Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > Flowers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2014, 10:51 AM
Flower Garden

Morning glory growout 2014~lets get growing!

Hi everyone and a big welcome to the 2014 morning glory growout 'How to'

If you are just now discovering the grow out and wish to join in, either to grow or to just follow along we would love to have you! I still have plenty of morning glory seeds to give away if you wish to try them~

This grow out is both to teach you how to grow morning glories and for us gardeners who are wishing for spring to have something growing in the house as we wait. We will be having a lot of fun with this one as we plant, take and share pictures and learn from each other.

Go to this post first tho to catch up and see what you will need to start these beautiful flowers indoors at this time of year.
Morning glory growout 2014 ~Instrest thread
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ok, all of us should now have everything we need to plant and grow our morning glories.

The next step is to germinate our seeds.

Morning glories have a very hard seed coat that has to be broken before germination can occur. Outdoors mother nature takes care of that eventually. But indoors we need to mimic mom nature.

The easiest way I have found to break the seed coat is to just nick the seeds and soak them before I plant them. You can just soak them overnight, but sometimes the coats are stubborn.

Here is a video on youtube I made of this next step. Follow this step today and then tomorrow we will begin planting! As always if you have any questions or want to share with the group how you do it then post away!!

For the rest of the group, start your cameras and share your pictures. Your setup does not have to be pretty, it just needs to function as you want it to. And seeing your pictures helps the rest of us to see what works in different environments.

Ready,set, this party is starting~ GO

http://youtu.be/qaa1oBqV0a0
Old 01-24-2014, 11:29 AM
Flowering Shrub

Great vid! Can't wait until I get home and start soaking my seeds
Old 01-24-2014, 11:43 AM
Flower

I started a variety of seeds 3 days ago and discovered that the morning glories(which I nicked and did not soak) germinated in 2 days! I then had a problem with them reaching the top of my container more quickly than the other seeds. So since I don't have a lot of room I had to figure a way to give proper light in a small space and stay low budget. So I thought I'd share what I came up with. I have the seeds growing on the top shelf of my plant rack so I accidentally found a 24" plant grow light at Walmart that has an on/off switch and an ac cord for $10.97. I built the light stand below out of 3/4" pvc pipe. I can adjust the height of the light with the chain. I also did not glue the pvc pipe so when seeds are done I can take it apart and save for next time. I'm also going to make one for a small table so when I transplant the seedlings to 4 in pots they will have their own light stand. All of the materials(the light, chain, and pvc pipe) cost a total of $22.00! Hope this helps those of you who have limited space and are on a tight budget!

List of materials- 2 - 5' lengths of 3/4" PVC pipe, 2 - 4' pieces of chain, 2 - 3/4 " PVC Ts, 2 3/4" PVC Elbows , 4 - 3/4" end caps(not necessary but looks nice), 2 "S" hooks and 1 - 24" plant grow light(Walmart in the light dept)

I used a hacksaw to cut the PVC pipe into the following pieces - 4 - 6 " pieces, 3 - 24" pieces. Fit all the pieces as shown in the picture below

Old 01-24-2014, 11:46 AM
Flower Garden

Alright!! Thank you!

These videos seem to be working well and for me it's easier then attempting to explain my pictures~every so often you hit upon something that works
Old 01-24-2014, 11:50 AM
Flower Garden

cfiegel I really love your set up. Even better that you can move it where you need it!!

Thanks so much for sharing this
Old 01-24-2014, 02:12 PM
Flowering Shrub

I just got my soilless mix hydrated so it's evenly moist for tomorrow. I started by filling the pots with dry mix and putting them in water to hydrate, but it didn't work. After an hour they were still dry and trying to float (I had them weighted down into the water). I dumped them out into a large bowl, added hot water and started to mix. I was surprised at how much water it took and how much mixing it took to get it to start sucking up the water. Now it's sitting on the counter and ready to be put back into the pots tomorrow. I figured that by letting it sit in the bowl all night, it would equalize the moisture levels so I don't have any dry spots. Later tonight I'll nick the seeds and get them soaking.
Old 01-24-2014, 02:36 PM
Flower Garden

I also have my soil mix ready, soaked and draining. Seeds are hoppin happy that they will be planted soon.
Old 01-24-2014, 02:40 PM
Tree

Cfiegel - love your setup! Sounds like the seeds and seedlings love it too.

Fearadyn - the videos are awesome! Both of them so far have been so informative - you're doing a super job. Can't wait for the next!
Old 01-24-2014, 02:50 PM
Flower Garden

Fear I think that you are doing a great job with the viedos - simple and easy to follow and very clear to understand. Thanks. I will be clipping seeds and bathing them overnight.
Did I say I was excited
Old 01-24-2014, 03:07 PM
Flower Garden

Thanks guys and you are welcome!!

Yea those peaty and coir soil mixes take forever to soak up water, you did it just right! From this point tho as long as you don't let them dry out again they should continue soaking up the water.

Here are the next two videos since you guys are so close to planting anyway

Planting the seeds~http://youtu.be/qoNhoK_L4MU

Adding ~Diatomaceous earth and Cinnamon ~http://youtu.be/djRAqlpckeE
Old 01-24-2014, 05:25 PM
Flower Garden

I use diotomaceous earth in my pool filter but of course it is not of the food grade. Where would I go to buy food grade diotomaceous earth. Do they carry it at the garden centers or do I have to go to an agri store? Would ground egg shells do the same thing? I use them for deterring snails in the garden.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:04 PM
Flower Garden

Excellent question and I was going to give you a wrong answer till I looked and found out I was wrong~lol Thats how it is with grow out's I learn as much as everyone else

There is a difference between them as the one for pool filters has a tubelike structure and is treated with chemicals. In short it won't work for killing larvae in the soil.

Eggshells won't do the trick either as the bladelike structures of the diatoms in the earth is microscopic.

But you can go to any feed and seed store or hardware store that sells chicken supplies and get the food grade, it was only like three dollars for that big container I showed on the video.

If all else fails and you can't find it I'd be happy to send you a ziplock bag of it.

I's not critical to add it right away, but it does for sure help to keep the seedlings alive. I now use it in all my container plants that I bring inside for winter. Last year I didn't use it and I had issues with those gnats all winter and I lost seedlings to them also. This year I've only seen like one or two and they don't seem to last long. Huge difference!!

This will also be my first year using it to grow seeds, so I'm hoping to see another big difference there too.

http://www.oisat.org/control_methods...ous_earth.html

This article talks about the difference of the diatomaceous earth in pool filters as compared to food grade~
http://www.ehow.com/info_10057503_di...t-killers.html
Old 01-24-2014, 06:20 PM
Flower Garden

But that said I just looked up the ground eggshells and it works in much the same way in the outdoor garden as the earth~

But I could not find any articles about if it works the same with indoor seedlings~

If anyone knows or has used it like this chime in! In the meantime why not use it and see how well it works, it for sure won't harm anything.

http://www.getbusygardening.com/2013...t-control.html

http://www.gardenguides.com/127775-e...gardening.html
Old 01-24-2014, 06:55 PM
Sprout

Good luck to everyone. I have never really tried growing flowers, I am interested in seeing all the progress!!
Old 01-24-2014, 08:20 PM
Flower Garden

Thanks for the articles, they were most helpful. Off to the feed store I will go to make sure that I have the right stuff. The egg shells worked great for the slugs but it was the bugs that ate my last grow out plants. I don't want to take that chance again.
-->