Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Regional > Gardening in the South > Florida

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2008, 02:06 PM
Deactivated Account per member request

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtyfingernails

Another Central Fl. member

Hello plantswap members,
I just joined the membership today. Originally I was raised in Ct. on the eastern seaboard,and moved to zone 8a ,Bell,Fl. in 2004.
I am still coping with the sugar sand and limestone in the area. So far I have been getting mixed results. One of my biggest problems has been finding stone to use in my gardens. In the past three years I have found only three stones on my five acres. That was'nt a problem up in the northeast.
One great thing is that I can now grow tomatoes year round in a unheated greenhouse.( I did add suplimental heat from a space heater four nights.)
I hope that I can be a help to some members and that I can get some good imput from Y'all too.
Happy gardening,
Bill
Old 03-10-2008, 02:51 PM
Flower Garden

Welcome

Hi Bill,
I joined this site not long ago myself and have found that the people here are very nice and helpful. I think you will like it here. Have fun!!
Deb
Old 03-10-2008, 04:10 PM
Super Moderator

Hiya Bill. Welcome to the group!

I understand just what you mean about gardening in sand,
I have the same soil (or, lack thereof) here along the southeast N.C. coast.
And, we have no rocks either. Hubby used to get frustrated with me,
as I would insist that we load some into the van everytime we traveled to a part of the country
where they were plentiful ... gradually I won him over to my way of thinking,
and now he brings back a load of rocks from our property in AL whenever he visits there,
without my even having to ask.
Whatta guy!!!

Old 03-11-2008, 08:59 AM

I have decided to forego my veggie garden this year and I am putting in a rotating cover crop of buckwheat. I should get in at least four crops tilled in during the year. I have to get some tilth in the garden so I need not water as often and my fertilizer wo'nt just wash down past the plant roots.
Wish me luck.
Bill
Old 03-21-2008, 03:15 PM

Committed Today

Went out to the veggie garden today and put in 30# of slow release fertilizer and 4# of buckwheat seed . Tilled it all in and just left one strip unseeded where I will put in my Roma tomatoes for canning and sauce . It is just a small garden 28' x 40' . Sure am going to miss planting my other vegtables , but losing a year of growing my favorites will pay off in the end , I hope . This fall I will put in annual ryegrass as a cover crop until next year . A local dairy farm in the area here gives residents a load of composted manure in their own pick up truck each year for free . I plan on capitalizing on this offer this year for my other gardens.
Does anyone have any other ideas on how I can still build up my soil even further ? Any help would be deeply appreciated .
Bill
Old 06-10-2008, 08:45 AM
Sprout

Send a message via Yahoo to rosequeen

Welcome Friend.

>>>Hi, Welcome to the south, I love it but it sure gets hott and dry this time of year, I love to watch flower's and plants grow, I donb't get out much due to lung disease(sarcoidsis) but try to do lots of potted(shade) plants, DH does the veggies and I enjoy making jams/jellies/freezing/canning whe bale, thnaks for the friendship, God Bless- Rosequeen

Originally Posted by dirtyfingernails View Post:
Hello plantswap members,
I just joined the membership today. Originally I was raised in Ct. on the eastern seaboard,and moved to zone 8a ,Bell,Fl. in 2004.
I am still coping with the sugar sand and limestone in the area. So far I have been getting mixed results. One of my biggest problems has been finding stone to use in my gardens. In the past three years I have found only three stones on my five acres. That was'nt a problem up in the northeast.
One great thing is that I can now grow tomatoes year round in a unheated greenhouse.( I did add suplimental heat from a space heater four nights.)
I hope that I can be a help to some members and that I can get some good imput from Y'all too.
Happy gardening,
Bill
-->