Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > Plant and Seed Exchange

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2008, 09:49 AM
Tree

QuestionAbout "For Postage" Offers

If I wanted to offer a plant for postage, should I state the amount of postage in the post itself, or wait until somebody PM's me to disclose the postage amount?
I ask, because if the postage amount was in the post, that would eliminate the whole "back and forth" of asking "Hi, how much for postage"
Old 09-20-2008, 09:58 AM
PlantSwap Site Founder

Yes, you can include the postage in the post, but you should also explain how you are packaging the plant and what mail or courier service you are using to ship so people have a basis for determining if the postage is reasonable.

I don't want this 'trade for postage' to be used as a means of selling plants for profit here.
Old 07-07-2011, 04:16 PM
Vegetable Garden

ExclamationDefining 'For Postage' trades

The Moderator Team wants to point out, there is a zero-tolerance policy on selling (even if the excuse is that it happened by accident), and requesting more postage than the actual shipping cost is considered selling

For postage simply means the plants are given for FREE, but the sending trader does not wish to pay for shipping.

It is expected from the receiving trader to send postage before or after the trade, depending on the trade agreement between trade partners.

If postage is requested before the trade, the sending trader is required to estimate the cost as closely as possible and must return overcharged funds in a timely manner.

Means of payment must be agreed upon before the trade (i.e. paypal, check, money order, stamps)

Some words of advice:
1) Spend the extra few cents for a delivery confirmation for both trades, the package AND the envelope containing payment.

2) The moderator team are not trade mediators. You are on your own with regards to trading with anyone on this site.

3) Do report violations when postage overcharging happens, but WITH PROOF! (save box and receipts)

Infraction points will be given at first offense!

Gone Tropical's Garden
Old 07-07-2011, 04:54 PM
Critter Rescue Angel

Great post GT, thank you so much for that. I actaully had some one PM me asking how I work out the cost of postage and I explained it to them even though they were not trading with me.

I figure it out very simply, I use flat rate priority mail boxes and simply ask for the postage to be in the form of STAMPS to place n the box..that way there is no way that I can overcharge anyone. ALL their stamps go right on the box Just the simple way I choose to do it.
Old 07-07-2011, 05:01 PM
Tree

Perhaps folks who do a significant amount of shipping should invest in a little scale used to weigh packages (they are not very much - I think you can get one for under $20). Anyway, then they can go online a get a postal estimate for the package. My son just used this to mail something to someone and it was quite accurate.
Old 07-07-2011, 05:17 PM
Forest

Exclamation

I agree Heartly with all the above.
Old 07-07-2011, 10:30 PM
Flower Garden

Thank you Zuzu for your post. It couldn't come at a more opportune time for me. As I'm sure you will recall some time back I asked for postage only to send some plants and made the 'mistake' of quoting how much the postage would be for a small fixed-rate priority box. All (#&(&$Q broke loose from a couple of members and they accused me of selling plants. I must say I was rather insulted and not a little hurt by the incident.

More recently, I responded to another member's very open request for an exact amount of postage for a 'grab bag'. I was puzzled by the amount requested since it did not correspond to any USPS rate that I know of. But I sent it anyway--while observing that no one complained about the request for money made by the PS member. I wasn't particularly bothered until I got 4 rather mottly plants poorly packed into a Cheerio box that had been pretty badly multilated en route. But not so badly mutilated to keep me from seeing that the exact postage charged by USPS was something less that $7.00. Now that is what I call selling plants.

But to clarify, what I am most disappointed in is that the PSers who jumped my case for citing the amount of postage to send for a specific package were mute. So where does that leave us? Is is okay for some people to sell plants and for other to even remotely appear to be? Probably not, but I'm not sure how it can be monitored unless we are all consistent in our treatment of such matter.

Last edited by BarefootGardener; 07-07-2011 at 10:50 PM..
Old 07-07-2011, 11:49 PM
Flower Garden

I am also very interested in this question. And I am happy we are able to talk openly about this very issue.

This is a quote from a posting and offering in question~

"Postage cost includes delivery confirmation, and they will be shipped with some dirt.
1-5 plants will be $10
5-10 will be $15
10-up will be $20"

To me this is clearly selling, there is no way one small plant would cost 10$ to ship. And while some people may consider '10-up' for 20$ to be a 'good deal' it is still selling.

And the posting Barefoot is talking about is from the same trader with the offering reading almost exactly the same, so many plants for so much money and so on. It was allowed once, so why not continue with this form of selling?

As such of course people are going to take what seems to be the better deal. Which is just what this trader wanted, knowing a person can fit 10-up small unhealthy plants in a box that costs much less then 20$ to send. All the while relying on the nice people to just be happy they received so many plants that might cost more to buy elsewhere and not really look at what the actual cost of shipping was.

However this is not sending plants for the cost of postage as it is clearly defined here and anywhere else I have seen trading.

I just don't understand why this post was allowed to stand and continue. Especially as we have so many new members, who may also be new to trading.

It just seems to me that by allowing it to stand, or not having a moderator comment directly on the thread, or question this member on the thread, that new members would assume that this type of selling is indeed allowed.

I would also point out that if indeed the fine points of rules of selling vs sending for postage were understood and followed there would not have been the number of responses to the thread I quoted.

I understand having the mods not mediating trades, but it just seems to me that if posts offering for trade or postage could be scanned by a moderator first then such things as the post I quoted would be caught right at the outset and many problems could be avoided.

Last edited by fearadyn; 07-07-2011 at 11:55 PM..
Old 07-08-2011, 12:02 AM
Esteemed Nut

A good sized aloe plant can easily cost $10 to ship correctly packed.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:33 AM
Critter Rescue Angel

yes indeed Mara, as we just finished doing

I think this is why I like to stick with the flat rate boxes, it avoids so much confusion of what postage cost will be. The rates are set and wont change unless the post office raises them and since they just did it will be firm for while.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:18 AM
Esteemed Nut

I find that the Flat rate box is the expensive way to go unless it is crammed full of plants and the box is heavy. otherwise it is cheaper to pay for priority non flat rate IF the box has one plant and is light.. But using the convenient flat rate is easy to do and figure out in advance. I will often send the box and tell the client what I paid , trusting the other trader to make good. Yes , I have been burned once. I got over it quickly. I always feel that people make a deal, stick with what they are comfortable with , be nice to each other, send good plants and stop your complaining. Politely and dispassionately leave a rating and walk away, and focus on all the times one got a good deal. Bad deals happen, sometimes for no reason in either 's control. Sometimes it is a matter of personality conflict and has nothing to do with the goods. Sometimes it is just a bad deal based on misunderstanding. Sometimes one gets burned because of bad intensions. OH WELL. Sometimes I think the people got sick and died. I hate the idea that I might be leaving a bad rating on a suffering person. I get a kick out of reading the negative ratings. Good entertainment.

Yea, there are times, I think that the postage was high, but the plant was well cared for. That is life. I would rather have that than a mangled plant. People have differing relationships with money how one does things. Give each other a break.

I have a tendency to judge a trade by what I could get them for at my local nursery. I try to send mine for less. I mean why are we trading but to make this a cheaper way of getting plants. I must admit that trades makes available what is not available to us sometimes. That is also a variable.

I find that I am falling out of trading gobs because I like my local trades better. I get more and it is easier. Because of climate considerations, most of you have few plants I can grow but People from all over seem to be able to grow my tough Texas plants so often the trades I do are for postage. It is easier than accepting plants I can't use.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:23 AM
Tree

In response to fearadyn's statement

"I just don't understand why this post was allowed to stand and continue. Especially as we have so many new members, who may also be new to trading."

Please remember that moderators cannot possibly read every post every day. We are also dependant on members to "report" posts they feel are questionable. we will then investigate and make a decision on whether it violates forum rules.

This is a community that all members are responsible! Moderators are volunteers and have lives outside of this forum. So we all need to keep each other informed.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:06 AM
Tree

What happens when we send postage and get nothing in return?
Old 07-08-2011, 08:08 AM
Flower Garden

gardeningmom, I agree and I should have reported it to the mods. Thank you for pointing that out and next time I will do just that~

Yes, going by the size of the flat rate boxes one large plant can very well cost 10$ to send.

But in the post I quoted it was stated that they were all small, damaged plants. In your trade you knew right up front your plant was large, healthy and how much it would take to get to you in a safe condition.

Had the post read like 1 large healthy plant -10flat rate

2 med-large for 10, 4 med plants for 10.. and so on I would not have had an issue with it.

I agree Bali ~ It's all about building and keeping trust.

Last edited by fearadyn; 07-08-2011 at 08:21 AM.. Reason: added
Old 07-08-2011, 08:21 AM
Esteemed Nut

Skacl1, Leave a rating on Itrader. It is located on the top right hand side of each entry. I can see that you have three trades and have placed 833 posts. If I click on the number three, I see that every one is happy with your three trades. read the itrader BEFORE one trades with people. It is the wild west out there.
Closed Thread
-->