Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > Flowers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2012, 07:44 PM
Flower Garden

Daylily growout, sign ups and preparation

Hello and welcome to the first ever daylily grow-out. This post will be for sign ups and show what you need for preparation. The actual grow out will begin at the first of February, so we will have a good amount of time for people to sign up and get ready.

Daylilies now grow in every color of the rainbow. To get this variation daylily breeders cross the best to the best for color and the health of the plant. I've been collecting some great crosses from some great growers at the Lily auction site, it's a great place to go and just look at all the variations you can get. But with the crosses I have you never know, you might just have the next most popular lily in any of these seeds!

Here is a link if you would like to see some of these beauties~ http://daylily.com/cgi-bin/auction.cgi?cultivarsgnew

Some daylilies go for hundreds of dollars a fan! I kinda look at growing these from seed like a lottery ticket, you might just have the winning number! The only drawback is that it takes a few years from seed to bloom. But it's so much fun it's worth the wait at least for me.

Daylilies are easy to grow and do well in most zones, once they are established they don't need much care and come back year after year. Starting them from seed is not hard if the seed has been collected dried and stored properly.

Which means, good seed was harvested, dried for about two days and then stored in ziplock baggies in the fridge for at least three weeks.

Use the seeds I send you as the standard for seeds you may get in the future, you want them to be nice and plump and shiny black.

Starting them from seed is also fairly easy. The way I do it takes a little extra time but it works and is super fun as you can see them grow a little more almost every day. This is not the only way to grow them, all growers have their own ways they like best, but it's something everyone can do. Plus seeing new growth in Feb really helped me get thru winter.

So lets get started~I have many different crosses (too many to list) and I will be picking crosses at random for everyone. But I will mark the parentage for all of them so you can look up what the parents look like.

I am going to limit the growout to twenty people. I will be surprised if we get that many, but just in case.

Each person in the growout will be getting about six seeds each. And I will try to give you three different crosses. If we don't have very many sign up in the first two weeks then I will increase the number of seeds each.

Sign ups for the group will end on the 23 of January, this will give me time to get the seeds out to everybody by the first of February.

I am going to asking for everyone to send two stamps to cover the cost of postage as the seeds have to be sent in a bubble envelope to protect them.

For preparation you will need~

One huge desire to have fun, learn new things and get along well with others and little fear of picking up a new addiction, I do feel I have to warn you, once you start seeing them grow you will want to keep doing it!

A camera and have the ability to post pictures on the group of your progress. Don't let this scare you off, we all learn and grow by seeing what others do, what works and what doesn't work. This is not a contest, just a way to learn something great and share what you have learned with others.

About six smallish short clear cups, the cheap plastic ones at most stores do fine, or I also use glass small short jelly jars.

Plastic sandwich bags

A place in your home that is warm, stays about 70 degrees and is dark. Some people use a closet or you can do like I do and find a warm nook and cover the seeds with two towels to keep out light.

Small pebbles or gravel. You can buy these at any craft store, but use the natural brown or white. Just make sure the pebbles are small, not sand small, but small. ( I did make the mistake of picking up gravel out of the driveway, don't, it's too big and the seeds just get lost)

A small amount of hydrogen peroxide, this will be a 10% mix with water and may need to be changed out every few days.

A small amount of all purpose liquid fertilizer, like miracle grow, or your favorite.

Seed starting mix and some deep pots with good drainage. (note) you can use large plastic cups with drainage cut out for the bottom. The main thing is that the pot is deep enough for good root growth. One large deep pot will hold six small daylily plants for one season just fine.

Light. Once the daylilies start to grow they need good light, it doesn't have to be super strong, just whatever all your other indoor plants are getting. If you have a greenhouse all the better, but you don't have to have one, or grow lights. But good light will make the young plants stronger faster.

Your favorite way to label and mark what your crosses are. Remember it will be about two years before you will begin seeing any blooms so be sure to keep track of what crosses you have. That way if you grow a winner it will be easier to register it! And if you do you can name the new cross whatever you like.

Optional~small amount of bleach mixed with water to dip the seeds in before you begin germination.

Here is a picture of what you need for the growout~

Gravel this size~

So if you think you would like to learn a way to grow these beautiful plants then sign up~ I would love to share what I know.

Here are pictures of the basic process that we will be following~

Seeds in the 10% hydrogen peroxide solution~

I started last year with like eight seeds, as you can see I liked doing it so much this quickly grew to many seeds~

Breaking out of the seed coat~

Next they go on the gravel~

Then when they are big enough they get planted~

And finally they are outside~

Old 01-05-2012, 08:01 PM
Flowering Shrub

Can I join if I already have a bunch of named cross seedling? Started in december?
Old 01-05-2012, 08:14 PM
Blossom

Daylily grow out

Don't forget about me BESTEST BUDDY!! Ready and waiting, can't wait...Maybe with your help I can keep these growing LOL
Old 01-05-2012, 08:34 PM
Flower Garden

Day Lily grow out

I would love to join - I am new to growing day lillies. My neighbor gave me one as a gift last year and when it bloomed - it had me hooked. Would love to grow more.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:21 PM
Critter Rescue Angel

Can I join please.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:26 PM
Flower Garden

Alright the partys starting!! You bet I would love to have all of you join in! Huggs all around!

I also forgot to say, if you have daylily seeds you are growing or want to grow, feel free to grow them right along with the grow out. Also if you have some you are growing a different way feel free to share that with us also. Our lovely Gayla (pondlady) has been growing them longer then I have, I'm sure she has tons of stuff to teach us and all of it is most welcome!

Anything any of you great gardeners have to teach us is very welcome!

The main thing I am after is to have people go away from this grow out knowing they can do it.

And if you have tried to grow them in the past but they just didn't make it. Tell us what you did and what happened, perhaps together we can figure out what when wrong.

If you are at all like me, trying to grow a new type of plant is a 50/50 thing and my list of mistakes far outweigh the things I do right. But I sometimes learn from my mistakes and eventually get it right I think that all just has to do more with how stubborn I am

Ok so far we have signed up~

Pondlady
Sherrih
Swamplady
Riverrock
Bustaed17~have address

I'll go thru my old pms and see what other addresses I already have and will let you know and send you mine tomorrow.

Once we have all the sign ups done and the seeds are sent out I will start a new post for the actual grow out.

And thanks guys it's already getting exciting!
Old 01-06-2012, 12:42 AM
Sprout

Is there still openings for this? Iwould LOVE to learn how to grow them!
Old 01-06-2012, 08:23 AM
Bush

HI Fear, I'd like to give it a try if there are still any openings. BUT, I warn you, I will probably drive you crazy with stupid questions. Thanks Cindy
Old 01-06-2012, 10:39 AM
Super Moderator

I'd like to try also..sounds fun!

"Even if sin did come into the world through a woman....so did the Saviour!"
Old 01-06-2012, 01:00 PM
Flower Garden

Welcome! There is still plenty of room and seeds to go around.

I'll be contacting everyone today to exchange addresses.

So far we have~

Pondlady-have address
Sherrih
Swamplady
RiverRock-have address
Bustaed17-have address
Rangergirl56m
Cicindy9
Diane
MamaDawna

And Cindy and everyone else ask all the questions you want, between all of us we have gardeners who are just starting out in growing and gardeners who have done this a long time. But the one thing we all have in common is our love to share what we do and pass on what we have learned.

I've only been growing daylilies for a year so I'm not an expert by any means. I didn't even care for them until a year last Febuary a lovely lady offered to give her seeds to people with a fun way to grow them. In the dead of winter it was truly welcome. I had no great lighting inside, no heating pads or ways to keep seeds warm, but I went ahead with it anyway.

This is the link she gave us~http://www.ezdaylilies.com/OTRseeds/1st_test.htm

I started there and began to research what others did. Eventually after trial and much error I took some ideas from one grower and some from others and put together what worked best for me in this not so great seed starting environment.

The one thing you can say about daylily sproutlings, is that they are tough little buggers!

Last edited by fearadyn; 01-06-2012 at 01:50 PM..
Old 01-06-2012, 01:12 PM
Bush

count me in.....would love to try this.....have some Stella d'oro and purple day lily seeds from swaps and I want to try them at the same time.....that gravel almost looks like tiny aquarium gravel....guess I can get it at Walmart's? thanks and am so excited to try this....to tell you how much I know about Lily's, I had some beautiful Amarylis (spelling) come up and asked everyone what kind of lily it was....I was told when the bulbs were give to me they were lillies.....thanks
Old 01-06-2012, 02:28 PM
Flower Garden

Hi MamaDawna, got ya~Yep that gravel sounds just right.

Thats great that you have other daylily seeds, grow them right along with the ones I'll be sending you, just keep them seperate cups so we can compare them all and keep track of how they were stored.

Also, make sure you put them all in the fridge now.

Daylily seeds need a period of cold before they germinate, a good three weeks at least. Ones that have been stored like most other seeds or not in the fridge will have a longer germination period, some just won't do anything. It's about 50/50 with these. But it's always worth giving them a try.

This is why so many people just give up on growing them from seed. But they are tough and as long as the seed is not mushy or mouldy it is good.

Another thing that is good to do especially with the ones that havn't been stored in the fridge is to give them all a twenty minute soak in a solution of 10% bleach in water before you begin germination. Then rinse in plain water. This will help with any mold spores that might be on the seed.

I have had seeds that grew mold when germanating and with these I have put them under running water to get the mold off and then gave them a bleach soak. Some of them grew just fine, others don't.

I have had seeds from some growers that grew mold like fifty percent of the time, with other growers (the ones I stick with) I never see mold. I'm not sure if there is just something that is passed from plant to plant or something that happens in prep and storage. So unless I have grown out seed from any one grower it's always a question on weather I will see it or not.

If any of the seed I send you does this and grows mold, be sure to let me know and I'll send you new seed. Just keep them all seperated.
Old 01-06-2012, 02:32 PM
Bush

ok....great
Old 01-07-2012, 11:33 AM
Flower Garden

Alright we are moving along at a good pace! here is where we are at today~

Pondlady-have address
Sherrih-have address
Swamplady-have address
RiverRock-have address
Bustaed17-have address
Rangergirl56m-have address
Cicindy9-have address
Diane-have address
MamaDawna-have address

We still have plenty of room for people, so if you ever wanted to try your hand at growing daylilies or you already grow them come on an join in
Old 01-07-2012, 12:05 PM
Super Moderator

Lynn...mailed stamps today! Thanks bunches!

"Even if sin did come into the world through a woman....so did the Saviour!"
-->