Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > Flowers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2012, 06:11 PM
Blossom

Cheap Plant Labels

I bought a box of obselete 4"x4" ceramic tiles at a Re-Use-It store for $3.00 for 100. I use a paint marker to write the info on the tile and tuck it up close to the plant. The paint will last two seasons before it needs a touch up.

Hope this helps,
Bill
Old 01-09-2012, 07:55 PM
Flower Garden

So looking forward to starting and learning.
I remember how excited I was when I grew a canna lily from seed and it acturally grew into a real plant - I felt on top of the world and had to tell everyone who would listen - even those who did not know what a canna lily was.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:06 PM
Bush

Originally Posted by Gardener Guy View Post:
I bought a box of obselete 4"x4" ceramic tiles at a Re-Use-It store for $3.00 for 100. I use a paint marker to write the info on the tile and tuck it up close to the plant. The paint will last two seasons before it needs a touch up.

Hope this helps,
Bill
what a great idea, Bill
Old 01-09-2012, 08:10 PM
Bush

oh....I forgot, I have a few purple canna lily seeds too from a trade.....can I do these the same way, Fearadyn?
Old 01-09-2012, 08:47 PM
Flower Garden

Daylilies and cats? Great question, one I seem to remember from awhile ago when I was looking into growing them!

here is a link to just such a discussion~
http://www.au.gardenweb.com/forums/l...101418189.html

Near the end of the posts was this one~

"I have spoken to my vet who has said a cat would have to consume almost a whole day lily plant for it to be toxic, and to be more careful of oleander whicoh would kill cats, dogs, birds, children... anyone who consumed any part of it."

I think I would have to agree, daylilies are so common and in most neigborhoods that if there was a big issue with this we would have heard more about it by now.

Of course I also say calling your own vet is the thing to do if you are concerned about growing any plant around animals.

But after you look into it if you want to join in the growout just let me know. You are most welcome to join in!

Gardner guy, that is a super idea and one I would never have thought of, I'm for sure going to do this!! Thank you!!

Another great question!

I love growing cannas from seed!! In fact I have some that I'm going to be starting soon. I had a few that survived my attempt from last year. They grew a nice big corm over the summer. I really didn't have the correct lighting for them indoors or I would think that all of them would have survived. They are another tough little plant.

And yes you can use the same method, at least for the H2o2 part of the germination process. I did and it works great! Also if you start them soon, the
H2o2 mix is 10% hydrogen peroxide to 90% water. But it does not have to be exact, alittle more or less won't hurt anything. You can tell if you have enough of the hydrogen in the water because you will see little bubbles staying around the seeds.

Just remember with cannas you will need to file or use a nail clipper to clip away a small part of the seed coat which is very hard. With daylilies you don't have to do this. This is what I did and when the white sprout began to emerge I went ahead and planted them in a seed starting mixture. They seemed to do better there then on the gravel. But if you have extra you could try one or two on the gravel and put the rest in the seed starting mixture and then compare.

Be sure to put them in some good light and a place that stays warm when they do come up.

Anyway here is a good link that I used last year.~http://www.cooltropicalplants.com/gr...from-seed.html

The only thing I have trouble with is growing them covered in a plastic bag, I always seem to get mold. That took out the first few and the rest did just fine for me without it. But then it could just be my environment or seed mix that I used.

Great luck with them and keep us posted on how they do!
Old 01-09-2012, 09:53 PM
Tree

I would love to join! Oh and The Linda-Sierra daylily is Gorgeous!

Last edited by skayc1; 01-09-2012 at 10:03 PM..
Old 01-09-2012, 10:05 PM
Blossom

daylily growout

Fear, getting more and more excited. I know I should know this but how long does it take them to bloom if grown from seed??Will have to read those links you posted.
Oh Plant markers, I use window blinds (white) and write on it with a pencil. Stick 1 in by the plant and bury another along with it when I plant it. I have some that are 4 yrs old or better and you can still read it like you wrote it yesterday. you just cut the blind with scissors. I usually look for blinds that the boxes are opened and ask for a percent off, or Home Depot will give you the pieces that they cut off to custome fit blinds that ppl order. Just the cheep white plastic blind and a pencil like you use in class. Last 4 ever!! Oh and when the plant assign cuts the 1 stuck in the ground with the weedeater, I have one buried that he can't destroy so I never lose any names..
Old 01-09-2012, 10:20 PM
Blade of Grass

Yes this sounds fun. I'd like to join in.

I read the previous links about cats, and also about the damping off. Very interesting.

Last edited by PlantSwapCookie; 01-10-2012 at 05:56 PM..
Old 01-10-2012, 12:09 AM
Flower Garden

Wow we are up to 12 already!! We still have more room for people!

1-Pondlady-have address
2-Sherrih-have address
3-Swamplady-have address
4-RiverRock-have address
5-Bustaed17-have address
6-Rangergirl56m-have address
7-Cicindy9-have address
8-Diane-have address
9-MamaDawna-have address
10-GardenerGuy-have address
11-Skyc1-have address
12-PlantSwapCookie-have address

Sherri, thats super fine! Thats what we are here for! It usually takes two years from seed before the plant gets big enough to bloom. For you with the way the weather has been going it could be less as yours won't die back as much in the winter months. Or I would say it could be a bit less for anyone who keeps them in pots in a greenhouse.

Thanks for the tips on the blinds! They work good and I use them, one whole section of one of my gardens is filled with them from the last batch of daylilies I started~but I think I keep cutting them too short and they wind up blowing away

Last edited by fearadyn; 01-10-2012 at 02:00 PM..
Old 01-10-2012, 02:04 AM
Blossom

Labels and Stamps

Another label I use aluminum duck tape, not the cloth stuff but real aluminum metal with an adhesive backing. It found in hardware stores. I cut it in half length wise and it will fit on a mini blind stake. Before putting it on the mini blind, I lay it on a piece of craft foam and write the information on it using a ball point pen. Your not really writing but embossing the letters into the metal. These are great for plant swaps and yard sales.

Another trick I used was to write the names of the plants on smooth river rocks and place them close the the trees and shrubs. For years, my wife thought I was absolutely brillant, knowing the common and botanical name of all the plants. I would spout them off when showing the garden off to visitors. That all came to an end when she found the rocks had writing on them.
When do you want us to send you the stamps? Is two stamps enough?
Old 01-10-2012, 02:07 PM
Flower Garden

Oh my gosh all these ideas are super awesome! I've got to try them all now.

I know whenever I go into a hardware store I will just go and stare at things trying to come up with ways I can use them. Sales people will often come up thinking I am alittle off and say "Umm, can I help you?"

Keep the great ideas coming guys and thank you thank you
Old 01-10-2012, 08:40 PM
Blossom

daylily growout

Gardenguy, I really like both those plant tag ideas. I love to put rocks near all my plants even in my contianers. What kind of paint do you use, I'm sure it would have to be something that would withstand the weather??
Old 01-10-2012, 11:07 PM
Flower Garden

Gardener Guy I would also like to know what you use to write on the rocks. I have tried a few times and keep loosing the information. Have not yet tried a paint pen but that would be my next thought. Could you share what it is that you use?
Old 01-11-2012, 09:48 AM
Bush

Originally Posted by Gardener Guy View Post:

Hope this helps,
Bill
he said he used a paint marker for the tile so I bet that is what he uses for the rocks as well.....
Old 01-11-2012, 04:39 PM
Blade of Grass

Here are all the things I am learning--and we haven't even started yet! Can't Wait!

#Interesting specs on Daylilies. The scientific name for daylily is Hemerocallis.
http://www.daylilies.org/AHSfaq1.html#whatis

#Damping off problems
#Sterilizing seeds in mild bleach solution
#Soaking seeds in a Hydrogen Peroxide solution for germination and to break dormancy
#Sprouting seeds on gravel (this reminds me of hydroponics)
#Cross Pollination of tet (tetraploids) and dip (diploids)
#Outdoor plant markers (burying a 2nd; using rocks)
#Identifying and researching toxicity hazards
#Isolating plants from pets; problem solving
#Trading and prices at LilyAuctions

I sent you my stamps on Tuesday.
If I get a green thumb from this I may have to buy a greenhouse!
-->