Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > Flowers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2008, 11:45 AM
Flower Garden

starting rose of sharon question

I know you guys are probably getting tired of my asking but here goes anyways........I am trying to root some rose of sharon in water. Will this work? I also planted some seeds about a week or 2 ago, so far nothing. I was just wondering how to do this or if anyone else has rooted or grown these from seed? I looked on the internet for some help but that just caused me more confusion. One more thing......is there a good book out there somewhere that pertains to rooting cuttings and growing plants from seed? It needs to be in plain language though. Sometimes I look at things pertaining to plants and think I might have slipped into some language I dont understand. LOL Maybe a book called Rooting and seeding for dummies??????? lol Any advice you can give will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Deb
Old 03-27-2008, 12:38 PM
Forest

Wink

Rose of sharons, just grow from dropped seeds mostly.
I dont like them.. But you can try soaking the seeds in water for a while then plant them.

Seems like zillions give them away.
Old 03-27-2008, 01:49 PM
Flower Garden

Thank you bali. I didnt think of soaking them in water. I will try another batch from seed but first soaking the seeds. I know that alot of people share them on the internet and probably quite a few people that live around me but I really wanted the satifaction of starting and growing them myself. I guess I just like a challenge. LOL
Thanks so much for your suggestion!!
Deb
Old 03-27-2008, 02:38 PM
Forest

Thumbs up

Deb,
That is the way to be.. DO it yourselfers like us. That is why I trade seeds so much .

Go try . I just germinated dutch Lily seeds from florida.. In a wet towel placed in a baggie.(Sealed) Try that also.
If it roots it will grow. That took a whole month.

YOu can try any seed that way.. I feel like a greenhouse now..
Old 03-27-2008, 04:42 PM
Flower Garden

That sounds very interesting too. I might try that too. Next thing ya know, I got a whole bunch of them like I did with the moon flower. LOL Oh well, I have 2 acres to plant......guess I can find some where to put them.
Deb
Old 03-27-2008, 05:01 PM
Acorn

I root my rose of sharon here all the time.
I find it easiest to use some willow water.
If you or someone you know, has any type of willow tree, just Take a branch of it, and stick it in a bucket of water, in a shady spot.
Keep filling the bucket as it goes down.
You can stick just about any type of cuttings in it, and leave them a day or two, and then pot them up to root.

I get lazy, and just leave them in the water for weeks, and when they root in there, then I plant them.

I think rose of sharon is a very easy rooter, so just plain water will probably work too.
I usually nick the stem in a few places, and cut it at an angle.

Yep, I pull seedlings up around them every year also...but they are so pretty, and the hummingbirds love them here.

So go for it... it is much faster to grow them from cuttings. I have cut and rooted limbs, and had them bloom the first year.

Brenda
Old 03-27-2008, 05:48 PM
Forest

That is great.

Never heard of the willow deal.. Dont have that tree. Hope your having fun on the 2 acres , like you should.
Old 03-27-2008, 06:09 PM
Flower Garden

It just so happens that I took some cuttings off of my weeping willow the other day. So one of those will be going in the jar with the rose of sharon. I put the willow cuttings in after the rose of sharon and its getting roots on it already. I guess I am just being impatient.
Thanks so much,
Deb
Old 03-27-2008, 06:13 PM
Forest

Lots of smart cookie son here.
Old 03-27-2008, 06:48 PM
Acorn

Willows root quicker than anything!!
The bark is used as asprin, and dried and ground into rooting hormone.
Yep, if you have no willow.. a disolved asprin will work also.

Brenda
Old 03-27-2008, 07:00 PM
Forest

Thanks Brenda,

Its easier to get an aspirin , I buy the ones 200 for a dollar at the Dollar store.
Wow I am learning much on here .

Thanks forlks
Old 03-27-2008, 07:19 PM
Blossom

Aspirin

How many aspirin to how much water. THAT is awesome!!

Going to the store in a few minutes...I will add that to my list of things to buy. Too funny!

Old 03-28-2008, 05:51 AM
Flower Garden

Weeping willow

and pussywillow would both do the same thing Brenda? I have lots of pussywillow starts in the house. I'm going to put one of those in each of the jars of water. I tell ya....my countertop looks like a jungle. I have one thing in particular that I want to grow more than anything because I have been trying to get a start off of it for a long time. It's a japanese snowball bush. My brother has 2 of these. Last year I went down and dug up little trees that were just popping up. I should have put them in containers but I put them in the ground. They all died. I was so upset. This bush is beautiful andI would love to have some in my yard.
This year
I went down and got some cuttings off of it. I now have them in water trying to root them. Im gonna add a couple of pussywillow starts to them. Or is I need to I'll go down and cut some weepingwillow to put in there. Think I will wait until the snow melts though. LOL

Deb
Old 03-28-2008, 06:26 AM
Acorn

cuttings of rose of sharon

good morning... I don't know how scientific this is but this is how my grandmother rooted cuttings of different shrubs and things and my mom still uses this to this day.... snip a nice size cutting, plant the cutting straight into a prepared site with a good grade of soil (we mix this ourselves)... water well, place a large glass jar over the cutting and walk away.... check on it in a month... this works with rose of sharon, hydrangeas, most shrubs.... I asked a master gardener about this one time... I asked if she did this because it created a greenhouse effect or what... he said she did it because she didn't want to be bothered with watering the thing... all I know is it works....lol... p.s... I did this last year with million bells aka super bells (I've heard it called several different names)... works great!
Old 03-28-2008, 07:44 AM
Forest

Thumbs down

I tried that over winter .. No results

-->