Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > Plant and Seed Exchange

View Poll Results: Which system should we implement to keep people honest?
Forum reputation system 21 31.82%
iTrader 30 45.45%
Complaint forum 9 13.64%
None (or new idea posted below) 6 9.09%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2008, 06:31 AM
Vegetable Garden

Quote :
i would hope that if someone wasn't happy with what i traded that they'd tell me before they left me some negative feedback..
this is all well and good, but it happens that one comes across a dishonest person. Since they know they are cheating you, they don't want to communicate, instead you receive threatening PMs. then what?
either you don't give a rating and learned your lesson to never trade with her again, or you give a negative rating and even though you held up your end of the trade you will get a negative rating back.
iTrader is great, but in addition, as mentioned on a separate thread, talking to others about their trade experiences wouldn't hurt.

Gone Tropical's Garden
Old 10-12-2008, 12:13 PM
Flowering Shrub

Originally Posted by gone_tropical View Post:
this is all well and good, but it happens that one comes across a dishonest person. Since they know they are cheating you, they don't want to communicate, instead you receive threatening PMs. then what?
either you don't give a rating and learned your lesson to never trade with her again, or you give a negative rating and even though you held up your end of the trade you will get a negative rating back.
iTrader is great, but in addition, as mentioned on a separate thread, talking to others about their trade experiences wouldn't hurt.
that's true. i guess you could take a digital camera to the post office & ask the person behind the counter to hold up the package to prove that you have sent it & also get a receipt from the post office that you can scan for your records. that definitely would be a pain in the butt to do. lol but you could always turn that info over & have the negative feedback removed on your account..

one thing that might be useful is to ban the usernames, email addresses and/or IP addresses of people who haven't honored their trades. also make it so you have to have a paid email address to sign up for plant swap, rather than a free one, like hotmail, gmail, etc (which would also eliminate a lot of those fake email addresses people use to sign up with, which people who are out to rip you off would likely use). it's kinda harsh, but it's better than having everyone be scared about getting ripped off. cause that's just sad. you folks work so hard to plant & grow stuff & then someone takes advantage of you. not cool.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:41 AM
PlantSwap Site Founder

Originally Posted by onyx View Post:
i would hope that if someone wasn't happy with what i traded that they'd tell me before they left me some negative feedback..
Originally Posted by PlantSwap View Post:
Negative ratings can be updated/edited to positive when shortcomings are addressed (within 30 days of the posting date - trades rectified after this point require mod/admin intervention to fix).
~~~

either you don't give a rating and learned your lesson to never trade with her again,
No.

or you give a negative rating
Yes.

and even though you held up your end of the trade you will get a negative rating back.
Not necessarily. The system does allow for both parties to comment on what happened. The truth usually shines through.

Also, if a member is truly dishonest, they are going to be getting a whole lot more negative comments than the honest folks.

Even honest traders have hiccups sometimes.

Just bear in mind that personality conflicts and social cliques can distort the picture when you are taking guidance in this fashion. iTrader is a better tool to see how a member handles trades with a broad spectrum of members.
Old 06-27-2015, 02:10 PM
Super Moderator

........... because this thread contains a lot of good info about the importance of swappers getting their feedback into the record
(even though it's not fun if you feel that the feedback you have to leave for someone is negative. )

As site moderators, we are happy to try to help if you're having technical difficulties, just reach out to us and we'll do our best - BUT - please understand that we have no authority or ability to actually step in and leave feedback for anyone else's swap - and honestly, it is only fair that the ones who were directly involved should be the ones to keep the record set straight. After all, only those participants have first-hand knowledge of exactly what was agreed to - and they know what went wrong, if that was the case.

We understand that leaving negative feedback isn't fun, and we know that it's tempting to hope that someone else will do the un-fun stuff - but again - we moderators of PlantSwap are are simply volunteers, and we are not authorized to interject ourselves into the swaps arranged between other forum members. We don't choose who you swap with and we don't set your terms, so we are not the right ones to drop the responsibility onto if things go awry.

Also, please know that we mods are not authorized to "vote anyone off the island" based upon the swap feedback that others leave for them (not even if we personally get "burned").

Good or bad, trade feedback is a favor to the entire PlantSwap community, so please DO take the time and effort to submit it and hope that your fellow members will do the same. This is the tool that we can ALL use to be better informed about the next person who we consider swapping with, so that we can see if their reliability is stellar or ... "spotty".

Last edited by zuzu's petals; 06-27-2015 at 03:00 PM.. Reason: typo
Closed Thread

Tags
itrader, trading
-->