Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > Flowers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2014, 07:24 PM
Flower Garden

Sherie, you have a very handsome son there and I love the watch cat. Your set up also rocks. Yipee! We are on our way. I will be planting my seeds later tonight. Some of them already look like they are getting tails.
Old 01-25-2014, 07:27 PM
Flower

Fearadyn,
I don't know if you bought the same one I did on ebay (Botanikka Seed starting Heat Mat10x 20.5 Propagation, Germination, Cuttings, 20w
comes with instructions,1 YEAR WARRANTY) but mine came with a 1 yr warranty.
Old 01-25-2014, 07:32 PM
Flower Garden

Fear, so sorry to hear that your eBay purchase was faulty. I am sure that a good seller will do right by you though.
Old 01-25-2014, 07:34 PM
Flower Garden

Oh, I did mean to mention that I was able to buy the diotomaceous earth today. Food grade of course. They only had the larger size container but I am sure that I can use it in the garden for other plants as well. With the information that you gave us and having done a bit more research on it, I see that it can be use for a variety of things, so all is well.
Old 01-25-2014, 07:57 PM
Tree

Thanks everyone for the nice comments! . I am so excited, I can't wait to see what everyone will be posting in a couple weeks once everyone gets their seeds going and growing.
Old 01-25-2014, 08:38 PM
Flower Garden

mickeys_rose for sure that does sound great! And it will be wonderful for those of us up north to see them planted in the ground~and have that to look forward to

Swamplady if you are already seeing tails yours are gonna come up fast I just clipped some more today and have them soaking now~I know, you get enough of that earth to last what looks like forever. I'm gonna put it out in my garden this year too, the slugs are terrible in my area.

Thanks guys for the good thoughts on that dang mat heater I bought. cfiegel the one I bought was used with no warranty. The person had a good rating, I will see if they could give me a refund, but I may have waited too long.

I agree SL, Sherries son is so very handsome, and what a talent~who knows, but how awesome would that be if he goes on to become a horticulturalist~let him know how proud we are that he is here and growing with us!
Old 01-26-2014, 01:08 AM
Flower Garden

My seeds are in the dirt and many of them already have tiny tails coming out of them. They have been sprinkled with the food grade diatomaceous earth and cinnamon. Now all I have to do is wait for them to grow.
Now one problem that I see is that they will grow faster than the arrival of spring. That could be a real problem for me having morning glories trying to climb the kitchen window curtains.
Fraradyn I do have one question. In reading about MGs, one site said that they do not like to be transplanted. Have you ever had any issues with this??? And if they start to get stringy before I can get them outside, will they bounce back and become fuller?
Old 01-26-2014, 05:44 AM
Super Moderator

Got mine soaked..( seen many little tails) Got planted...and now for the wait!
I did safe of the MG's to plant outside as MR in Feb/March...for we do very well
here in the South with MG's...So excited about the different varieties of MG
s. Fear thanks so much for this grow out...I surely needed this project at this
time..as life can be very challenging! Bless you my friend!
Pictures will come in a little while!

"Even if sin did come into the world through a woman....so did the Saviour!"
Old 01-26-2014, 08:14 AM
Flower Garden

I have no special set up to post pictures of because I just have my trays sitting in front of the kitchen slider doors where I get the most sun in the winter time. I put the seeds into the dirt late last night and checked on them first thing this morning. Nothing has grown up through the dirt yet - can you tell I am impatient?
Old 01-26-2014, 08:42 AM
Tree

I know what you mean, SwampLady! Every time I walked by the pots last night, I kept thinking I saw something starting to poke up and would take a closer look - even though I had just planted them a few hours earlier and knew there couldn't possibly be anything coming up yet. As I'm typing this, I looked over and Nathan was looking over the pots really close, lol! Nothing to report yet.
Old 01-26-2014, 01:44 PM
Flower Garden

Excellent guys! Mine are starting to break thru the soil now, so it won't be long for yours either! I'll get a picture in a minute.

Swamplady~lol, yup that will be our challenge to keep them contained till they can go outside! I've not had any more problems transplanting them then I have had with any other plant. I loose some of them in transplant, but most do just fine. Once they get big enough just give them something they can climb, like thin dowels put together in a tipi in the pot. Then just wrap the tendrils where you want them to grow. If it gets too big you can cut it back alittle. And yes, they can get stringy looking if they don't have enough sun, but once they are outside and in the warmth and sun they will go crazy.

Just try to not disturb the roots any more then necessary. They usually look drab a few days after transplanting then pop right back up.

Here is a great article on a morning glory festival in Japan, they have taken growing morning glories in pots to new level. We can do the same thing

http://www.growingwithplants.com/201...1_archive.html

Last edited by fearadyn; 01-26-2014 at 01:58 PM..
Old 01-26-2014, 01:46 PM
Flower Garden

Here are mine at day three~they are all doing just what I want them to at this point.

Old 01-26-2014, 04:42 PM
Super Moderator

Planted mine yesterday...and this is today!

I am excited!

I was amazed at how fast these are growing!

I did save half of my seeds to sow outside in Feb./March..!

Thanks Fear for putting excitement in my life!

"Even if sin did come into the world through a woman....so did the Saviour!"
Old 01-26-2014, 04:46 PM
Flower Garden

Well I'll be - it looks like Diane's seeds are ready to burst into action also. Mine are sleeping quietly under the dirt still. BUT - I know that some of them have tails started so I am optimistic.
Old 01-26-2014, 06:07 PM
Tree

Woohoo, Fearadyn and Diane! How exciting- had to go give mine another check and nothing yet for me. Maybe tomorrow I'll see some action.

Last edited by Sherie0001; 01-26-2014 at 06:12 PM..
-->