Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Regional > Gardening in the South > Florida

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2010, 03:15 PM
Bush

Originally Posted by marasri View Post:
Who wants to listen to sensibility, If you can afford an occasional death, buy it.
-from MS. Zonita Denialema, a Z8 grower of outdoor aloes.
I'm not the most sensible person around anyway.
I wasn't necessarily advocating planting with more zone hardy plants. I tend to push those limits myself (plan on trying a red brug this year even though it is zoned higher or lower depending on who you ask). And the occasional death isn't a waste of money, just another learning experience.
It was just a suggestion on how to recover from this disaster and possibly reduce damage from future winter storms.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:50 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to mickeys_rose Send a message via Yahoo to mickeys_rose Send a message via Skype™ to mickeys_rose
GT - I am sorry for all the damage that mother nature done to your flower beds. I hope that most of the plants come back for you.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:52 PM
Esteemed Nut

I have a cactus buddy in OKC and she had many of her collection bite the dust. She looks at the empty spaces like emptying hospital beds to be filled with more beauties. She is going to be more sensible and stay away from LARGE things that need to be covered and pampered. That is a sensible thing to do if one is going to stress the envelope. Also her interest are changing towards western natives , so the empty spaces are very welcomed. I think all of us who have been stung for our habit of taking chances have to lick our wounds and dive right back into the mess of our gardens and get on with it. This was an extraordinary cold front. I think I will be slowing down my acquisition of more aloes. I have plenty and they tired me out . But most have made it through, albet damaged so, I rejoice in that. If I can do this winter I can do next winter. I am not crazy.

Last edited by marasri; 01-18-2010 at 09:58 PM..
Old 01-19-2010, 01:27 AM
Bush

Send a message via Yahoo to SunnyDayGirl
Sorry GT. I know you have put so many hours into that beautiful garden of yours. Hopefully everything will spring back soon!

KARMA....remember that in life, you get what you give!
Old 01-19-2010, 09:16 AM
Tree

Thanks giving a such a detailed view of your 'brown' garden. I hope that it bounces back with lots of nice suprises at plants that end up surviving the cold. Heart-break aside, it will be interesting to see which ones make it and which ones don't. Can you let us know?
Old 01-19-2010, 05:34 PM
Vegetable Garden

I sure will Denise.
And thank you all for your 'condolences'. I went through the same ordeal of 'dead yard' last year, I should be used to it
Old 01-20-2010, 06:31 PM
Flowering Shrub

There is life after freezes. My poor camellia bushes are back to blooming again less than a week of the deep freeze in low teens. And the spring bulbs like paperwhites and daffadils are six inches high and green. The laura pedlum has pink blooms on it. Strawberry bed still looks green and should be blooming soon. The buckeye bushes are budded. So we have some bright spots to watch. Loud thunder, lightning and rain right now.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:39 PM
Bush

Ditto here, my purple jew plants are a mass of mush, but I found a couple of fresh shoots peeking out.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:48 PM
Tree

My ixoras have lost most of their leaves but the flowers still seem to be doing fine. The hibiscus leaves have yellowed, but already there are some beautiful blooms on several plants....
Old 01-20-2010, 09:01 PM
Esteemed Nut

I stopped at the nursery and bought three more Aloe aristatas.It appears that I am hopeless and I will never learn
Old 01-21-2010, 06:50 AM
Vegetable Garden

I am happy to report, there are still flowers here and there in my yard, in between all the gray and brown

click for slideshow:

Old 01-21-2010, 08:00 AM
Bush

Originally Posted by marasri View Post:
I stopped at the nursery and bought three more Aloe aristatas.It appears that I am hopeless and I will never learn
I stopped at Home Depot yesterday to pick up a can of paint, left with:
Echeveria Multicaulis
Portulacaria Afra Variegata
Crassula Argentea
Aeonium Domesticum Variegata
Pleiospilos Nelii

Now I need to find a dish to display these in.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:12 AM
Esteemed Nut

Very beautiful, GT. My Bilbergia is trying to bloom and I picked a calendula blossom. greek windflowers are blooming in the field. but not much. I have an aloe blossom on my indoors aloe, but that doesn't count. We have 5 days of 75 . Back to the glorious Texas winter.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:53 AM
Tree

GT, all those flowers really are a bright spot. Yeah!!! I am suprised to see plants and vines like your abutilon blooming so soon after the cold.

My red jade vine is completely brown and 'dead'-looking. Do I just prune off all this dead material and see if it grows back? What a loss.

My crotons look about as bad as yours, and have dropped all their leaves. Are your crotons in full sun or partial shade? The place where I bought them had them in partial shade, so I kept them the same. But I am wondering if it would help them to make a comeback by placing themin the full sun now. Since it's winter sun, I doubt it would harm them like our summer sun would. What do you think?
Old 01-22-2010, 10:01 AM
Vegetable Garden

thanks mara, we will all get through this and as grumpy said before, the plants will come back strong

MP, the abutilon did not even stop flowering through the cold.
I trimmed all dried up and dead branches off the vines, thinking of the clematis vines in the northern zones. Those get cut back to the ground each fall just to come back from the ground in spring

I keep my crotons in part shade. imo, the leaf coloration is nicer in part shade compared to the bleached out color when grown in full sun. Could be that the full sun will help them to recover faster, I can't try this out since mine are in the ground. I plan on tip cutting them and I just hope for them to recover :/
-->