Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Regional > Gardening in the South > Florida

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2013, 09:53 PM
Blossom

about collecting seeds

I have watched a lot of video's, read a lot of articles & still don't know how to get Hybiscus seeds from my plant. My neighbor has some to he said I can take from but not been able to or don't think I got the right thing.

They say once flower falls off that what is left will turn brown & once it starts turning paper brown to pick it & finish letting dry. Problem is that once flowers fall if that part don't fall with the flower it usually falls way before it turns brown. Most times I find both stuck together on the ground or just the part the flower was in still green on the ground. They don't usually get a chance to turn brown on the plant they fall way before that.

I think a lot has to do with the rain but not sure. Can someone help me or give me some advice? If you have a video showing me what to do I would love to see it.

Thanks for any help.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:05 PM
Bush

Hope this can help a little.
There are several different types of hibiscus. Take a look on Google Images - type in the keyword 'hibiscus seed pods' and see photos of the one which is similar to yours. You must watch the plant each day and wait until the pod is mostly brown. The papery pods are delicate so I would hold a small bag or a bowl under the pod when you remove it from the plant in case the seeds burst forth. I have had lots of rain here and it has not stopped the pods from forming. Just harvested some yesterday.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:32 PM
Flower Garden

It could also be that your hibiscus is a hybrid and will not produce viable seeds. Good seedpods should stay on the plant till the pod splits open and spills their seed on the ground. If they are not doing this, you are doing nothing wrong, it's just the plant is not producing seeds for some reason.

If you pick a seed pod too soon from any plant the seeds will not be viable in any case.

The easiest thing for you to do is to take a look at your neighbors seed pods and compare them to yours. All is not lost tho if you want more of the same plants. Hibiscus is fairly easy to root from a cutting.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:00 AM
Blossom

Thank you all for you advice. I have been looking at my neighbor's also they seem to have the same problem. I find ton's on the ground after the flower drop's off them but none of them are brown. Some are even dropping with the flower still on them. We all have different kinds so I figured it was the rain or so much moister. Though from what carmelita33 said that shouldn't be the issue. I have got lucky and found a couple that were just turning brown before they feel.

I will keep at it I was just wanting to collect seeds to have something to trade. My neighbor has like double blooming Hibiscus and between the 3 of us we have different colors. My roommate just bought a new kind of Hibiscus looks like snow on the leaves.

Thanks again everyone I will keep a eye on them all & see if I get lucky and get some seeds for trading after awhile. Have a great day everyone
Old 11-27-2013, 08:12 AM
Acorn

Send a message via Yahoo to shauna1219
Something I have seen done, is that when the bloom starts to open, take a small sandwich baggie and wrap it completely around the bloom, down to the stem. Then using tape or a zip tie, tighten it around the stem. Granted, it might make your plant look a little odd...but if the plant produced viable seeds, they will stay in the bag once the seed pod falls off.

That being said, I do agree with fearadyn...thy are so much easier to root from cuttings.
Old 11-27-2013, 08:27 AM
Flower Garden

Shauna if you cover the bloom as you described, insects won't be able to pollinate it .. you only want to isolate a flower like you describe is if you want to hand pollinate it or deliberately want to cross it with another flower. Flowers need to be pollinated in order to make seeds.
-->