Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > Flowers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2010, 10:14 PM
Tree

I am suprised at how quickly my garden is bouncing back from the cold spell. There is leaf damage from the cold on almost everything, (or complete leaf loss on some). I did lose a few colasias (alocasias), and my jamacian crotons, tropical dogwood, and other crotons are looking pretty poorly..... but my saddest loss is my vanilla orchid and my red jade vine.... I can't even find the orchid vine, and I go out every day to see if I can find signs of life from the red jade vine.... but so far nothing.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:47 AM
Bush

Send a message via Yahoo to SunnyDayGirl
MP, that is so cooool! Thanks for sharing those great pics! Put a smile on my face as well

KARMA....remember that in life, you get what you give!
Old 01-31-2010, 12:25 PM
Esteemed Nut

Wow, those monarchs almost look like aphids. Now comes the feeding part of raising butterflies , when your plants get a little ragged. I had a thing happen that made me smile. I went out into the garden and I saw some "bugs on my Rabe and mitzuna, so I went out and started spraying with some Neem oil . I got to the frost cloth and there was a MILLION of them in the upper folds of the cloth. I was wondering why would they like to hang out on the cloth. Well, it is fallen cedar tree blossoms. I need better glasses not Neem oil.
Old 01-31-2010, 12:30 PM
Bush

Mara (is that right?)....made me grin - lol! I wear glasses so I can relate!

Old 01-31-2010, 12:35 PM
Critter Rescue Angel

Beautiful pics pandagirl

I love butterflies, we dont get the monarch here but we get beautiful swallowtails.

What makes me smile is all the bulbs coming up and the rain..as long as it is raining it is NOT freezing

I think I smile everytime I go in my green room also and see thing starting to come out of dormancy...it is a little early but the winter has been so mild. Though it was really coold at night for a few nights this last week.
Old 01-31-2010, 03:24 PM
Tree

I had another BIG smile today...... my first brugmansia flower.... EVER!

I had bought a couple of 1 1/2 ft tall heirloom brugmansias in late Oct. or early November. This is the first one to bloom.... I am so excited!

So many of the cuttings that I've received from you all have taken root, and are starting to grow like crazy.... in a few months, I'll should have bunches of flowers, but this first bloom is so special!
Old 01-31-2010, 06:09 PM
Bush

That looks huge! Not to mention beautiful - lol!

I also love that golden color hibiscus bloom behind it. If you every trim back that hibiscus, save me some cuttings I was able to get some tropical ones to take root this summer/fall with alot of patience - lol! They are in my office now waiting on spring. Hopefully they will get some height on them this year.

Old 01-31-2010, 06:18 PM
Tree

Yes, brugmansia flowers are huge, aren't they!

The hibiscus behind it is a yellow wing hibiscus. Last week, as the plants were coming back after the cold spell, that hibiscus had about 6-7 huge blooms all on the same day. It was quite impressive.

Along this fence line, I have 7 different varieties of hibiscus plants, all in topiary form, staggered between different types of brugmansias. They will definitely need to be trimmed. I'd be happy to send you one of each, SDG, when the time comes! I've also thought about going ahead and rooting them when I need to trim one or two branches off a plant, so that I'll have them rooted to ship out.
Old 01-31-2010, 06:22 PM
Tree

Here is a double pink hibiscus that was blooming yesterday, right on the other side of the brugmansia!

Old 01-31-2010, 06:28 PM
Bush

Absolutely gorgeous...I am so jealous, I wanna move now - lol!

I never had any luck rooting them in water, I did these straight in soil. They also claim they take better if you place 3 or more together in one planter which is what seemed to work for me. It took about 6 months for the roots to get strong enough for me to split and repot.

Old 01-31-2010, 06:32 PM
Tree

I've had success rooting hibiscus with a 50/50 soil to ......... (just got brain fog..... let's blame it on the baby.... lack of sleep...... what is the tiny white styrofoam looking stuff called?)

Anyway, I need to do a bit of research on when it's best to prune hibiscus. But it would be great to get some in pots before our hot summers arrive.... I would think that the roots would grow pretty quickly here over our hot summers.
Old 01-31-2010, 06:37 PM
Tree

oops.... I really am brain dead tonight! I pulled down the wrong picture.... that picture above is called 'Painted Lady' hibiscus...... I took it yesterday as well.

Here is the double pink hibiscus..... it must be at least 7 inches in diameter....

Last edited by miamipanda; 01-31-2010 at 06:43 PM..
Old 01-31-2010, 06:37 PM
Bush

You are probably right...seems I had to take mine out of the sun though and put in the shade with just a tiny bit of sun coming thru.

Tiny white stuff (this is my new best friend - lol) Perlite.

I am sure it would do much better in the mix as well. Mine was just straight potting soil....arggghhhh!!!

And, I bring them in when the temps drop below 55. They still have all their leaves.

Old 02-01-2010, 12:49 PM
Flower Garden

mp, love your monarch shots. So great you were able to see nature at it's best!

mr, visuals. , can make one smile.

RR, glad for the smiles you had too!

mp, wow, 1st brug flower ever -congrats and during this time of year with the cold and such, that is really good! Love your hibsicus as well and surprised to see them bloom right now as well.

Although I have not had a chance to go out in the garden of yet, I am hoping for a smile today.

What put a Smile on your face today while out the Garden?
Old 02-01-2010, 01:33 PM
Flower

Send a message via MSN to Patricia531 Send a message via Yahoo to Patricia531
I did a walk out to my mini greenhouse this morning where I have all my winter sown seeds. I was surprised to see that about a third of them are all ready up. Seeing seeds germinate always brings a smile to my face.
-->