai and patio, however we also like to sit on our front porch and take in our little peece of heaven; Our front gardem is always being redesihned especially how a scale infestation took away some of prize shrubs (lemon dewdrop). I have been toon lazy to cover the hibiscus for the friosts here in St. Augie however we had beautiful blooms until feb. and they are coming back strong. I have started a cactus garden in the backyard where we have enough sun and minimal overlap from the in ground sprinklers (see my thread in cacti forum) I find the cape blue plumbagos to do well by us and they can bring in hummingbirds in addition to the bottlebrush. Living in a golf course community for us has an advantage as we are at the edge of a cul de sac with a levee to keep the driving range balls away.
Have a great day Bobby Z
Old 04-22-2013, 05:02 PM
Blossom

Florida Botanical Gardens

One of the greatest resources we have here in Gator Land is the abundance of beautiful and educational Gardens. In the past four months my wife and I visited several in Central Florida. Although I detest Mickey Rat and the homogenization of the Florida tourist venues the true gems can be found if you seek them. Outside Orlando in College park is Lew Gardens you can just dream in the rain forest ravine gardens, they have a nice educational center and a great collection of oriental species. Futher south in Lake City isthe Bell Tower gardens, while in awe of the carillion and tastefully arranged trees and shrubs you can gaze at the acres and acres of citrus growes that make us the sunshine state. St. Pete and Clearwater also add to our riches The Florida Botanical gardens is fabulous and the riches of the sunken gardens can't be beat. The Gainesville Gardens is a wonderful day trip that is awesome. Here on the Northeast coast we have Cummings in Jax and Washington Oaks south of Marineland/ I am blessed to be able to retire here and enjoy Tell us about your explorations my Friends.

Peace Love and Understanding Bobby Z
-->