Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > Tools and Toys

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2009, 08:05 PM
Bush

There is so much more in here than can be seen on each side but at least I can walk into it now. Last week, it was packed to the door.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:06 PM
Bush

Wow, I need lessons in how to downsize photos. sorry.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:49 PM
Flower Garden

Well, this is one of those silly stories. I had all my hosta in their own garden when I decided to widen that particular garden (border) and completely rework it. I wanted to move my hosta to a mixed shade garden at the other end of the house, but could squeeze working that garden up into our schedule of building fences, erecting green house, etc., etc. By the time I got to it, it was already frosting and beginning to threaten freezing. By everything I read, you should plant hosta in the ground unless it has time to set down roots before the ground freezes. So I potted up all this mess of hosta and put it in the greenhouse. I leave it quite dry and it seems to be fine. But I was thinking about it the other day and decided I am going to plant some of it in my new shade garden that I've started. I have 25 azaleas and 3 hydranges in, but that's all. I want to add lots of hosta, ferns, impatiens, coleus, etc. I think the hosta--which is hardy to -40 degrees--will be fine. It will never get that cold here. I just have to make sure the soil I plant it doesn't get soggy. But I'm almost sure it won't unless our winter is as wet as our summer--my soil is soft and drains well. So this weekend I'm going to plant hosta.

What do you all think?

BTW, my greenhouse is only a 3-season house, so it gets pretty cold in there at night. I just can't afford to keep it heated. So I'm thinking the hostas that I don't plant, all those cannas, and the hydrangeas will get enough cold to meet their minimum annual quota of cold.

Last edited by BarefootGardener; 12-17-2009 at 08:52 PM..
Old 12-17-2009, 09:05 PM
Bush

So this weekend I'm going to plant hosta.

What do you all think?

BTW, my greenhouse is only a 3-season house, so it gets pretty cold in there at night. I just can't afford to keep it heated. So I'm thinking the hostas that I don't plant, all those cannas, and the hydrangeas will get enough cold to meet their minimum annual quota of cold.[/QUOTE]

BFG. First, what I think is that you are going to be one tired puppy from digging and planting hosta....
Next, I'm wondering why your plants don't die when it freezes without a little heat in there. I had a heater on here, and some of my tender ones wilted a little, and I know they would have died during the upper twenties we've had already. Here in Florida. The only reason or season I even need a greenhouse is in winter.
Old 12-17-2009, 09:51 PM
Flower Garden

I have taken my really tender plants in and have them quite happy in my south facing windows. I wanted my greenhouse so that in February and March I can start from seeds all sorts of plants I want to move outside as soon as the frosts and freezes are over. I hope to add at least a month to my growing season that way. I may later to some other types of green housing, but not now.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:44 PM
Bush

Since you are planning on digging, I was wondering how your hands were since your fall. Hope you healed up all right. Just jars me to my bones to fall down and leaves me sore all over. Good luck. I have some planting to do also.
Old 12-18-2009, 12:07 AM
Flower Garden

I won't be doing the digging. I have a friend who will do that for me. The fall did jar me, but my hand is something else. It is getting some better but not much. And, I know Mary (RR), I'm supposed to go to the ortho surg with this thing.
Old 12-18-2009, 05:51 AM
Bush

LOVE the space you have BFG~~!!!
Old 12-18-2009, 06:59 AM
Bush

Penny, Thank you very much. I have outgrown it severly and we have materials to build a larger one soon. My hubby's new plane and hanger barn for it outranked me. I can probably manage this winter but before next year I'll have one sized 14 by 22 feet instead of my little 12 by 12. I spent a lot of days recently painting with a three inch brush inside, a cheerful deep rose and pale green color that would brighten my attitude as I enter. Not finished yet because I will paint some stencil designs along the shelves but the cold ran me in early.
-->