Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > Flowers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2015, 12:41 PM
Flowering Shrub

phalaenopsis orchid

I just bought a couple of phalaenopsis orchids for gifts. I gave one away the next day. It was white & full of blooms & is still looking great after a couple of weeks in its new home. The other one was also full of blooms (my favorite one). This one is purple & a little stripey. Both orchids were brought home at the same time, received the same treatment, & etc......however, the next morning over half the blooms on the purple one were withered & ugly. I couldn't give it as a gift, so I decided I would keep it. Out of about a dozen blooms, it lost all but 2. Any ideas about why this happened? Any advice on keeping this orchid & hopefully bring it back into bloom on down the road. Thanks a bunch!
Old 09-26-2015, 06:50 PM
Acorn

Smile

The loss of blooms on your purple orchid could be due to several factors. The simplest reason that the blooms withered is the fact that they were older than the ones on the white one. A phal's blooms last for about 6 months and the stores keep them that long until the blooms fade. They then mark them down or just get rid of them. Who knows how long that orchid may have been in the store. Other reasons that the blooms could have fallen would be problems in the health of the orchid. Check the roots to see if they are healthy, not flat, not papery, with green tips, and not too crowded. Phalaenopsis orchids are epiphytes which means that they grow on trees. These orchids need a readily available supply of oxygen to the roots, which might not happen if they are packed in too much. The packing company just shoves in sphagnum moss and doesn't care about the roots, you may want to change the medium it is growing in. Also check to make sure you do not have crown rot (rot that takes place where the new leaves form). This could also be a factor for the loss of blooms. Crown rot can be treated with cinnamon dusting.
To get the orchid to rebloom, cut the flower spike one inch above the topmost node that did not grow a flower, this will cause either a new flower spike to come out of that node, or the formation of a keiki.
Old 09-28-2015, 04:25 PM
Flowering Shrub

Thanks devnay! I did inspect the roots & they do look very healthy, in fact one of the roots looks like it is putting up some new leaves?? Is that a possibility? It has something wide & green forming on it anyway. I have a feeling that what you said about it being in bloom for a long time in the store is probably the reason for the blooms dropping. The 2 remaining blooms look really good.
Old 09-28-2015, 07:22 PM
Acorn

Well as far as I know, they do not produce leaves from their roots, but they do branch which looks different from most other plant root systems, so I believe what you are seeing is the root branching. If it does happen to be a leaf though, give us an update because I've never heard of that.
-->