Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > Plant and Seed Exchange

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2009, 12:07 PM
Acorn

Good information

Heh! Thanks for all the input here. I think this will likely be useful to a number of people.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:33 AM
Sprout

What is your method for iris and daylily ? Ship them dry?
Kat
Old 04-14-2009, 09:39 AM
BUBBA

Send a message via Yahoo to angmf2233

Winkplants

Most times we wrap roots with a damp paper towel and then put that part into a plastic baggie and secure. Then wrap the whole plant with newspaper or such for protection. Put in a box with bubble wrap or more paper to keep it secure and ship. And most ship on a Mon, tues. This way when the weather gets warm or even I suppose when its too cold your pkg won't set at PO to long, like over a weekend! The experts here can give ya more advice, I mainly ship seeds.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:46 AM
Sprout

I buy from the lily auction and most of the time they are dry, but once in awhile some are wrapped in a damp papertowl and in plastic so I was wondering.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:21 AM
Blade of Grass

thanks this is great info! Everyone should read this! ;=)
Old 04-14-2009, 10:30 AM
Super Moderator

Talking

Originally Posted by tiggyann View Post:
thanks this is great info! Everyone should read this! ;=)
You're so right, it's smart to learn from the experience of others.
And there's a lot of good info in the "sticky" threads at the top of the Plant and Seed Exchange forum:
CLICK HERE
it really doesn't take long to read through them.

Last edited by zuzu's petals; 07-19-2009 at 11:20 AM.. Reason: update for accuracy
Old 10-20-2009, 02:34 PM
Acorn

you're ideas sound great. thanks for the hints on planting pots for shipping. Will try these ideas on my future shippings.
Old 10-20-2009, 02:54 PM
Flower Garden

I also recommend that you read the instructions on packing hosta for shipment--it is usable for shipping any live plants.
http://www.hostalibrary.org/misc/ship/index.html
Old 09-01-2010, 11:35 AM
Acorn

Hi everyone,

I have read this thread and have found it very useful. I am planning on shipping an Angel Wing Begonia to the Netherlands from the US. I am going to send a piece of my plant and wrap it as instructed on this thread. I am sending to a friend as a gift with some other items. I am trying to figure out if I need some sort of permit to do this? Or can I simply put it in the box and ship with no problem.

Any thoughts?
Old 09-01-2010, 12:02 PM
Vegetable Garden

chloevdc, I suggest you do a search online on import laws of the Netherlands if you want to do it correctly.

or.... just pack it up and send along some other stuff you can declare on the customs slip (sending the plant along under the radar so to say).

Gone Tropical's Garden
Old 09-08-2011, 03:14 PM
BrianLee

Thanks for all the information about sending plants.

I would like to add here some key points to consider at the receiving side.

1. When you receive a box of plants you should open it at once. Not that you won't!! You will be eager to see the contents. The plants will be in immediate need of air and light. Be careful that the light is not too strong for a few days. Avoid putting them in sunshine. Remember that the plants are succulent, have evolved to resist evaporation from leaves or bodies and will not wilt like ordinary plants. Light and air are more urgent immediate considerations than water.

2. Put the plants in a warm, bright place for a day or two and you can, if you wish, pot them up at once in slightly moist potting compost A light spraying now and then may help if the weather is hot and dry but avoid this in cold or damp weather. Let indications of fresh growth guide when to begin normal watering as well as weather conditions and the size and type of plant. Remember that cuttings without roots will not take water up without roots.

3. For cacti cuttings without roots, larger cacti have more reserves of their own to draw on and will not likely make roots as soon as young, small ones. It is wise to plant these rootless larger plants in extremely porous gritty compost which will dry out within a few hours of watering. Or you can put a little water in the pot saucer now and again which will be taken up into the soil in the lower half of the pot so that when roots form they go down looking for that moisture. In the meantime they are not sitting in soaking wet soil and tending to rot.

4. For plants with roots, just pot up in moist soil and watch for signs of life before you start a regular watering program.

5. Move the plants or cuttings gradually into the light they need, some eventually into full sunshine. If you don't know if the plants need full sunshine, keep them in a very bright place out of full sunshine until you find out what light each plant needs.

I hope it helps.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:00 PM
Sprout

Winkgreat info!

good to know. I am new and was wondering about the process, you guys were very helpful!
Old 05-24-2012, 10:40 PM
Blade of Grass

shipping plants

Thx, TXbeyer for your info! Very helpful! A hello from Big D to ya!
Weeze,
That is the way I was going to ship!
Remy,
I like the pics & diff way to use newspaper!
Someone else suggested toilet paper & paper towel roll. I like that too!
Thx all!
Kay
Old 09-24-2012, 06:23 PM
Flower

Excellent tips! I had just posted a new thread in search of this info, very glad I found this one
Old 02-01-2013, 10:03 PM
Acorn

Thanks for the info:-) im brand new here and learning the ropes.
Closed Thread

Tags
trading
-->