Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > Flowers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2015, 01:39 PM
Tree

Talking

04.19/20.2015

Will see after few weeks how many sprouted, if any.
Old 04-23-2015, 08:25 PM
Super Moderator

Thank you for documenting your setup - I'm looking forward to watching developments and my fingers are crossed that you get lots of interesting babies.

Old 06-06-2015, 10:42 AM
Acorn

Need some advice on my attempt to sprout brugmansia from seed. Should I give up or give it more time? I soaked the seeds in warm water to start with and peeled away most of the hard outer coating to reveal the little "bean" inside. I planted them in little Jiffy peat pellets pretty close to the surface and they are inside the plastic greenhouse but they haven't been on a heat source. They haven't been getting much sunlight until recently because the temps have been bouncing around but they were under a lightbulb that is on most of the time. I bought the seeds from an eBay seller who only listed them as "white" with no further info other than they might be another color because Brugmansia don't always grow true from seed. Can I do something to turn this around or did I waste my time and money? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!
Old 06-06-2015, 12:55 PM
Tree

Smile

Be patient FlutterbyLady, everything takes time and time again.
Even tho I planted a lot of seeds in 6 pots, in each pot 2, 3, 4 seeds, only 4 seeds (2,1,1 in3 pots) sprouted and 2 sprouts died some time later, so as for today I have only 2 sprouts and still hopping another seed(s) will sprout, if not I'll try again, because I real want those brugs and nobody seems to have cuttings to share (especially dwarfs).
Buying anything on line is a risk we're willing to take but doesn't mean everything is bad, also some seeds, cuttings and plants we exchange/swap with friend not always sprout/survive, all depends how we plant, take care of them and many more other things. I'm sure we all do the best we can, but the most, in my opinion, is luck.
As you explained above you did everything right, give it more time and if you can more sun light and heat (E window would be the best) as days getting warmer now and try to be patient.
It's truth, plants from seeds may not look like mother plant, that's why they're called X or hybrid.
Wishing you good luck.

Old 06-06-2015, 01:36 PM
Acorn

Smile

Thanks for the advice, Saba! I won't give up on them, but I'm going to look for a cutting or small plant in the mean time so I can maybe enjoy blooms this season!

Old 06-06-2015, 02:12 PM
Tree

I don't think nurseries sell small brugmansia plants ready to bloom, I was buying pots last week and saw medium but very expensive,
as for cuttings, even if you get one now, before it roots and be potted will be July already, no chance to bloom,
for cuttings to bloom usually take 2 years, some times even longer.
Good luck on finding what you looking for.
Old 06-06-2015, 03:01 PM
Acorn

I traded for a pink Brugmansia rooted cutting many years ago and actually had 2 flowers that summer with partial sun exposure (only 1 opened) so there's a glimmer of hope! No harm in trying! =)
Old 06-06-2015, 03:09 PM
Tree

Smile

Old 04-30-2016, 11:42 PM
Tree

Unhappy

Just to let you know only 1 (ONE and only) from pic above survived, I'm curious when it will bloom, if ever.

That's ridiculous, from all the seeds I ordered only 2 sprouted, waste of money and time , never? again.

Last edited by Saba; 05-01-2016 at 01:54 AM..
Old 05-01-2016, 06:48 AM
Bush

Saba,
I start my cutting in the fall of previous year, pot up into 4" pots when roots appear. Keep warm and not too much growth commences and now have them in 1 Gallon pots (April) and did the same last year and they where in bud in June.
Wish I could get some of those wonderful hybrids they have now.
RC
Old 05-01-2016, 07:17 AM
Forest

Mine get some sort of white stuff on them an I need to put them in a cool
room???
Old 05-01-2016, 03:25 PM
Tree

Thanks RC, that's what I do with cuttings too but I was talking about tens and and tens of seeds I ordered on eBay, only 2 of all seeds sprouted and 1 sprout survived, over a year already and only 1 tinny stick little over 2' but showing side leaves grow, hope it'll survive and bloom this year, they do better in colder zones, will see. Also if the brug will grow healthy and have woody stems (green will rot) and US/Canada shipping law allow we can talk about swap if interested.

bali, if I understand correct 'white stuff' it is mealy bugs-white cotton like grow, you need to spray Bayer -brod mites. I have a lot of brugs so I use one connected to garden hose but bottle to spray by hand is available too at Home Depot, Lowe's. Hope it help.

Last edited by Saba; 05-01-2016 at 03:35 PM..
Old 05-01-2016, 04:50 PM
Forest

Hang in there Saba .......

Someone on here may has some for you.
Old 05-01-2016, 05:17 PM
Forest

OK I will try bayer for mine.

Old 05-06-2016, 07:50 PM
Tree

bali, how is your brug, did you spray?
-->