Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > Flowers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2014, 09:48 PM
Flower Garden

Big welcome cszopa, if you decide you want to try growing some you can jump in anytime, I have tons of seeds left!

Oh good SL it's not hard to find, just look in the section where the chicken and animal supplies are.
Old 01-24-2014, 10:03 PM
Sprout

Thank you so much fearadyn, that would be wonderful!

I will pm you my addy. Take a peek at my profile and let me know I'd there it's anything you would like to trade for them!

I'm going to look up s one info on morning glories now
Old 01-25-2014, 08:20 AM
Flower Garden

I nicked and started soaking my seeds late last night and some of them have swollen up quite a bit already. One almost looks like it is getting a tail already. I will wait till later this evening to put them into the dirt because it has only been about 10 hours in the water.
Old 01-25-2014, 10:02 AM
Flower

I started mine early in peat pellets. After 3 days they are already very tall. I tried the peat pellets for the 1st time. Should I transfer them to a 4 in. pot. or can they stay in the peat pot? Should I spray them every day when they are no longer under the clear cover? I planted 2 seeds in each pellet. I have to tell you it hurts to throw away the extra germinated seed.

Ignore the sprouts on the right. Those are lion's tail!
Old 01-25-2014, 10:29 AM
Tree

I'm with you SwampLady - mine and Nathan's (my 9 yr. old who's doing the growout with us) are soaking right now too. We'll probably plant them tonight after dinner. I had an old bookshelf in the garage with adjustable shelves. My oldest son is going to help me mount a couple T5 fluorescent lights inside of it. Can't wait to see these babies start sprouting!

Cfiegel, yours look great!
Old 01-25-2014, 02:30 PM
Flower Garden

Awesome everyone!! Sounds like we are all on track with this one

Be sure to get pictures of your creations and set ups, I can't wait to see them all

cfiegel, they look great! The leaves you are seeing now are called cotyledons, the first true leaves will start from the middle of the stem where these are coming out now and they will be tiny at first, but the true leaves will look like the adult morning glory leaves, they will be heart shaped or shaped like a dragonfly.

Be careful they don't get too tall, they will grow their main stem up high to get close to the light source and can sometimes topple over. I would keep these up close to your light perhaps three or four inches from it and leave them in the peat pots for a few more days.

Then replant them into a smallish pot with potting soil and set the plant down in to cover up some of the long stem. You want the true sets of leaves to be down kinda close to the soil. Be sure to keep just peat up close to the main stem and use cinnamon to be sure you don't get damp off from any fungus.
Old 01-25-2014, 02:42 PM
Flower

I nicked and soaked my seeds yesterday. I am going to wait until later on today to get them planted up.
Old 01-25-2014, 04:23 PM
Flower Garden

Super!! Everyone else check in so I know we are all here

Before you know it you are all gonna be Morning glory experts!
Old 01-25-2014, 04:39 PM
Flower

I will do that, fearadyn! Thanks a bunch!
Old 01-25-2014, 05:39 PM
Tree

Woohoo! Hope all the hard work is done now and I can just sit back and watch them grow, lol! We planted the MG seeds and i planted a bunch of extra types of seeds too. I have the heat mat on the top shelf of my converted bookcase, and Nathan's MG seeds are in the rectangle container there. My MG seeds are on the lower shelf in the rectangle container - they have no heat mat so we can compare. I wrote the types of each seed on the paper pots onto the masking tape on the side - I used indelible ink, so hopefully they won't wear off before they're big enough to be transplanted. The lights can't be lowered, but the shelves can be adjusted, so I'll have to adjust my lighting that way. I think I may need get them a little closer to the lights to start. Nathan says the warm cinnamon in the pots smells soooo good, lol!

Nathan, planting his MG seeds

My setup, everything is ready to grow!

Last edited by Sherie0001; 01-25-2014 at 06:10 PM..
Old 01-25-2014, 05:55 PM
Tree

I'll be getting mine started on Monday, It's been a very cold busy week, plus my plant room has no room so they will go in the mini greenhouse, along with a tray or 2 of bottom heating 'matts'.
Old 01-25-2014, 06:20 PM
Flower

Nice pics, sherie0001! I love your newspaper pots.
I don't know if you want to do it but I have the same kind of lights and I just screwed 2 cup hooks into the shelf above the plants and wrapped a short piece of chain around each end of the light and made it so you can just adjust the height of the light really easily.
Old 01-25-2014, 06:44 PM
Flowering Shrub

Planted my seeds today, along with few others that needed to start early.
Old 01-25-2014, 07:44 PM
Flower Garden

Sherri, that is excellent!! Nate is doing a wonderful job!! And the kitty is even helping out~lol~Oh boy look at all your sunshine, it won't be long before all your babies can go outdoors

Sounds good skayc1, plant them when you are ready to go!

Alright vivey

and then the hardest part~waiting for them to come up Hopefully they will all pop right up like cfiegel! LOL, I always have to stop myself from digging the little seeds up to see if they have sprouted yet~

Oh and an update, my great priced seed mat I got on ebay does not work! I'm not even sure I can return it as I didn't plug it in when I received it a few weeks ago.
Old 01-25-2014, 08:05 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to mickeys_rose Send a message via Yahoo to mickeys_rose Send a message via Skype™ to mickeys_rose
I might plant mine in Feb as in March we start getting decent weather and most times we don't get to many frosts. I am excited with the rest of you all. This is going to be a great year for MGs I am claiming it!
-->