Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > Flowers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2008, 04:53 PM
Acorn

Not sure about the pussy willows. They have "weeping pussy willows" at Lowes right now, but want 15 and some change for a plant... they are beautiful tho...
I just can't afford it.
I work there as a plant merchandiser, for Plant Partners Inc., so if they ever mark them down, I may snag one.

Asprin... I used to use one 200 mg tab per gallon, when I didn't have local willow. I have been known to knock on strangers doors, over a willow branch, in a new area tho...lol

The soil and jar method is in fact very scientific. It is how most people do it, before they find out about willow...heh heh... or if none is handy.
It works because plants need sun on the leaves, to grow the roots, but also loose moisture thru the leaves. If you use that method, try cuting all the leaves in half, so they can get sun, but not loose so much moisture.
That is a great tip to add!! That method will root about anything also, unless it is a very slow to root plant.
I use the willow mostly, because I can be lazy, and it jumpstarts them quicker.
If you use both methods..soak in willow or asprin water, then plant and cover, it is even better!

You can also use clear plastic, rather than glass...some people use gallon sized bags, just slipped over. I prefer the glass, because the wind doesn't take it, and it can be recycled so long.

OK, my brain is tierd from the pickin' now....hah hah
Brenda
Old 03-28-2008, 05:25 PM
Flower Garden

weeping willow vs pussy willow

I have both of them and I think the weeping willow roots just a smidge faster than the pussy willow. But they both root like crazy. I love those weeping pussy willow. I would like to have one too but I'm not buying any plants this year. I'm gonna trade and grow from seed. I spent way too much last year. Oh yea.....and my little jungle I got going on in the kitchen. LOL
Deb
Old 03-28-2008, 05:31 PM
Forest

Exclamation

MY pussy willows always rooted easily , till I threw my bush out, and someone gave me some. THey refused to root. However she let them set a long time before sending, which totally ruined them.

You think yours is a jungle. My one upstairs room is my green house. I been seed and plant swapping for about 6 years. It pays dividends.

bali
Old 03-28-2008, 06:02 PM
Flower Garden

I just started gardening last year. But I have the counter full of cuttings in jars. Seeds started in egg cartons all over the living room. And so many plants in my plant corner that they are threatening to keep my daughter out of her room. I can not imagine what it will look like in here in 6 years!! Good thing both the kids should be gone by then!!! LOL
Deb
Old 03-28-2008, 08:20 PM
Forest

Talking

Tell the kids , Your replacing them. With flowers.

Heck most will be outside soon.

hope . I have lots of plants inside who are outsiders permanently.
I have a banana tree going ape right now .. Cant wait for sun.

b
Old 04-01-2008, 09:53 AM
Sprout

Talk about synchronicity! I went out and cut a few branches off my willow tree to bring inside and force - just to add some interesting texture and more green to my abode... I looked at the ones I have in my bedroom in a glass vase and noticed they already had roots on them... and now I read this post and am amazed! I didn't know they actually helped get other things to root as well. I have 2 avocado trees already with a good tap root, but I have 4 more avocado seeds I'm trying to root as well. Do you think the willow will help with something like that?

I need to trim a few more branches off my willow tree. I'd be happy to send cuttings out to those who'd want some. It's not a weeping willow (I don't think - it doesn't drape downward) and it's not a pussy-willow either. Just some type of willow tree...
Old 04-01-2008, 10:06 AM
Forest

Thumbs upwillow

I am game for some willow cuttings. Rooted ones.
I have oodles of seeds here for you to if you want.

Or a cutting from forthysia.

Your choice
Old 04-01-2008, 04:34 PM
Flower Garden

Bali,
I have some weeping willow and pussy willow if you want some of it. Would consider a seed trade for them. Let me know by pm.
Deb
Old 04-01-2008, 06:28 PM
Forest

hOW DO I PM ON HERE?
Old 04-01-2008, 08:00 PM
Flower Garden

Click on the persons name and a menu will come down. Scroll through the menu to send a private message, click it and you will be able to send a PM. Somewhere on here there's better instructions but I dont remember where. Sorry. Maybe someone else can direct you to those? I almost forgot..at the right hand side of the page, right above Quick Links, you can click the private messages there and send a PM through that too. I hope this helps.
Deb
Old 04-01-2008, 08:08 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by bali View Post:
hOW DO I PM ON HERE?
Deb gave good instructions.
There is additional helpful info on the PM system posted here:
http://www.plantswap.net/forum/announcement.php?f=25

Old 04-01-2008, 09:34 PM
Forest

Thumbs up

Thanks Deb and zuzu,

I did it with the name .

Had me stumped.
I love this flower
Old 04-02-2008, 06:52 AM
Flower Garden

plant merchandiser

Brenda,
I just got a job as a greenhouse plant merchandiser. It looks like its going to be an interesting job. How do you like it? I'm thinking if I'm around plants all the time at work, it will be good. LOL Is this your first year of it? Or have you did this in the past? Please let me know.
Thanks,
Deb
Old 04-02-2008, 09:27 AM
Forest

Thumbs up

Boy did you luck up.....They will have yummies that break ..LOL

Good luck an let us know how you make out..
Barb
Old 04-02-2008, 10:02 AM
Flower Garden

That's what I was thinking too. Could snatch up the pieces off the floor. Wonder if this is considered stealing? I sure hope not. The only thing I didnt like about it was if they plants look bad I have to throw them away. Might have to go back dumpster diving after work???? LOL
Deb
-->