Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > Plant and Seed Exchange

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2014, 07:20 PM
Blossom

Native plants and seeds - Midwest

I'm in Ohio, looking for certain native plants. I'm making a rain garden, and I'm about to the planting stage. I carefully poured over plant stats, and made a short list, but now I don't know where to get all of them. I found a few online sites - too expensive, and I found a couple nurseries - a bit of a drive. Hoping to trade or pay for shipping for the following:
Bowman's Root - Gillenia trifoliata
Mountain Mint - Pycnanthemum virginianum
Blue False Indigo - Baptisia australis
Prarie Mallow
Boltonia
Queen of the Prairie aka Meadowsweet
Borage aka Common Shooting Star
Turtlehead - chelone
and maybe some Golden Aster - Chrysopsis villosa

I do not really have any natives to trade, or too much to trade at all right now as I've been trading face to face with people I met on Craigslist with ads I put up there, and I completed a trade on here recently. All I can really offer is common orange daylily! I was hoping to just pay shipping.
Thanks so much, I'm really excited to start putting natives into my landscape!!!
Old 08-15-2014, 05:22 AM
Flower Garden

Using native plants to your area is terrific, everybody, everything benefits. Once you have them established they have a less likely chance of dying out on ya. I use natives mixed it with whatever else I've got. Good luck on finding them, wish I could help but I don't have them.
Philippians 4:13
Old 08-15-2014, 02:11 PM
Blossom

native plants wanted

Tess1893 - thanks anyways!

I forgot that I DO have some things to trade - Christmas cactus cuttings, aloe pups, a few green oxalis starts, and ivy.

I guess I'm open to almost any natives that don't aggressively spread - ones that behave themselves a bit. Some are better than others. If you have seeds or starts, pm me, please! Even coreopsis seeds!
Old 08-18-2014, 07:09 AM
Blossom

flat-headed oat grass, inland sea oats

I'd really love to get some flat headed oat grass, or inland sea oats, or wood oats, or Chasmanthium latifolium . . .

I discovered there are a lot of seed and plant sellers on Etsy.com. Many are cheap or reasonable.

I went on a guided wildflower walk yesterday, and I saw some Tall Bellflower still in bloom . . . I've added that to my list! :-) And I saw some Fleabane, which I want, and I saw some Heal All, which I don't want! I really only want natives that don't spread aggressively for my rain garden. Except, I do want lemon mint (not lemon balm) for the basin . . . I think I could keep it in check if it's in there. Maybe.

Does anyone else have a native garden, or a rain garden? Post pics!
Old 08-19-2014, 09:43 PM
Tree

I have some lemon mint seeds for you QueenGardener, just PM me if you're interested.
Old 08-20-2014, 10:54 AM
Blossom

update

Still looking for:

Queen of the Prairie aka MeadowsweetBowman's Root - Gillenia trifoliata
Blue False Indigo - Baptisia australis
Prairie Mallow - Sidalcea malviflora
Turtlehead - chelone
Inland Sea Oats -Chasmanthium latifolium
Wood Hyacinth
Tall Bell Flower - Campanulastrum americanum

I bought some cheap seeds ($1/large packet) for lemon mint and a couple other things the other night because I couldn't stand it any longer!!! I can't believe it! Oh well . . . Maybe I can add to my list of things to share and barter with, as I don't think I really need 2,800+ seeds of lemon mint!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've read that it spreads rapidly, but I'm really really hoping I can contain it in the rain garden pit. We'll see. I've been adding a bunch of aggressively spreading plants to my garden, crossing my fingers I don't regret it. I guess aggressively spreading plants are better than weeds . . . right?
Old 08-20-2014, 11:26 AM
Blade of Grass

I have a few borage seeds I'd be interested in trading if you have seeds from your Orange Ditch Lily or what kind of aloe is it that you have?
Old 08-20-2014, 07:44 PM
Acorn

Smile

I'm looking for Hostas, hens &chicks,daylilies, I don't have any plants to trade as I'm just getting started, If you have any to share.I'm 65plantlover. Thank You very much.
Old 08-21-2014, 06:48 AM
Blossom

Welcome!

Hiya and welcome!!! I have some hostas and day lilies, though its too dry to dig up and send any right now. I have tall red day lilies that need new homes, and I have a nice variety of hosta that has white edges, thicker leaves that are smooth and shiny, with purple flowers. I found a seller on Etsy who is selling a mix of varieties of hens and chicks seeds for a buck, and they aren't the only ones. I did just place an order with them because they were so reasonable on prices, quantities, and shipping. The only problem with buying perennial seeds is that you have to be patient! :-) I really really want some "pink poodle" coneflower that I just saw on Etsy from another seller!!! I searched for pics online, and I was just drooling . . . :-) But I AM trying to put more natives into my yard as well, and my rain garden is going to be mostly natives. There will be a few tall bearded iris in the relatively drier back area, and hydrangea, and I'd LOVE to put a siberian dogwood in the mid-section, and a pussy willow, too. I'm getting some pussy willow from a family member who has a cutting in a vase, hopefully growing roots! I guess pussy willows are from europe, but they like moisture, and I love them, so its in. The point of having the natives is mostly for the deeper root structures which help drain water faster and native plants have myriad benefits to wildlife and ecology.

Does anyone have awesome coneflower varieties - they come is so many colors and shapes now, and I just LOVE the fluffy "Pink Delights" and "Pink Poodle" and the green ones and . . . and . . . you get the picture! I'm flower crazy!!! I'm really trying very hard to restrain the urge of "I WANT IT ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
-->