Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > Plant and Seed Exchange

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2011, 08:34 AM
Esteemed Nut

Guys, if one wants to report a entry to the moderators, it is the white triangle edged in red on the top right far corner in the green band. I reported one last week where someone even used the word plants for sale. It was a no brainer. She changed the wording but I still reported her and when she asked why , I politely told her that we liked to keep our sight non commercial. It took a bit for the moderators to get to it but they removed it.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:27 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by BarefootGardener View Post:
More recently, I responded to another member's very open request for an exact amount of postage for a 'grab bag'. I was puzzled by the amount requested since it did not correspond to any USPS rate that I know of. But I sent it anyway--while observing that no one complained about the request for money made by the PS member. I wasn't particularly bothered until I got 4 rather mottly plants poorly packed into a Cheerio box that had been pretty badly multilated en route. But not so badly mutilated to keep me from seeing that the exact postage charged by USPS was something less that $7.00. Now that is what I call selling plants.
Any member of PS who sends another member a specifically requested amount of postage cash, which they subsequently find to be excessive, has every right to expect to have the excess amount returned/refunded to them by the person who accepted that money. Period.
If that excess amount is not returned, then yes, the rule that applies to selling may have been violated and the situation should be reported to the mod team (along with the proofs of the case) so that investigation and action (if justified) can be pursued.

Since this site has no trade mediators, each of you must take on the responsibility of guarding your own self-interest when you decide to make trade arrangements with other members. If the amount that another member was asking for shipping raised a red flag for me, then I would absolutely ask a few pointed questions (such as "if the shipping ends up costing less than I'm sending, what method will you use to reimburse me?" ), if I was not comfortable with their reply, I would not trade with them. If they told me outright that they planned NOT to return excess postage, I would forward their PM to the moderators and report them.
Originally Posted by fearadyn :
I just don't understand why this post was allowed to stand and continue. Especially as we have so many new members, who may also be new to trading.

It just seems to me that by allowing it to stand, or not having a moderator comment directly on the thread, or question this member on the thread, that new members would assume that this type of selling is indeed allowed.
Quote :
IT DOES LET NEWBIES KNOW , THIS ISNT ALL FUN AN GAMES. MOST DONT KNOW THE RULES.
Our forum rules are posted for all to read and know - the first PM that any member receives gives them a link to those rules so that they can readily find and read them.

Originally Posted by fearadyn :
I just don't understand why this post was allowed to stand and continue.
With no reports to the contrary, as far as the moderators could tell, the amount requested was being used to cover shipping and any excess was being returned.
Every one of us who moderate this site are un-paid volunteers who do our very best to be pro-active and keep the site running as smoothly as we are able for the membership, but, like all of you, we have limited time to spend and simply cannot read and followup on everything that is posted. We are not mentalists and do not know if members have a complaint that requires our assistance unless they will, please, take the time to report it.

Originally Posted by marasri View Post:
Guys, if one wants to report a entry to the moderators, it is the white triangle edged in red on the top right far corner in the green band. I reported one last week where someone even used the word plants for sale. It was a no brainer. She changed the wording but I still reported her and when she asked why , I politely told her that we liked to keep our sight non commercial. It took a bit for the moderators to get to it but they removed it.

Last edited by zuzu's petals; 07-08-2011 at 02:27 PM..
Old 07-08-2011, 09:55 AM
Esteemed Nut

I am not upset by a bit over the postage listed on the corner because packing DOES cost.So does the gas to get to the post office (for me 30 miles round trip, That also effects the amount of time it takes me to do a trade).Should SASE include the price of the bubble wrap envelope? I don't but I often think about that. I try to recycle my bubble wrap envelopes, but sometimes I buy a package of them. I figure that I have gotten new envelopes from people in the past that they have paid for and this evens out in the long run, just maybe not with the person I am dealing with right then.I run a business and I have to estimate projects all the time and the cost of the traDE is more than what appears on the tag. We have all spent hours packing up multiple trades and I am amazed by the paper towels, brown paper, tape, etc. I realize that I do this because of love of hobby, compulsion and a relationship building with some of you. So be aware of your instant judgements and for gods sake try to see things from both sides of the street first before one jumps to conclusions..
Old 07-08-2011, 10:14 AM
Bush

I have to agree with Marasri, and once again we all have to use our best judgement. Packaging material, time, gas, all plays a part in our trades. I will even go so far as to say many folks are quite willing to pay a few extra dollars beyond the shipping cost when they are getting more than one plant or an especially treasured plant. I have even recieved over the initial cost of shipping and been told by fellow swappers to keep the extra funds. If you have an unsatisfactory trade, you should probably review the whole arrangement and see if you should have been more specific about the details and if you were not then you have to chalk it up to a lesson learned and get more details before another swap before you trade with that person or just don't trade with that person again. I also have to say, that I've even given a positive Itrader even when I was not happy with the trade or atleast what I recieved but I realized that I had not been more specific in asking questions and details about what I would be recieving and I have no one to blame but myself. I hope what I wrote makes sense to all of you.

Most of the members here like me are wanting to share their treasures and knowledge and questions. But every crowd has a few bad apples, it's a part of life.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:37 AM
Esteemed Nut

The good news is look how many positive ratings there are. I have often emailed out fotos of the actual plants IF I have an email address to work with.
Old 07-08-2011, 01:37 PM
Super Moderator

Mara and Deeka, you both make some good points - but the point is, that BOTH parties should take the time and effort to discuss all of the details that they can think of - and BOTH parties should agree to the terms - BEFORE sending off property (be it plants or cash).

Any person who lists something in our forum "for postage" should definitely not take it upon themselves to assume that "charging" a swap partner extra fees above and beyond the actual postage cost is going to be agreeable.
That is a "detail" that should be clearly addressed and specifically agreed upon in pre-swap discussions.

Those of us who've done much swapping come to realize that not every disappointment can be avoided - but - poor communication is a sure way to have a lot more bad experiences than is necessary.

Originally Posted by skayc1 :
What happens when we send postage and get nothing in return?
Originally Posted by marasri :
Skacl1, Leave a rating on Itrader...
Mara is absolutely right, under those circumstances, one should file a negative iTrader rating, with a clear explanation of the details of the situation.
Those negative ratings will remain in the rating records. The record of any member who habitually disappoints other swappers should serve as a point of consideration to others who may be considering entering into trade arrangements with them.

It is natural at times to get very excited about entering into a swap - but wisdom dictates that we take time to think things through. At the very least, you will be giving a mailing address to someone who may be a complete stranger to you.
iTrader is your only tool for publicly communicating satisfaction or dissapointment with a trade to the forum membership.
Neither the administrators nor the moderators of this site has any responsibility for the outcome of the arrangements which you make - we can't fix it for you, so please use your head and look before you leap.

Originally Posted by deeka :
If you have an unsatisfactory trade, you should probably review the whole arrangement and see if you should have been more specific about the details and if you were not then you have to chalk it up to a lesson learned and get more details before another swap before you trade with that person or just don't trade with that person again. I also have to say, that I've even given a positive Itrader even when I was not happy with the trade or atleast what I recieved but I realized that I had not been more specific in asking questions and details about what I would be recieving and I have no one to blame but myself.
I hope what I wrote makes sense to all of you.
Deeka, what you said is crystal clear to me, and admirable IMO.
I try to take the same approach myself, to find what part I may have played especially if an unsatisfactory swap resulted from a communications break down.
That said, I will give a neutral or even a negative iTrader rating when it is due.

Old 07-08-2011, 02:10 PM
Esteemed Nut

I never charge more than the postage but I don't get pissed when things are a bit higher on the return as long as it is within a dollar. So guys. Don't worry I am not going to charge you for a gallon of gas. I was just trying to say that things do cost more than the postage and when a person does it for postage, they are giving away that part so cut people a break but hold their feet to the fire. LOL.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:52 PM
Flower Garden

I want to clarify that I didn't have a problem with sending $10 for postage to send me a 'grabbag' that was to include 3 or 4 specific plants. I did not expect to only receive the 4 small cuttings, based on the original posting. But I was even okay with that but the crushed up Cheerio box with the $6 postage was a bit much. The plants would have fared much better in a small USPS flat rate box. Our mail delivery person will provide us with those boxes even if we can't get to the post office. And those boxes don't easily crush.

Anyway, I should have launched a complaint about this situation, but I have had my own problems living up to my obligations due to unavoidable circumstances. But besides that there were so many interesting things about this episode--even discounting the Cheerio box.

Thanks all.
Old 07-09-2011, 01:06 AM
Critter Rescue Angel

why anyone would use a cheerios box to send plants is beyond me..especially some one well aware of how to package plants for shipping.
Old 07-09-2011, 05:16 AM
Vegetable Garden

To all,
I am happy to see a lively discussion on this thread, thank you all for participating.
This thread is a sticky and will stay at the top of the exchange forum threads so it can be found easily.

Should a trade for postage come up between you, a seasoned Plantswap trader, and a new member, go ahead and point out this thread for them to read through.

Since we are now at the point of cereal boxes and grab bags, I want to point out, this thread is not for finger pointing, so please, let's leave it at that.

Gone Tropical's Garden
Old 07-09-2011, 11:24 AM
Flower Garden

I've read what everyone has said so here is my take on it. First of all, packing tape cost money. Driving to the post office and back cost money. My color laser plant info cards cost money not only in toner but paper as well along with the coin envelopes and large labels plus small plastic bags for small seeds that go in/on the seed envelopes. Plastic bags and paper towel cost money.

I do not think it unreasonable to add a dollar or so plus the cost of postage to cover the cost of "handling".

X
Old 07-09-2011, 12:11 PM
Esteemed Nut

X,..Mention it to the one who is trading with you so a missunderstanding does not rise. Me I often round up to the dollar because I am always forgetting the pennies and I have lost my receipt and the package is gone (dingbat is my middle name). Sometimes I tell the people to look on the package when it comes in and get the I often feel that the packing and stuff will be returned to me when I get a plant for postage from another trader. What goes around comes around. Color lazar plant info cards are sweet but un necessary. Don't get me wrong. I am not putting it down. Many of us do extra things for our traders. That goes under the heading of "done out of the graciousness of ones heart". I get plant hangers and bonus plants. I often do the same, only if the plant is the same sort of thing as requested. I have gotten water hungry cool loving plants that shrivel when hit by the 104 wind blowing in my porch door.
Old 07-09-2011, 12:47 PM
Flower Garden

As far as I'm concerned, "for postage" means no cost to the sender.
Old 07-09-2011, 01:01 PM
Vegetable Garden

If you insist on having the ink of your pen reimbursed..... As long as you disclose this extra cost UPFRONT (before the trade!) to your trading partner, and ONLY if the trading partner is ok with it, should that trade proceed!

Gone Tropical's Garden
Old 07-09-2011, 01:07 PM
Flower Garden

Ok .. skip the ink/toner .. still, packing tape cost money, going to and from the post office cost money .. plastic bags and such for seeds cost money, bubble envelopes cost money, etc. etc ... if I did maybe one or two for postage a month .. no problem .. but I average about 10 - 15 for postage a month. It adds up.
-->