Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > Flowers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2008, 08:27 AM
Sprout

Growing Iris from Seed

Has anyone ever grown iris from seed? I know of course that you can divide them about every 3 years or so and have great results with that. But I have received some seed from a beautiful dark blue iris that grows about 3 feet tall. I don't know the name of the iris, but will try to find that out in case it has specific requirements to grow from seed. From what I've read on other web sites, it could take as long as a year for the seeds to sprout!! (I'm not the most patient gardener either!) Does anyone know if that is really the case? And if so, is there any way to speed up that process? Any info would be appreciated - thanks so much!
Old 03-19-2008, 11:32 AM
Flower Garden

A year???????

I'm with you coach. I got some iris seeds too and I sure hope they dont take a year to take off. I'm not that patient either and I have plans for them for this summer. Enquiring minds want to know!! What's the scoop on these iris seeds? I'm also wondering how hard it is to grow them from seed. If they are going to take a year then I have to redo my plans for the garden I'm putting in this year.
Thanks,
Deb
Old 03-19-2008, 02:33 PM
Deactivated Account per member request

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtyfingernails
No trick. Just put them in seed raising mix and keep them just barely moist. Best put the pot in semi shade, so it doesn't dry out.
If it is fresh seed they should start to germinate after 6 weeks, if it is old seed it is better to soak it for a few days, changing the water daily. If the seed is from bearded irises, then strstifying in the fridge will help you get quicker germination. Put the seed in some damp peat moss, or paper towell, roll up in a sandwich bag or similar, and put in the vegie crisper for a few weeks. You may even have some seed starting to germinate after this time.
Plant them out into the garden, or larger pots in early Spring, and you will get some bloom on them the following Spring.
Expect a wide variety of offspring if they are bearded irises, or louisiannas. Even if they look exactly like the parent plant, the will be genetically different, and cannot be given the name of the parent.

I found this online at another gardening forum. Hope it helps you out.
Bill
Old 03-20-2008, 07:09 AM
Sprout

Thanks Bill! I had read that you would need to soak the seed if they are dry. So I'm already doing that. I will definately start them in the fridge and see what happens with that.
Old 03-28-2008, 08:47 PM
Flower Garden

I'm soaking my seeds now. I will also be putting them in the fridge. I'm hoping this works out. LOL I'm new to all of this and don't have a clue what I'm doing. Can ya tell??
Thanks for the info!!
Deb
Old 09-20-2011, 02:34 PM
Acorn

Thumbs up

Hi there: Just a overall tip for starting from seed. If the seed coat is hard "soak it" at least 24 hours to soften the seed coat. If it returns year after year it is a perennial and needs a cold snap "stratify" 4-6 weeks in the fridge. I keep all my seed in the fridge to keep fresh.
I hope this helps and hello from Campbellford, Ontario Can

Regards,
Deb
-->