Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > Flowers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2012, 07:14 AM
Bush

Hi Fearadyn, DON'T SAY I DIDN'T WARN YOU! I checked out the sites you posted and first I will say I'm amazed at how much some of these cost! WOW! There are some beauties though. My husband would keel over if I spent that much on a plant. OK here come the questions:
1.) I noticed on the one site at around step 14 there is boiling water used for something....What and Why?
2.) What do we use the peroxide for? Does this help the seeds germinate somehow?
I am getting very excited to give it a try! Thanks for all the help and info!
Old 01-08-2012, 12:47 PM
Flower Garden

This is wonderful!

Yes, I know. There is no way I could ever spend that much money on any plant, which is why I grow them from seed. I figure it is worth the wait!

I will be going over each step in depth once we start the acutal growout, but I think it's great to get a sence of it now. These are great questions and all questions are very welcome

We are not going to follow exactly the 'Daylily on the rocks' link. I just wanted people to see how they do grow once they are on the gravel.

"Boiling water"
When he is talking about boiling water, he is talking about pouring boiling water over his seed starting mix to make it as sterile as possible before he plants the sproutlings. Doing this can cut down on what is called 'damping off'

"Damping-off is a common disease that kills seedlings in the greenhouse. Damping-off can kill both germinating seeds and young seedlings. Several fungi can cause this disease, including Rhizoctonia solani, Pythium spp., Phytophthora spp., Sclerotinia spp., and Botrytis spp. Most of these fungi can also cause cuttings to rot. These fungi are found in practically all soils and pose a large threat to plant propagation. Practically all species of plants can be affected. "

Here is a link to a good web page that explains this~http://www.hort.uconn.edu/ipm/greenhs/htms/dampofgh.htm

"A second way to help prevent this disease is to encourage the seeds to germinate and grow as fast as possible. Plants are only susceptible to damping-off as seedlings. "

When I was experimenting I did encounter this when planting the daylily seeds too soon even after I tried to sterilize the potting mix with boiling water and this is why we will be keeping the seeds on the gravel until they outgrow the cups.

Once they reach this size any good seed starting mix is fine, trying to sterilize the mix is optional and by this time it won't be long before we can put them outside.

Hydrogen peroxide, or H2o2~

A 10% soak in water, in our case we will have the daylily seeds soaking in this until we see white sprouts, helps to break seed dormancy and promote germination. A thought is also out there that this helps promote better root growth and can cut down on damping off.

There are different thoughts out there as to why this helps to break seed dormancy and promote gernimation. I get the sence that no one truly knows the why of it. Here is a link to one such study with another type of seed~http://pcp.oxfordjournals.org/content/42/3/286.abstract

In my own experimenting I found that this method works incredibly well, not only with daylily seeds but many other seeds as well.

Keep the questions coming

Last edited by fearadyn; 01-08-2012 at 12:51 PM..
Old 01-08-2012, 03:02 PM
Bush

Gotcha Fear, Wonder why your classes are so much more interesting than the ones I took in high school and college? I'm not even thinking about napping!
Old 01-08-2012, 04:23 PM
Sprout

Originally Posted by cicindy9 View Post:
Gotcha Fear, Wonder why your classes are so much more interesting than the ones I took in high school and college? I'm not even thinking about napping!
That's what happens when you ENJOY a subject lol
Old 01-08-2012, 04:31 PM
Flower Garden

Old 01-08-2012, 06:31 PM
Flower Garden

Chewing gum and bringing your pets to class is allowed!

Ok, now to get your daylily appetites going, here are some pics of what just some of the parents of the seeds I will be sending look like~(a big thanks to the growers for providing pictures) I love big, bold and flashy flowers and this is just a small sampling of the seeds I have.

Also remember the plant you grow will hopefully be the best of what the crosses have to offer. So anotherwords I am hoping the ones you grow will look even better then these parents.

I will be picking seeds for each person at ramdom, but I can tell you that all of them look to be awesome flowers!

Priscillas_Smile

mysticimage

Linda-Sierra

lighterthenair

Glamorousmouse

Santaslittlehelper
Old 01-08-2012, 07:22 PM
Blossom

daylily grow out

Fear,Those are some beautiful lilies. Wish there was a way to get them to grow and bloom faster Can't wait to get those babies started!!
Old 01-08-2012, 09:36 PM
Flower Garden

Those are beautiful flowers. I am getting very excited to start.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:12 PM
Blossom

I would love to participate in this experiment. I have only propagated day lillies by division. I should have collected seeds from my starts this year.

Bill
Old 01-08-2012, 11:17 PM
Flower Garden

Hi there Bill, I would love to have you be part of this!! I warn you tho, by next year you will be crossing daylilies and collecting seeds like crazy!!
Old 01-09-2012, 10:37 AM
Flower Garden

Todays lesson~everybody get their gum out and ready to chew!

Daylily lingo diploid, tetraploid~Just what the heck does all that mean??

Here is a good example:

HYBRIDIZERS DESCRIPTION:

Braided Lightning (Benz-J., 2005)

height 28", bloom 5.5", season M, Rebloom, Dormant, Tetraploid, Fragrant, 30 buds, 3 branches, Red with gold braided edge above green throat. (Red Lightning Startle)

Well here is a good site faq page that will help you learn. As with all such things it's only hard till you get the hang of it! Have fun reading!

http://www.daylilies.org/AHSfaq1.html#whatis
Old 01-09-2012, 11:57 AM
Bush

Old 01-09-2012, 02:28 PM
Flower Garden

If I could only remember all that I read on the site I would be doing great. It must be an old age brain thing. So much to remember and process.I have bookmarked that site and will refer to it often I think. WOW, I sure hope these seeds grow for me.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:47 PM
Flower Garden

~lol~Me too!! I often say that between David and me our memory is about the size of a pea.

Don't let it trip you up, you don't need to remember it all, it's just a good reference point once your addiction kicks in

The main thing to remember at this point is weather the seed (and or plants)you are planting is a tet (tetraploid) or dip (diploid). You can only cross tets to tets and dips to dips. It's a good thing to keep track of for the future when you are out there happily cross pollinating them.

Actually keeping track of what is where is the most difficult part for me, I have the hardest time coming up with a cheap plant marker that will last thru a few seasons. Either they don't last, or they blow away or the marker fades.

Now, keeping track of what is what is optional, sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. If you ever grow one out that you want to register then it helps to know the parentage, but it is not the absolute rule.

I can almost guarantee that once you see how easy they are to grow from seed you will be scouting all daylily plants you know of to get seed to grow more of them!

We will be going one step at a time and I'm here to support you for each of those steps. If those seeds don't grow then I havn't done my job. Besides I have plenty of seed to go around and if for some odd reason they get mouldy and mushy then you can assume that the seed was bad from the start and I will for sure replace them. So don't you worry in a few months everyone in the growout is gonna have cute little seedlngs!

It all sounds complicated, but once you start doing it it becomes less and less so. Plus you can take everything you have learned and use it with other types of seed.

Last edited by fearadyn; 01-09-2012 at 03:55 PM..
Old 01-09-2012, 04:26 PM
Blade of Grass

Are daylilies the ones to keep away from cats?
-->