Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > Flowers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2009, 11:28 PM
Sprout

Ways to get plants free or cheap

For the past 10 years my family and I have lived on a fixed income due to my work related disability. So when it comes to gardening, needless to say, it is a luxury and not a necessity. That was one of the reasons for joining Plant Swap, so that I could trade what I have with someone else for something I would like. Since I joined, everyone I have met and/or traded with have been so kind and generous. It makes me feel good if I can pass along some of my frugal secrets of how to obtain plants for free or cheap. My first frugal secret was to ask professional gardening companies in neighborhood communities to give you the old perennials or tulips that they are replacing with new colored flowers. My newest frugal find this week was at Lowes Home Improvement Store. I stopped into Lowes to pick up a part that I needed for my kitchen, but while I was there, I was drawn to the gardening department like a moth to a flame. I was admiring all of the beautiful plants knowing that it wasn't in my budget to buy what I liked but then I saw it! "CLEARANCE PLANTS!" Many of the plants on clearance were two steps away from the grave but then I saw my diamond in the rough! "Gerber Daises!" Gerber Daises which are normally $4.95 each were market down to $.50 each. Granted they didn't look 100% but they were far from dead. The flowers had bloomed and were getting tired but the plants were as strong as could be. I bought 12 plant. Without being on clearance, they would have been $59.40 but because they were only $.50 each. It cost me $6.00. A savings of $53.40.
Granted, I would have never bought them at full price but for what I paid, I was able to buy them.
So here is my tip for the week. Always look for sales and don't be afraid to ask for a discount if the plants don't look perfect.
Best of luck in finding Bargains!
Steve

Last edited by dpiautb; 06-05-2009 at 05:09 PM.. Reason: Change the name so others can associate with it
Old 05-31-2009, 06:39 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks for information...Great bargain....

"Even if sin did come into the world through a woman....so did the Saviour!"
Old 05-31-2009, 08:51 AM
Sprout

Congrats to you! I bought gerber daisys for .62 after our flood earlier this month. We got 10" of rain in just a few hours. It had already been raining for a few days so their plants were soaking and starting to look bad. I FILLED a buggy FULL and spent $21!!! I always look for the clearance.
Old 05-31-2009, 09:20 AM
Flower Garden

Steve, you inspired me. So I went to Walmart this morning and got 6-pks of marigolds for .87 and single geraniums (untagged) for .62. What a deal!

Between exchanges on her and donations from (mostly) my sister, a neighbor, and a stranger I have 86 new irises to plant this week. I had been wondering what I would do with that 2 lane driveway I have. One side has my rose/perennial garden and the house and screened porch. The other side has about 4 feet between the cross-ties and the crepe myrtles. I'd say that's a good place for iris alley.

And, Steve, thank you for sharing your story with us. I certainly empathize--I became disabled 3 years ago, and I just can't get accustomed to living on 1/2 of what I used to take home after taxes. The good thing is the wonderful safety net the government casts out for us--don't know what I'd do without it.

Last edited by BarefootGardener; 05-31-2009 at 09:23 AM..
Old 05-31-2009, 10:17 AM
Blossom

Great score Steve,TP and Shirley.

Years ago I lived in the historical part of Portsmouth Va. My yard was crammed packed full of plants. The front and back full of stuff I had mostly gotten from a woman who had an ad in the "trading post". It is like the paper you can buy that has page after page of cars called the "auto trader", only it had page after page of classifieds for furniture, pets, household items etc. Don't know if they are still around, but you may find something similar at a drugstore or gas station.
There was a woman in there that had a come-out- and -dig your own ad. I took the station wagon out there numerous times to get a few things and she would load me up for 20.00. "here try some of this" she wouls say.
Mind you this was about 14 years ago. But see if you have a paper like that where you live. Or try the online version...craigslist.com

I would often have peole walk by and at times park their car and walk up and ask about a certain plant, I of course would give them some...lol.
So never be afraid to talk to someone out working in their yard, you know us gardeners, we love to share.
Old 05-31-2009, 02:59 PM
Sprout

Isn't it the truth frugal gal. Don't be afraid to talk with people, especially gardeners because we all like to share what we have. Also look everywhere for those deals, you just might be pleasantly surprised what you find.
I would love to see a picture of iris alley when it is done and all in bloom. I bet it will look spectacular. Boy do I wish I had more places to plant like you Shirley, but when you live in a community (1st time in a community and never again) you only have a postage stamp of property. Hopefully in a year or two when my youngest son graduates from high school, we will try to move and I will have my dream home. Or should I say my dream property. I took a course on beekeeping and even joined a beekeepers association. This way when I have the right spot, I will start keeping bees. Great for pollinatiing my plants and getting home grown honey is an extra bonus! I also plan on raising chickens and a few dairy goats.
Old 05-31-2009, 03:00 PM
Sprout

[I]lovetropicalplants, that was a great find. How are your gerbers doing? I would love to see a picture. I will post by gerber daisy picts later today.
Steve[/I]
Old 06-01-2009, 07:51 PM
Sprout

Here are some pictures of my Clearance Gerber Daisies.
Old 06-01-2009, 08:18 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to mickeys_rose Send a message via Yahoo to mickeys_rose Send a message via Skype™ to mickeys_rose
Those are great Steve! My mother did the same thing the other week when we went to Lowe's, got some really nice plants on clearance rack. She got some Gazania's , Rudbeckia regular, some New Guniea Impatients and some other things. I got some succulents for 10 cents each bought all they had!

I dream the same dream too. To have my own property and dig where I want to. I would also love some chickens. They are great little creatures, there is nothing like a farm fresh egg!!!
Goats are great as long as you have really good fencing or there goes the garden they eat everything!! LOL
I also love bees and always wanted my own hive. My DH is scared to death of them so I guess that is a pipe dream!
Old 06-02-2009, 07:13 AM
Flower

Love those Gerbers!
Old 06-04-2009, 06:39 PM
Sprout

Here is another way to get free plants!

It is not uncommon for churches to decorate the altar with flowers and plants, especially around Easter. Plants like Tulips, Daffodils, Hyacinth and especially Easter Lilies are what you will generally see. After Easter is over and the flowers start to show signs of wear and tear, the plants are removed from the altar. They are either thrown out or given to parishioners who want to take them home. Last year (2008), I was fortunate enough to be at the right place at the right time. I was at church when they were clearing the altar and was able to take home 2 Easter Lily plants. I would have brought home more except that my wife was embarrassed to take these sad looking plants home. I would up planting them and this year they have bloomed beautifully. Here is a picture I took of them today.

Steve
Old 06-04-2009, 07:21 PM
Acorn

Send a message via Yahoo to EarthAngel

TalkingGreat ideas!

Thank you for sharing!
My DH is a disabled Marine so this really will assist me greatly in helping to get a nice flower garden.

The daisies are absolutely beautiful!
Old 06-05-2009, 05:10 AM
Tree

Hey guys I never thought about the church flowers,cool,I love to find a clearance plant striving to live & plant it ,baby it, & bring it back to life makes me feel soooo maturnal again.
Old 06-05-2009, 06:20 AM
Sprout

WOW MR! Great find. Succulents for .10 each! I looked at some tiny ones at Home Depot here a few weeks ago and they are $3-$4 each. Did you get enough to trade any?
Old 06-07-2009, 04:14 PM
Sprout

craigslist...

I wanted to show off my recent craigslist.com find - it is great place for people who feel spending a ton of money on plants is just not right (like myself!) -
I saw a posting for ferns and drove 1/2 an hour away to find a lady with fantasic native ferns 3 and 4 years old, that she digs and sells as a hobby! For a couple of bucks I got a few great painted ladies and christmas ferns... Next year I'll be ready to trade these beauties!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00275.jpg (100.8 KB, 6 views)
-->