Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > Tools and Toys

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2014, 01:59 PM
Blossom

Trellis/Clematis Question?

Hi there. I have an odd question for you guys I am hoping you can answer!

I am getting two rooguchi clematis in the next few days and want to grow them on two large obelisk trellises. I know that rooguchi clematis do not have tendrils that wrap around the bars, so I am wondering if I should plant them in the center of the obelisk so they will grow up the center and have the obelisk to help hold them up?

This makes more sense to me than growing it on the outside and winding it through the obelisk trellis. Does anyone have any thoughts/experience trying something like this?

To me it makes more sense but I've never grown a clematis without tendrils so i don't have any experience.

Attached is a picture of the obelisk trellis from the seller. They are about 7 feet tall. Thank you!

Old 06-25-2014, 03:11 PM
Flower Garden

they will be very pretty but i do not have any clematis so do not have much experience with them
Old 06-25-2014, 03:34 PM
Tree

I think it would work fine inthegarden. I have a young clematis in a pot with a tomato cage, and one of the vines found a side support and started growing up it. I didn't tie or wrap it on there - as it's grown upward, leaves and smaller side vines have kind of grown around the support - not tightly, but it's staying up there. I think I need to help some of the smaller vines over to the other supports, they seem to languish unless they have something to grow up. I'll try to get a pic of it.
Old 06-25-2014, 03:37 PM
Flower Garden

okay that sounds very nice and pretty as i have never seen one like you are talking before
Old 06-25-2014, 03:37 PM
Blossom

Thank you raccoon!

Sherie, thank you for your post. I felt like it made perfect sense to me, but I wanted some other opinions because sometimes i'm just crazy! But I think it'd look much nicer to grow up and out than to have it growing on the outside. I'd love to see a picture if you have one.
Old 06-25-2014, 03:42 PM
Tree

Here's a pic of it. It's not much to look at yet, but you can see how it grew right up the side. This is a young Diamantina clematis, the flowers open in stages over a couple weeks and the poor bloom on my vine has been beat up by all the rainstorms we've been having. Anyway, once this bit of vine found that support, it grew pretty quickly right up along it. I'm sure that as more vines start growing up the supports, they'll kind of get entangled and eventually have a good hold on them.

Old 06-25-2014, 03:47 PM
Blossom

Oh I love Diamantina. I planted two young ones this spring for an arbor and they haven't grown much yet but I can't wait for them to bloom. The blooms are so pretty!!

Thank you for sharing.

I am glad to hear that this will work for them. My clematis doesn't have any tendrils to grab on but I still think it should be okay, it'll probably just lean on the sides of the trellis I think? The stems of rooguchi clematis are much sturdier than the climbing ones from what I read.
Old 06-25-2014, 03:51 PM
Flower Garden

Sherie you have a very pretty clematis starting and can't wait to see yours garden 902 they will both be very pretty
Old 06-25-2014, 03:53 PM
Blossom

Thanks I am quite excited! Looked at the shipping and they are supposed to arrive today so I will be sure to let you know how they do.
Old 06-25-2014, 03:54 PM
Flower Garden

well good luck with your new plants
Old 06-25-2014, 04:01 PM
Tree

I just checked some more on the Rooguchi clematis (SO gorgeous!) and read that it will wrap onto supports with it's leaf stems. That's exactly what my Diamantina is doing. It doesn't have tendrils, but if you look closer, what looks like two tendrils - at the top and bottom of the pic - are actually the stems of a leaf (on top) and a side stem which has it's own leaves (at the bottom). They've grown around it in a loop like a tendril. Very cool, I didn't even know it was doing this til I looked closer at the pic, haha! I learn something new on here every day!

Last edited by Sherie0001; 06-25-2014 at 04:12 PM..
Old 06-25-2014, 04:03 PM
Tree

Thanks Racconbandit!

Inthegarden, good luck with your Rooguchis, and let us know how they do on your trellises!
Old 06-25-2014, 04:05 PM
Blossom

Could you show me where you found that?? Everything I am reading says they don't attach. This is an example of what I read about it:

So while most of the early hybrid Clematis bred with C. integrifolia blood in them are generally lax and can’t exactly climb – they just sort of drape themselves over things (and sometimes fall off, because they don’t have those nice twining petioles that wrap around things to hold on) – Rooguchi can actually ascend a small fence or trellis.

Yours looks like my other clematis that wrap around to grab on but I keep finding information that says that rooguchi doesn't do that. :/
Old 06-25-2014, 04:05 PM
Blossom

Aren't the blooms so pretty? I absolutely love them!!
Old 06-25-2014, 04:06 PM
Flower Garden

they are very pretty
-->