Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > Plant and Seed Exchange

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2013, 12:46 PM
Blossom

I successfully shipped a bundle of cuttings from various philodendrons, pothos, wandering jew, spider plants and such all rooted and wound into a circle with some wet paper towels and sealed in a plastic bag inside one of those little flat rate shipping boxes.... they arrived in perfect health. Hardier plants like pothos and philodendrons, wandering jew and peace lillies should not rot when exposed to constant moisture for even up to a week. (I know this because I have a fish tank and will sometimes root cuttings in it, occasionally they slip and fall all the way under the water and are no worse for wear even after days of being completely submerged--- they of course cannot live completely under water, but a week of it doesn't seem to do much (if any) harm.).
Old 06-21-2013, 04:39 PM
Acorn

Shipping live plants

Depending on the root size and height...I usually use shipping tubes. You can make them shorter for smaller seedlings...they are very sturdy so nothing squishes...there is usually room for some root dirt wrapped in wet paper towels ...it even holds many size bulbs safely! I use them a lot and so far nothing has been damaged and they have all arrived doing very well! I got the idea from my son who was shipping some posters!
Old 08-24-2013, 07:07 PM
Forest

Smile

You can also use toilet paper tubes or wax paper rollers, or paper towel rollers. Skys the limit.
Old 08-24-2013, 07:47 PM
Blossom

Thank you all that put info. on how to ship plants the right way. I am new here and didn't know how to send plants. I haven't sent anything but seeds for Bingo but it's nice to know how to send something if I need to.

Will you be putting all the info somewhere so it is perment in case any of us need or want to go back & review? Or should we copy it down & put it somewhere our self? Thank you again everyone did a great job explaining & also made it easy to understand

Last edited by zuzu's petals; 08-25-2013 at 07:12 AM.. Reason: merged 2 posts into 1
Old 08-24-2013, 09:00 PM
Bush

When you see the word 'Sticky' like on this thread, it means the info will always be there for you to refer back.
Old 10-12-2013, 05:21 AM
Sprout

Some excellent information there, has anyone done a study on which shipping company is cheapest, expensive, most reliable, most unreliable?
Old 10-12-2013, 06:33 AM
Bush

Most people on this site use United States Post Office - USPS Priority 2-3 flat rate boxes. The plus is they come with a tracking number and insurance so both traders will know where the box is at all times and will be reimbursed if the box gets lost in the mail.

Personally, I find UPS - United Parcel Service - to be unreliable when the driver comes to the wrong address, either refuses to leave a package when the paperwork does NOT require a signature and sometimes leave the package with a neighbor (without my knowledge or permission). UPS is on such a tight schedule that their drivers don't always use good judgement (in my opinion and experience).

It's best is both traders discuss and agree beforehand which shipper will be used.
Old 10-12-2013, 07:44 AM
Sprout

How do you send plants by mail safely?

That's great feedback Carmelita, thank you!

Note to self do not use UPS!
Closed Thread

Tags
trading
-->