Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > Plant and Seed Exchange

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2011, 12:14 PM
Sprout

Angry[Both Wanted/Offering] Defining 'For Postage' trades

What happens when you send a trade, you only sent 4 to 6 seeds cause thats all you had for each variety, sent a good amount of different variets and got NOTHING in return except a good yelling at saying it was not enough seed per variety, YET, this lovely "lady" kept all seeds, no postage sent and blew me off.
This happened to me in this group. She had the benefit of those 4 or 6 seed and it cost her nothing. I really hope they did not germinate for her. I put her on my BLOCK list, I could not even stand to look at her name.
She actually stole from me.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:57 PM
Bush

Leave a neg itrade explaining the situation and if they leave you a negative ask a mod about it it could be a "retaliatory negative" which is NOT allowed

Sadly the block list only stops there messages from being visible to you (would be nice if it made you think they left the place) it does sound like someone I have had 3 trades with one was a trade greedy about seeds for something I hadn't even had a chance to grow another was a GIFT which granted I didnt seal the seeds in a ziploc still the outher person that got that way (my first time sending plants with seeds) said they would let the seeds dry out this person? Not a thank you nothing but calling the seeds crap and throwing them out the 3rd was a Sase offer they wanted a bubble then sent ONLY postage when I confronted them about it they overreacted horribly so much that it really bugged me so I left a negative and eventually my explanation and there overreaction ended up on BOTH of our itrades they even seemed PROUD that they couldnt send a Sase or do anything BUT overreact to ONE comment so that is one person I will NEVER trade with again luckily I used there stamps to mail something else out for a real trade and I have records of there name and address (and they are on my ignore list on here)
Old 07-26-2011, 12:57 PM
Esteemed Nut

next time communicate that these are all the seed that you have of those varieties and if she is still interested. It is all about communication before the fact. I trade some old seeds, but they are arid land seeds and they will last more than a few years normally, BUT I tell people that, and ask if they are still interested.

I am sorry that this happened. I personally think that she should have cut you a break, especially since you are a new comer and might not know about the unspoken minimum. It does sound that she over reacted and at least owes you seed for what you sent. Maybe less than what was expected or agreed on. For example, she could have mirrored your actions and She could have sent you 4 - 6 seeds per variety of what was agreed on or only sent the seeds that you sent a good quantity of.

Maybe you should also mark this up as a learning experience and then go into the next trade using what you have learned about procedure. I am always aware that expectations are future resentments when it comes to trading. Be sure to look at what you did wrong as well as her rude reaction from all perspectives, and try not to repeat it. To tell you the truth, I would be irritated if I got 4-6 seeds and nothing was said about it upfront. I don't know if I would have reacted as she did, but you would have heard about my displeasure. I have heard somewhere that 25 normal sized seeds is a norm. But that can change due to size, rarity, difficulty in gathering the seed. I always send more than I think people will need to make a good display. If I do not have enough seed to do this , I do not offer them in trade.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:15 PM
Esteemed Nut

GT, I have been there for awhile. My trading is WAY down. Hell in this drought, so is my gardening. I am saving up for my local fall trade in San Antonio. Maybe I will have some water do do some gardening then.

I went over my check book and was amazed how many post office trips and how high the postage was. I have had to take a good look at my reasons for trading and if it was a compulsion or if I was just reacting to request and if I was getting anything that had lasting value to me. It sounds selfish, but often I would find myself agreeing on something that I really did not want because they that was what they had and I wanted to be a nice person. I would kill that plant because it would not fit into my tough conditions. I look over at what is still alive in my garden and have taken inventory on what I have traded and what is alive and the results are very interesting. True this drought is LETHAL, even the Natives are dying.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:19 PM
Sprout

[Both Wanted/Offering] Defining 'For Postage' trades

Thank you to all the comments and the advice. I guess I was so overcome by the ladies attitude I did nothing, but the thing that got me was the way the lady will be the first one to "thank God" for this and that and yet, she felt she was in the right for how she stiffed me.
I even asked her, please send the seeds back, I will repay HER postage, she just told me it was her way of 'teaching me a lesson' and never heard from her again.
This happened some time ago, but it really rubs me kind of raw after all this time.
I am sorry, I just needed to vent. I think if I would have contacted the mods they wouold have taken care of the matter but I was just too surprised over her actions.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:33 PM
Bush

I have contacted the mods a few times over various things and I find them to be extremely helpful and kind and I atleast would like to think they are a friend --of anything seems odd/off then I would think you should ask I asked before I confronted the person even shared there reply with the mod and the mod even thought they had overreacted

I still would like to think a negative on there record is due that people should be alerted of the bad traders so they know who to avoid
Old 03-09-2012, 05:57 AM
Sprout

For Postage items I either do flat rate plus delivery conf at post office, can't see the sense in buying a scale and thus adding more cost on and this way it's exact. But I like to ship for free when I can
Closed Thread
-->