Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > Flowers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2016, 07:15 PM
Tree

Brugmansias - tips+pics

I know there are people here, more or less experienced, who grow Brugmansias or just starting.
We all have our own way of growing this beauties. I have been addicted to brugs for years and based on my experience I like to share with all of you few tips with pictures 'how to...'
I lost a few over years (and never got a chance to replace) probably to my inexperience but I like to believe just because of unknown and unexplained reason.
ATTENTION: All brugmansia parts are poisonous if swallow, kids and pets are usually curios about everything so watch them closely.

How I take care of my beloved Brugmansia

Fancy ones need little more attention but I take care of all my brugs the same.
All cuttings placed about 1/3 stick in jar/glass of water (remember to add water if evaporates)

I wait for stick(s) to show 'calluses' and roots (you can also call it 'root nubbies')
If I'm not patient enough I make sure 'root nubbies' are thick (pic 3) and about to root, I plant all in dirt (not pot) and mix (planting spot) 50/50 garden soil and light miracle potting soil (if your garden soil is very heavy add little more potting soil in mix) and water right after planting.
After a week or so I feed with regular miracle grow, next week I feed bloom booster, feed regularly once a week following instruction but 1st feeding (both reg & booster) 1/2 dosage.
(For location (zone) with early hot and humid summer, spot with at least few hours afternoon shade is a plus). Water when needed, they like moist but not wet feet so well drained soil is another plus.
If it's to much rain (few days in a row) drilling extra holes in potted brugs will help too.

4. all spring cuttings 2015;

5. small -spring cuttings 2015, bigger ones fall cuttings 2014 rooted and potted for winter and out in dirt in spring 2015;

6. from 2014 spring cutting- that how it is today-will stay potted.

Potted brugs I fertilize once a week too, I alternate, as above, between using reg. miracle grow one week and the next feeding I use bloom booster, occasionally I also use diluted fish emulsion. Some people fertilize potted brugs twice a week but I observed no different in growing. Although all brugs are heavy feeders I decided once a week is enough.

Every once in a while instead I foliage feed with fish emulsion (Home Depot). (Just make sure when you fertilize, especially if you are foliage feeding, that you don't do it when the sun is up and it's hot or you will burn leaves).

Some people use Epsom salt (magnesium sulfate) applied at the rate of 1 Tbsp per gallon of water once a month but it didn't work for me.

I know it's a lot of work planting in dirt, digging and potting for winter storage (at least for 2 years) and feeding regime but it pays off later with thick brunches and huge flowers (pics below).

As soon as my brugs are out and have more green (little ones in dirt too) I spray leaves, both top and bottom, with ORTHO or Bayer 100+/150+ to avoid common brug bugs -spider mites, white flies, mealy bugs-white cotton like grow- and other insects (24 hours no rain to make most of it). At the end of summer or fall just before moving in for winter storage I spray again for BROD mites.
Remember to water when necessary (depend on winter storage and temp in there) to keep plant(s) alive.

Some people use Diatomaceous Earth and say is the best, it kill flies, bed bugs, ants, spiders and other bugs, also somebody discovered it kills crawling insects too. Diatomaceous earth suppose not toxic? for people and animals. I never used it, maybe because I don't like dust. If interested I suggest to research more yourself before using it.

Brugmansias grow well in containers, like to be pot bound but not to the point there is no soil left, love sun, water and food (read above) but don't tolerate cold. Pruning is not necessary but some people say cutting back in fall results in heavier flower production next year. I don't trim my brugs in autumn, unless necessary. I take them inside last possible minute (just before first 40įF at night). I repot (BIG ones) to bigger pot in 3rd fall and/or trim roots and use the same pot. Some people repot in spring but, in my opinion, they're stressed enough after winter storage to add another one disturbing roots.

7. 2015- early spring I only trimmed dry stems, buds showed mid May

8. 2016 - 3-4 years old

9. donít remember how old- itís huge

Hope this little guide-tips will help you grow beautiful and healthy plants also you're welcome to share your own experiences and tips.

HAPPY AND SUCCESSFUL GROWING
Old 04-29-2016, 05:04 AM
Super Moderator

Very good..Thanks for sharing!

"Even if sin did come into the world through a woman....so did the Saviour!"
Old 04-29-2016, 05:34 AM
Super Moderator

TalkingOutstanding Info!

What a great tutorial, Saba!

I am putting the info in your posting into use right NOW, and I know that it's going to help a lot of people over the course of time.

Many thanks to you for taking the time and effort to share the secrets of your success with us here at PlantSwap.

Old 04-30-2016, 05:30 PM
Tree

Thank you Diane and zuzu, I'll be happy if my info can be useful to our PS friends.

I'll try to find and post more pics later, still have little cold after moving all brugs and some tropicals to garage earlier this week before temp dropped below 40 at night and heavy rain, not good combo. Now 44 and still raining.
Old 05-01-2016, 01:46 AM
Tree

Talking

July 2014 - second pic same plants- view from other end

2015-07-08 only 4 weeks later (see above-pics 4 and 5)

3 brugs (1 in each corner) barely survived winter storage, doing better there (no follow up pic), big and healthy potted in fall, will stay potted

more documentary info with pictures: Brugs 2015 my collection: to follow up

mostly blooms: How about 2014 Brugmansia show off

more blooms:

Old 05-03-2016, 07:27 AM
Super Moderator

What an inspiration!!
Your beautiful plants and flowers are certainly a powerful testament to your method and techniques.

Old 05-03-2016, 06:17 PM
Flower Garden

thank you so much for sharing such great info
Old 05-06-2016, 07:42 PM
Tree

Thank you.

-->