Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > Flowers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2012, 05:24 PM
Flower Garden

Daylily Growout~Lets get started!

Hello and welcome to the first ever Daylily growout on this site!

Everyone is welcome to follow along, ask questions and add encouragment to all the great gardeners involved with the growout.

As of this date, I have a few slots still open if you would wish to join in, just go here to sign up and read thru all the prep~Daylily growout, sign ups and preparation

This current thread will show you how to germinate daylily seeds step by step in a method that I gathered from various places and experimented with last year. It works great, but is by no means the only way to germinate them. Every grower seems to have their own methods they like best.

Some of the steps like the hydrogen peroxide solution in water works great in helping to germinate other types of seed as well. I love to experiment, and if you have extra seeds that you think might do well in this solution I encourage you to try!

Great luck and hopefully this will be alot of fun!!
Old 01-17-2012, 05:33 PM
Critter Rescue Angel

i didnt keep up with the thread not been feeling well, but didnt get seeds either.
Old 01-17-2012, 05:36 PM
Flower Garden

Step 1

Once you recieve your seeds you are welcome to start them~

As you can see I have an assortment of clear cups, you can use any cup but it's easier to see the seeds sprout in the clear ones.

So the first thing you want to do is to mark the cups with the daylily cross~this is optional but is needed if you want to keep track of what is what. You can use tags (I made these with a piece of paper in between two pieces of tape to make it waterproof), or mark the cup with a marker. You can do this however you like.

It also helps to mark the date you started them, again optional~but if you start other batches it is usefull and it will let you know how long each cross took to germinate.

Ok your cups are ready to go, now on to the next part of step 1
Old 01-17-2012, 06:13 PM
Flower Garden

Bleach solution soak

Ok, your cups are ready to go~

Bleach solution soak~

This step is optional, but I do recommend it as it may help avoid any mold issues with the seeds.

This is a 10% bleach in plain tap water dip, swish and soak for your seeds up to twenty minutes. If the seed is from a grower I trust, and they are plump and shiny I usually just give them a quick dip and swish. If they are from a grower I've never gotten seeds from before, depending on how the seed looks to me I will leave them in the soak for ten to twenty minutes.

Once they are dipped, swished and soaked to your preference then rinse them in plain water. I do this by either putting them in another cup of plain water, transferring the seeds by hand. Or rinsing them under the tap. Just be careful if you rinse under the tap, they tend to get away from you!

Here is the bleach solution~in this cup I have put 9 tablespoons of plain water to 1 tablespoon of bleach. I res-use it for most of the seeds I want to dip.

Here are some seeds soaking in the bleach solution~

And now here are some in the plain water rinse~

These seeds are now ready to go into the H202 solution~

Old 01-17-2012, 06:28 PM
Flower Garden

10% h202 in water solution

Alright your seeds have been dipped and are now ready to go into the 10% hydrogen peroxide in water solution.

This is one part h202 to 9 parts water. The water does not have to be any certain tempture, cold or lukewarm is fine.

In this container I put 9 cups of water to 1 cup of hydrogen peroxide. This does not have to be exact and many times I will just eyeball it for what seems to be the correct proportions. You can make up however much or little you want. It just depends on how many seeds you have, or how many cups you want to fill. I usually fill the cups about 3/4th the way full.

Solution is all mixed and ready to pour into the cups~

I fill the cups about 3/4th of the way full, but the amount can be less, it just depends on how many seeds you want in each cup.

Now just add your seeds to each cup~

Old 01-17-2012, 06:45 PM
Flower Garden

Ok, I am following you so far and taking notes also
Old 01-17-2012, 06:52 PM
Flower Garden

Cover the cups and you are ready to germinate

Ok, your seeds are all in their cups. You can put a few or alot of seed in each cup. It just depends on how many seed of each cross you have. It is better not to crowd them tho.

Next take a sandwhich bag and fit it over the top of each cup. This just helps keep anything from falling into the cup. Also as I cover my finished cups with towels to keep out the light, it keeps the towel from soaking up any of the water.

Now move them to where you want them to germinate. Daylilies need darkness to germinate. So, you can put them in a closet, or you can do what I do and put them in a nook and cover them with two towels to keep out the light. The towels work good as they drape over the cups. The main thing is that they are in the dark and that the temp is fairly consistent. This room stays about 69 to 70degrees F. But it can be a bit colder.

Here they are all ready to be covered~

Now they have the towel covering to keep out the light~

And we are ready to germinate~Yup that's me saying hi to you!

Old 01-17-2012, 06:57 PM
Flower Garden

Hi back to you Fear - great easy to follow directions.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:00 PM
Flower Garden

How long do I have to wait?

This is the hard part~waiting!!

I've had them germinate in as little as four days and as long as a month. The main thing to remember is that as long as the seed is not mouldy or smushy it is still viable. Each seed seems to have it's own time to germination.

Once you have them covered, just check them everyday to see if any have germinated.

You should see little bubbles covering each seed and you may see some bubbling in the water. This is what you want to see. If you don't see this by the morning after you have them in the solution, then your hydrogen peroxide may be too old. Just get a newer bottle and make up some more solution put the seeds in that.

I will post pics of this part in a few days. Letting in some light to check them will not harm anything.

I usually wind up changing the H202 solution out every four days or so, as long as the solution looks pristine it is fine.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:41 PM
Blade of Grass

I made it! Oops class has already started. Pretty pictures!
Can't wait for my seeds to get here! I think I will experiment with some wisteria seeds using this method too.

Last edited by PlantSwapCookie; 01-17-2012 at 07:55 PM..
Old 01-17-2012, 07:42 PM
Flower Garden

Oh thats great to hear!!

It sounds complicated, but once you start doing it you will see how easy it is
Old 01-17-2012, 09:30 PM
Tree

I'm looking forward to when my seeds arrive!
Old 01-17-2012, 10:03 PM
Flower Garden

I have a few stella doro lily seeds and think that I will practice on them while I wait for the real seeds.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:27 PM
Flower Garden

Those sound like great ideas!
Old 01-18-2012, 12:05 AM
Tree

I'm thinking of starting my Morning Glory seeds this way, maybe others. Maybe if they get an earlier start, they'll have flowers earlier.
-->