Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > Tools and Toys

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2009, 08:24 AM
Blossom

Send a message via Yahoo to bridget aylward
I made mine from one of those cheap gazebo frames..you know the tarp over cheap lightweight pole frame..set in a corner wired to the chainlink fence on one end and a huge hedge to keep wnw winds off it..using the white tarp that came with for the roof (I will need to replace that or reinforce as it degrades..and plastic sheeting on the walls..using duck tape a light gauge wire to hold it on..was thinking of velcro..it'd be cheap and easy to use ..may need to wrap with some poultry wire I have on hand to reinforce since we do get santa ana winds here that blow for days...but the temp does not get too bad..delicate plants will either be inside the house or I'll use an infrared light in one area...I think the only plants I'll have to bring inside it are the brugs, my alocasia, my red jap maple, the succulents, and a couple big houseplants (my umbrella and ficus)...and any seeds/seedlings that'd be too tender..of course it is not going to freeze here until end of dec or even as late as Feb..just have to be prepared; one day it will be in the 80's and next a hard freeze...unpredictable..just aske the local weatherman (who's wrong more than right) LOL

speaking of greenhouses..I am an idiot..had one of those plexiglass and aluminum frame ones here 2 years ago and decided i didn't 'need' it (was using it for a bird aviary at the time and cut my birds down to just 5..)*sigh*..no way my DH will let me get another..it was drafty though and then too hot..the plexiglass panels just popped into the frame and were help by springclips and they would move in winds...
Old 10-16-2009, 08:33 AM
Bush

Bridgett, Can you send us a picture which is worth a thousand words as they say? We all borrow good ideas on here from each other. I'll try to get a pic of mine on very soon because the weather is due to change here from eighty to fourties today and that's drastic on my tropicals, so my work is cut out digging holes today. Thanks for your ideas.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:35 AM
Bush

Originally Posted by kettish View Post:
Grumpy, beavercreek, what kind of plastic are you putting on the kennel frame, and how are you attaching it?
I was going to use 6-mil clear poly film. With the pipe frame of the kennel and pvc tubing roof framing, I planned to take pieces of a larger size pvc pipe, cut a couple of inches long, split lenghtwise, and snap over the film and pipe. There are clips that you can buy for this purpose and that is all that they are. I saw them on several websites that give instructions on building your own greenhouse.

If using a wood frame, you could just staple the film to it.

I won't be building my greenhouse after all. Since our weather here doesn't get or stay very cold, I just need something to hold over my plants during the occasional frost and to get a start on seeds in the spring. I am going to make space in my garage for a shelf with lights hanging over it.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:37 AM
Flowering Shrub

I wish I had a wood frame...I've got an aluminum porch cover that's sort of corrugated, I'm not sure how I'm going to seal that to keep warmth in since heat does after all rise. Harrumph.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:41 AM
Bush

[QUOTE=bridget aylward;80553]one day it will be in the 80's and next a hard freezeQUOTE]

Originally Posted by beavercreek View Post:
the weather is due to change here from eighty to fourties today
Same here, 92 yesterday and not supposed to get out of the 60's today. Saying goes, "If you don't like the weather in Houston, just wait an hour."
Old 10-16-2009, 08:48 AM
Bush

I may not be having to cover our kennel for extra space now since we are building a hanger for the plane and I have demaned a corner with windows in it for my tallest plants. Just depends on how much is left out after the greenhouse gets filled up. I have aquired a lot more plants lately. If your hubby is handy, you might convince him to pick up some long salvage windows and frame in part of your porch for your little greenhouse that could be heated. Beg.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:51 AM
Bush

Sometimes I see people just giving away or selling real cheap those six foot sliding doors and that covers a lot of area fast. Just a thought, I'm searching for my hanger windows on Craigh's list this morning. (meant to say demanded, in last post) The expense of his hanger rightly gives me a little corner of space for my stuff, right?
Old 10-16-2009, 08:52 AM
Bush

I wish I had a wood frame...I've got an aluminum porch cover that's sort of corrugated, I'm not sure how I'm going to seal that to keep warmth in since heat does after all rise. Harrumph.
I also have a patio cover of corrugated sheeting. I had thought of framing the east side and part of the north side with 2x4's and attaching the poly sheeting, mostly to block the winds (wish I had it up this morning). It doesn't need to be sealed very tight at the top, there will be some heat loss but if you are going to have a heat source, the plants will benefit from the heat before it does excape (could duct tape the film to the roof if you did need a tighter seal). I thought about clamping furniture quilts from the ceiling along the west side of the area that I would be containing my plants if I needed more protection. And with the corrugated roof I would be adding lighting also.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:00 AM
Bush

I read another post that said they were using furniture bubble wrap to insulate. Don't know where to get that for free though but worth searching out I guess. I need to buy some of the expanding foam to seal some cracks between my roof and side walls too.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:31 AM
Flowering Shrub

Oh the expanding foam idea is excellent! We've been trying to figure out how to seal the end by the house anyway, our rental home has no gutters so when it rains too hard we get rain on the porch as well (sort of defeats the purpose, huh?). We could use the foam on both ends so that our rain barrel collection is maximized, too. Great idea beavercreek!
Old 10-16-2009, 09:50 AM
Bush

Originally Posted by beavercreek View Post:
I read another post that said they were using furniture bubble wrap to insulate.
I have seen in catalogs an item that is supposed to insulate plants from frost. It is a double-walled sleeve that you fill with water. A sheet of bubble wrap would probably do the same, just doesn't have the same weight, would need to anchor it down.
Old 10-16-2009, 10:12 AM
Bush

Can you buy them in lots of 100? I have way too many plants for that but would work good for people with a few special loves.
Old 10-16-2009, 10:13 AM
Flowering Shrub

I know what you're talking about, that 'wall o' water' thing from burpee right? I never quite understood how that works as water always takes heat away from other things. Probably just the fact that it keeps air contained around the plant and magnifies the sunlight maybe...?
Old 10-16-2009, 03:04 PM
Bush

'wall o' water' from burpee right?
Those are the ones. They are kind of pricey, 3 for $12. Their ad says that the sleeves will add 8 weeks to the growing season. I don't know how they work either. Since the tops are open there isn't a problem with air circulation. The theory must be similar to that of dosing your plants prior to a freeze whereby the frozen water on the plants supposedly insulates the plant from damage.
Old 10-17-2009, 07:06 PM
Bush

This is the inside of my greenhouse today.
-->