Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > Flowers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2012, 03:46 PM
Tree

I have one grow light that didn't help much last year, I'll try a few seeds without nicking them to see what happens. I'll save most of the MG seeds for latter.
Old 01-18-2012, 04:08 PM
Bush

Scayc1, If you don't nick the seeds, they will still germinate, and it will be slower, but I agree with fear that they will be too early so to speak and impossible to move outside. You might be better off to try winter sowing them, but I would still wait til maybe March. They do grow VERY quickly and I think it would be very hard to maintain them indoors until past the last frost. My youngest son and I actually measured the growth on a trellis last year, and some of mine grew as much as 2 inches per day. If you germinate them now,I think you would have a full size vine well before spring (assuming they got enough light).
Old 01-18-2012, 04:18 PM
Tree

Maybe what I'll do is winter sow some of the MG's.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:28 PM
Forest

No matter what the season? Like now
Old 01-18-2012, 05:43 PM
Flower Garden

Hi Bali~Welcome~I'm so happy you are here!

Wintersowing is great fun! And just the thing to get you thru the cold dark days of winter!

Here is a great site with loads of information and it gives you the date to start different types of seeds~

http://www.wintersown.org/wseo1/index.html

I've got a cold frame up this year, one day it will be a greenhouse, but in the meantime I'm gonna just put my wintersowing pots in there and see how that works for me.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:09 PM
Forest

Smile

Thanks Feara;
Been a horrible time..But I am out to get ya.
I wrote the ideas down. Will try but s o much stuff to put away , christmas an all.

Did you do tomato seeds or pepper seeds like that? I had a terrible time with peppers last year starting an growing.. Tell us more.. Am loving this .

bali
Old 01-18-2012, 06:23 PM
Flower Garden

I know girl, it's been a hard few years for you! We are all here for ya!

I did soak my pepper seeds in the H202 solution for like a day and then planted them in seed starting mix in the little plantable pots. I put too many in each pot tho and eventually then they all came up like crazy. Then I didn't have the right lighting so I lost most of them, but enough came up that I got a great pepper harvest last year.

I didn't try tomatoes in it. And all the ones I started last year in the house damped off. But I'm gonna try again this year if I can find enough room.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:49 PM
Blade of Grass

Quote :
The daylily seedlings didn't seem to mind, but the morning glories will grow really fast up towards any light source, but then the stem is just to thin and can't support the weight of the leaves. When they are outside they are slower to actually come up, but when they do the stem is much thicker and they get their second true leaves much faster.
I've notice on my privet bushes outside that in the winter the branches and trunks get twice as big and I imagine that the roots love the winter and all that moisture and grow will long, because in spring it sure shoots up fast.
I guess I am saying that maybe plants like cold weather. Or I don't really know what I am saying.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:53 PM
Forest

Smile

Hey cookie
Maybe they suck up moisture..........In winter??
YOu cant be wrong.. Ole mom nature pulls lots of capers

I am ripe for any learning in seeds..
keepit going feara...Love your art an style.

bali
Old 01-18-2012, 09:35 PM
Flower Garden

I winter sowed both tomatoes and peppers last year for the first time and they both did really well. I left them in the jugs until they were really getting crowded and then just put them in the ground as soon as I could dig. They did great and I did not have to harden them off.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:51 PM
Sprout

Great instructions so far! I probably won't be able to post much because I read on my iPad while my munchkin is nursing and its a pain in the butt to type one handed, but don't mark me absent from class, I'm just lurking :-)
Old 01-19-2012, 07:05 AM
Blade of Grass

Heirloom tomatoes are one thing I want to wintersow this year too.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:59 AM
Flower Garden

Good morning everyone, I have a question for you and I would like as many of you to chime in as possible. I am about ready to put up the pics and instructions for step 2. I am trying to decide if it will be easier to start a new thread for step 2 or just put the pics and instructions on this one. If I start a new thread all the pics and instructions are right on the first page and are easy to find.

If I did that then everyone would post pics of their step 1 here and when they get to step 2 they could post pics of that on that thread. Or is it easier to just have them all on this one? Let me know~please, please

Awww, I love munchkins!! Everyone is welcome to participate as much or as little as they are able~the main thing I am concerned with is that after the grow-out is over all of you will feel confident that you can germinate and grow daylilies from seed

Yea, I've got to go thru all my seed hoard for this year and start on my wintersowing. I'm gonna do tomatoes this way for sure.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:02 AM
Bush

Start a Step 2 thread.....
Old 01-19-2012, 08:41 AM
Bush

Do the Daylilies produce seeds readily or do you have to hand pollinate to get them? I have had mine produce pods. These seeds grow inside these?
I usually cut them off early.
Two years ago I found a lady that was growing and she sold me 8 different ones, but there is a Daylily grower about 1 hr.away from me. Not been there
yet, maybe some day. The website is crazy.
One thing that friends of have always told to buy when in flower. So you know what you are getting. I have purchased plants not in flower and they have turned out not to be exactly what I wanted. This can be hard to do unless the grower is close by.
I would imagine you would have to find a reputable source as many other Genera flower types can be digitally mastered to alter colors. I am relatively new to all of this.
I am going to ask our friend Xeolyte if she has an understanding of this as she is a master of photography.
RC
-->