Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > Tools and Toys

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2011, 08:29 AM
Bush

Some of the plants possibly not being good for fish, I don't think you will have issues with waste in a pond or aquarium being bad for the plants, if anything it should help them. But with fish you could not use rooting hormones or fertilizers or chemicals.

The plants in a watergarden or pond play many parts on the quality of the water. I would assume the same applys in an aquarium. The plants help use up the waste and help keep the water clean. Not only do they make it look nice it is good for it. Someone else on here had mentioned awhile back that they had discovered a volunteer fern growing in their water filter on their fish tank.

Think of it this way, you know green slimy stuff that grows on the sides of a fish tank or the string algae that grows on rocks and streams in a pond, they are algae which is also a plant. If it can thrive in a fish tank or pond so can plants of your choosing as a matter of fact the more plants of your choosing will use up more nutrient in the water and in turn will starve the algae and green slime.

Sorry there goes my love for watergardening blabbering away again.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:46 AM
Flower Garden

Zorfox on the contrary rhapsodize away on the merits of aquarium water! I find it extremely interesting .. I certainly did not know that air stones incorporated less oxygen into the water than a waterfall! That's something I will look into.

I do know that established plants love aquarium water .. I'm just wondering if newly forming roots can handle the levels of nitrates .. definitely worth a try .. if it proves to be better than a plain air stone & water I may end up resurrecting Feif's aquarium.

So by all means PLEASE try rooting cuttings and report back! I love learning new ways to do things!
Old 07-28-2011, 03:02 PM
Blossom

Originally Posted by deeka View Post:
The plants in a watergarden or pond play many parts on the quality of the water. I would assume the same applys in an aquarium. The plants help use up the waste and help keep the water clean....

... the more plants of your choosing will use up more nutrient in the water and in turn will starve the algae and green slime.
I used to use specific seaweeds in a homemade denitifier on a reef tank once upon a time. Basically it was an enclosed glass container with a light source under the tank. I pumped water through it. The seedweed utilized the nitrates as fertilizer reducing the alga blooms in the tank. It was MUCH cheaper than chemicals, UV lighting, or special filters to do the job.

There is a special type of hydroponics garden that uses pond water as the solution for the plants. I canít remember the term off hand but itís pretty interesting. Itís just a little ecosystem. The plants use the waste that can kill the fish. The gardener can then enjoy fresh vegetables and fish. I have seen pictures of large systems using tilapia in that manner.

Originally Posted by Xeolyte View Post:
I'm just wondering if newly forming roots can handle the levels of nitrates .. definitely worth a try .. if it proves to be better than a plain air stone & water I may end up resurrecting Feif's aquarium.
I donít think the nitrates would cause any harm to the cuttings. Then again I have never experimented with rooting cuttings in that manner. It would prove to be an interesting experiment to use water, vermiculite, air stone, and circulating aquarium water and see which one wins. Maybe one day when I have more than an hour to relax.
Old 07-28-2011, 04:53 PM
Flowering Shrub

Xeolyte- I put a black peppermint cutting in the tank this morning as a test, quickly learned that you have to tether the tray or it floats over to & gets taken out by the waterfall I'm wondering though if it will make any difference that my tank is still fresh? It's got spring water in it too.
Old 07-28-2011, 05:39 PM
Flower Garden

Don't really know because I've never tried rooting in a fish tank. Keep us posted!
Old 07-28-2011, 05:53 PM
Blossom

Please keep us posted mintygirl! I'm quite interested in the results as well.

Xeo, One thing I failed to consider until now. Fish breeders use an airstone over eggs to prevent fungus. In nature the mother fans the eggs. I wonder if that has anything to do with the increased rooting success. I suppose a good flow of water would be close but a mass off bubbles would tend to prevent fungal spores from settling much better.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:23 PM
Flowering Shrub

7/28
http://www.flickr.com/photos/65732418@N02/5985711635/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/65732418@N02/5985709851/
& I found this guy swimming around with the goldfish, apparently dh added him
http://www.flickr.com/photos/65732418@N02/5986296878/

Last edited by mintygirl; 07-28-2011 at 07:28 PM..
Old 07-28-2011, 07:50 PM
Bush

I believe that should work minty. Just looked at your other pictures of the hosta, it looks alot like my "Jane" hosta. But there are so many variety's it's very hard to tell. Over 500 from what I understand.
Old 07-31-2011, 07:14 AM
Acorn

The goldfish will pick and eat at the plants.
Old 07-31-2011, 03:49 PM
Flower Garden

Zorfox I'm always up for experimenting! And Night Jackal may have a point there with the little fishies chowing down on newly forming roots!
Old 07-31-2011, 04:25 PM
Flowering Shrub

Night Jackal - I hadn't thought of that, hmm, I haven't seen him up around it yet though. Both the fish tend to stay in the lower half of the tank (goldfish is freaked out by the waterfall lol & shark just hids in his castle thingy).

Update: Hasn't died yet
Old 08-03-2011, 07:25 AM
Flowering Shrub

8/3- Caught the goldfish exploring it yesterday, shooed him away & he hasn't come back, yet. Still not dead
Old 08-03-2011, 07:30 AM
Flower Garden

Lol .. now that's not nice .. goldfish should be able to explore new acquisitions in the attic!
Old 08-03-2011, 10:05 AM
Bush

with Xeo, I don't think the fish will eat enough of the roots to bother them. Let them explore. They may even lay eggs for you.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:12 PM
Blossom

I haven't tried that but then again i use basic house hold items.... i dont have an aquarium anymore so ill just stick to the regular for now.
-->