Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > Flowers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2012, 12:20 AM
Blossom

Fearadyn, these directions are great, even an old fool like me can follow them. I can’t wait to get started. A couple of years ago I played around with plant tissue culture. Here I learned the hard way how easy it is to spread diseases, viruses and molds from one specimen to another. I would like to recommend the following to help insure a good grow out of these seeds.
Everything we going to use should be washed several times in hot soapy water, rinsed well and then air dried. Using your 10% bleach solution everything should be soaked for an hour, dried and stored in Zip-Lock bags until we are ready to use it. The gravel should be soaked for 24 hours in the bleach solution then rinsed and soaked again 24 hours in fresh bleach solution. Dry the gravel as quickly as you can [a hair dryer works well] and store in a Zip-Lock bag until you’re ready to use it. Anyone who had an aquarium can tell you about the things that live in the nooks and crannies of the gravel.
Later on after the seeds sprout we will have to pick them up to move them into their starting pots. The best tool for this is stainless steel forceps. I store mine in a screw top jar filled with plain rubbing alcohol. Every time I touch plant material, it is dipped into the container before I pick up the next one. I have a large jar I use with my pruning shears outdoors.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:39 AM
Flower Garden

Gardener Guy what wonderful suggestions. I never thought about soaking the gravel. But, I did have an aquarium for a time and I know for sure that there are lots of nasty things that live there. Thanks for the additional advice.
For an old guy – you’re not too bad.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:37 AM
Bush

Originally Posted by skayc1 View Post:
Mr Postman had better deliver the seeds tomorrow, cause I'm ready all except the gravel, and am going to lowes tomorrow...gotta spend some bday money!
Happy Birthday, Skay....today is mine.....
Old 01-23-2012, 08:39 AM
Blade of Grass

That's a good reminder. Before doing this growout I never would have thought of sterilizing or been willing to put the time in it. I see the need for it now.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:02 AM
Tree

Happy Birthday MamaDawna!
Old 01-23-2012, 11:16 AM
Blade of Grass

Happy Birthday everyone!
Old 01-23-2012, 11:17 AM
Blade of Grass

Originally Posted by SwampLady View Post:
Gardener Guy what wonderful suggestions. I never thought about soaking the gravel. But, I did have an aquarium for a time and I know for sure that there are lots of nasty things that live there. Thanks for the additional advice.
For an old guy – you’re not too bad.
What made you give up your aquarium?
Old 01-23-2012, 11:55 AM
Flower Garden

PlantSwapCookie, I gave my aquarium to my daughter. I now live in a small 4 room house and really do not have the room for an aquarium. I do miss it though. Watching the fish swim around was so peaceful and relaxing. For a time – many, many, years ago, I actually raised and sold Beta fish. That was a lot of fun.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:12 PM
Flower Garden

Happy Birthday you guys!! That postman better get on the ball!!

Yep you can be excited, thats why I grow them, for the excitment of not knowing what the blooms will look like.

For sure you will all have never seen before daylilies!! Plus just from looking at most of the parent plants, these little guys should be amazing!!

And yea, by the time they bloom you will be experts on growing them and I can almost say for sure you will all be out there cross pollinating to get even newer crosses!!

Now, I have a feeling that Gardener Guy may be one of the next big growers!! I am only surprised that you havn't gotten into it yet!! Tell me why. Tissue culture Wow! That is way beyond me!

Your advice is most welcome, you have my deep thanks, as are tips and guidence from all you awesome gardners!! Chime in everyone~we are all here and hungry to learn from you!!

Followiing the steps he recommended will take a bit of extra time, but be worth it to know you are doing everything possible to avoid extra problems~

I would love to see more of these growouts~hint, hint to all of you!!
Old 01-23-2012, 01:23 PM
Blade of Grass

My goodies are all in their cups on a plate under tin foil. Not too interesting right now.

Swamplady, I would like to get an aquarium some day maybe. That does sound peaceful.
Old 01-23-2012, 02:14 PM
Tree

Spent my b-day money ! besides getting - flower & Vegetable potting soil, cactus soil, and Perlite, I also got a bare-root rose-Angel Face which I already planted in a temporary container for now. Still waiting on the daylily growout seeds. I got an email letting me know to start looking for the daylily seeds I ordered from the auction site.

Old 01-23-2012, 03:00 PM
Blade of Grass

Nice!
Old 01-23-2012, 04:23 PM
Flower Garden

Beautiful! I love roses. That would be too funny if you got all the seeds on the same day~what a great surprise that would be!

Excellent Plantswapcookie! Take some pics of your set up, I think thats a great idea!
Old 01-23-2012, 04:34 PM
Flower

I am one of the few who still think "Ditch" Lillies are beautiful, and have a only a few different colored ones. I would love to be included in this!
Thanks,
SR
Old 01-23-2012, 05:21 PM
Flower Garden

You are most welcome to join in!! I agree, the ditch lily is the parent of all the modern daylilys today, I have a bunch of them also!

Just make sure to read thru all the instructions and posts to get caught up, unless you already have~I'll be pm~ing you for address exchanges.

When you are done hop on over to the 'daylily~lets get started thread and say hi to everyone!
-->