Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Regional > Gardening in the South > Florida

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2013, 10:46 PM
Blossom

SmileDoes someone know the name

I was wondering if anyone knows the name of this cactus tree? It was of course here when we got here but I wanted to look it up & find out more about it & how to care for it right. I took some of the petal's (don't know what to call them) off today due to they were rotten. Bad thing was that there were at least 3 good petals or more after the rotten one so had to throw away good ones just to get rid of the bad one. There are still bad ones on the tree but I don't know if you are really suppose to take them off. Which is why I want the name to learn more about them

Thank you all for any help you can give me & I also want to thank everyone for your kindness, how much you help new ppl like me, and so much more. Everyone has made me feel very welcome even though I don't have a lot to trade right now. I am working on it though. Thanks again everyone

Last edited by azbadgirl1; 08-31-2013 at 07:27 PM..
Old 08-24-2013, 11:14 PM
Flower Garden

I have no idea but I love it. Don't grow away the good leaves try to root them. It looks to be a tropical cactus by the leaf brackets but I'm half blind. Peanut, Bobby or river would be the ones who could probably tell you the quickest.
Philippians 4:13
Old 08-24-2013, 11:17 PM
Critter Rescue Angel

Unfortunatly I cant tell from this picture its just not clear enough. Can you possibly get a better pic?
Old 08-24-2013, 11:48 PM
Blossom

I will try to tomorrow to get a better picture. It is almost 1am here now so cant get a pic with no sun.......lol Guess I need to pull out my camera cause my phone camera isn't taking picture as good as it used to take.

Stay tuned for a new picture tomorrow. Thank you both for looking and at least trying to figur it out. Can't re-root them unless I'm going to give them away cause my roommates/friends and owners of the house don't want anymore like it. If I was able to root them & not re-plant more they don't care .... There really nice & get the flowers they want sometime I get to pik out a few to.
Old 08-25-2013, 01:11 AM
Bush

opuntia tree?
was it more like pads that u took off than petals?
does it have spines and have u ever seen flowers if so what color?

Last edited by peanutcactus; 08-25-2013 at 01:37 AM..
Old 08-25-2013, 01:33 AM
Blossom

Peanutcactus your right.. again. How do you know so many didferent plants names? I think it's cool & wish I were the same way but I'm lucky if I can remeber some of the plants that are around here that my neighbors gave me samples to plant or cuttings to try & get a plant like they have......

Anyway thank you so much now I can look into the care & if it needs to be trimmed to get rid of the bad or dying cactus petal....

Thanks again
Old 08-25-2013, 01:56 AM
Bush

awww good im glad i could help
haha my mom asks me the same thing about plant names and honestly idk how i remember a lot of them(google helps i get a clue then i go from there)...i loose my keys as soon as i set them down tho haha
im sure ill be a lot happier once its taken care of ..must be old to be that big
Old 08-25-2013, 03:09 AM
Blossom

Yea I think it's pretty old they are also know as the Prickly Pear Cactus. They are pad's I just didn't know what to call them. My roommate that owns the place asked me what did you do to the cactus tree. I told them I took the old rotted ones down & they were attached to good pads so I tossed them. I also told them it's not good to have a bad or rotted one holding anywhere from 3-6 new pads cause they could fall on someone (like the mower). Then they said Oh I see OK....LOL Then I let the know there are more that should be removed but I was to short so I will have to use a ladder to get to them though.

Thank you again & FYI for everyone if you want to have a pad please let me know & we can trade. Everyone have a goodnight
Old 03-22-2014, 10:56 PM
Acorn

Does it have hot pink flowers on it?
-->