Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > Plant and Seed Exchange

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2008, 10:23 PM
PlantSwap Site Founder

ExclamationDo NOT use this site to trade plants which are not LEGAL to trade

If a plant is illegal to own/grow within the USA, don't offer it up for trade here. Thanks.
Old 10-06-2008, 10:42 PM
Bush

Do you happen to have a list of illegal plants to share? I know I'm not always aware of them. Thank you!

my blog: http://nataliesartandsoap.blogspot.com/

Do you know about PS's social groups??
http://www.plantswap.net/forum/groups/
Old 10-06-2008, 10:51 PM
PlantSwap Site Founder

If it (or part of it) can be used for recreational drug use, chances are good that it shouldn't be traded here.
Old 10-07-2008, 12:29 AM
Esteemed Nut

This is going to be incredibly hard to enforce. Maybe you should just stick to what is actually illegal. I doubt any of us want to be this police man. I mean, the ability to alter our minds through the use of plant material is everywhere. And the information is only a click away and there are kids out there partaking of all sorts of odd plants, not just the normal ones. If you start down this road, maybe you should look, first, at what is a mind altering plant. You will find that this group actively trades them, everyday, unknowingly or not. I grow them for the flowers and the herbs. Some of our kitchen herbs are hallucinogenic or sedatives. Many of our favorite flowers were first grown in our gardens as pain relievers and medicines. Here is a list of just some of hallucinagenics and seditatives. I love plants and their histories of uses. I am not a user just because I know about them. Poppies, California poppies, prickley poppies,woodrose, nutmeg, Mexican tarragon, Coleus, River Reed ( arondo Donax),Lion's Tail,mimosa, passion flower, morning glory, sleepygrass, sweetfag, fennel, silvervine, fumewort, Magnolia, 4 o'clocks, Texas Mountain laurel, Bundle Flower, Foxglove, Blue Lotus, artemisia,valerian, Mormon tea,mandrake, and I am only getting started. . Oh, I do not drink or alter my mind with substances, but I just can't see the sense in demonizing god's creations.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:13 AM
PlantSwap Site Founder

If I learn that a plant is illegal to own in the USA, it will not be allowed to offer it here. If you disagree with that policy, I suggest you lobby whatever state or federal politicians are responsible to remove the legal prohibition.

I'm not going to open this forum or myself to legal liabilities needlessly.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:39 AM
Bush

That makes sense...illegal plants should not be traded anyway .... I'll have to look into them, and it may be different between states too....so it is probably a good thing for us to all look up if we offer a plant that we know may carry risks --- ie: dats...some places are trying to ban them, but I don't know where they are doing it...i know they're ok here.
I don't blame you plantswap...this is a topic to be careful on, and we all need to be responsible. Happy, safe gardening...

Old 10-07-2008, 09:15 AM
Esteemed Nut

I started out my thought with sticking to what is "actually illegal", but I questioned the wisdom of banning everything that was possibly "recreational", as that was a hugely long list of popular plants. I agree about the legal liabilities. I like to keep my life simple.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:24 AM
BUBBA

Send a message via Yahoo to angmf2233

plants and seeds?

Does this mean I cannot ship morning glory seeds cause some jerk likes to get high on them? To late already shipped. I hear they are smokin salvia? Whats next? I am not a drug user so I will send what I think is a flower, weather someone injest it or smokes it, that not my purpose for mailing! It would not come back on plantswap, but my return addy!
Old 10-07-2008, 09:44 AM
Flowering Shrub

Originally Posted by angmf2233 View Post:
Does this mean I cannot ship morning glory seeds cause some jerk likes to get high on them? To late already shipped. I hear they are smokin salvia? Whats next? I am not a drug user so I will send what I think is a flower, weather someone injest it or smokes it, that not my purpose for mailing! It would not come back on plantswap, but my return addy!
people drink/eat/smoke/snort datura, brugmansia, too.

but i understand & agree with the no illegal anything policy.. a lot of (negative) attention would be drawn to this site if people were trading marijuana, psychoactive mushrooms, etc... wouldn't be a good thing for anyone & would get this site booted off the internet, or watched by the government to see who's trading that kind of stuff & etc. :/ bad deal all around.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:02 AM
Super Moderator

Smile

Originally Posted by angmf2233 View Post:
Not to worry Ang, no one here is telling you that you can't send whatever you want to your friends
... as you noted, the responsibility for your actions would fall to you.

All that the administrator is saying:
Originally Posted by PlantSwap View Post:
If I learn that a plant is illegal to own in the USA, it will not be allowed to offer it here.
... is that Plant Swap does have rules about what may be posted here, in these forums,
and outlawed plants may not be offered for trade here.

Like you, I also grow and swap many plants that have a tradition of
medical and/or recreational use and/or misuse,
as of this time, to the best of my knowledge, none of them are illegal.

If it should turn out to be otherwise, the administrator will let us know,
and I will remove those plants from my Plant Swap trade lists and albums ...

I may decide to continue to grow them, and I may even continue to share them with friends,
but I would certainly NOT do so under the auspices of this forum.

Last edited by zuzu's petals; 10-07-2008 at 10:04 AM..
Old 10-07-2008, 10:33 AM
Esteemed Nut

I Have been googling away looking for a list of illegal narcotic plants that we are not allowed to grow or trade, and I can not find a list of them. You would think it was simple. After all ignorance of the law is not a legal excuse. There is the added complexity of illegal product vs illegal plants. IE is it illegal to grow opium poppies or just illegal to collect the sap and cook it. I guess that is a varient on the Guns are harmless, it is just the criminals that use them argument. What I really need to do is get my obsessive mind wrapped around something else, like working. I am supposedly starting a new job today and that means I need to clean my shop and set up .... YUCK. Sorry I started this, I am a hair splitter at times about controversial subjects and I must admit to enjoying discussion for just the love of discussion and the humour. But as Beautifulbay asked originally, is there a list. Judging from news stories, all sorts of people are being arrested for plant substances I had no knowledge of before I started googling this morning. Laws change and maybe our beloved gorgeous Datura is on it and we are all on our way to gaol. It is a bummer when one is held accountable for things one is ignorant of.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:45 AM
Bush

thank you zuzu for the clarity

If anyone does find some kind of list that shows the legalities of plants from state to state, it would certainly be worth sharing here! Controversial as it is, and difficult to tell sometimes, let's just do our best to be responsible gardeners and obide by the rules of a forum set up for us to use so freely.

Thanks plant swap.

Old 10-07-2008, 11:03 AM
Esteemed Nut

Yes, Thankyou Zuzu for the clarity. AHHH, "clarity",....That is something that I am not good at, Confusion and muddying the waters, now That I can do that till the cows come home.-Mara
Old 10-07-2008, 11:41 AM
Tree

I googled and havnt founsd a site yet for Iowa..LOL Have to keeep looking!!!
Old 10-07-2008, 12:43 PM
Esteemed Nut

I can find lots of illegal invassive plants that one is not supposed to have or trade.
-->