Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > Tools and Toys

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2009, 08:26 AM
Bush

Show us your Greenhouses.

Would some of you lucky people who have greenhouses be willing to show us pictures of the outside and inside of them so that it will help us improve ours? This is the time of year that we are preparing to protect our tender plants, so there's a lot of talk about the best ideas for building or improving them. Thanks
Old 09-28-2009, 08:39 AM
Bush

What I'm actually hoping to learn is better ways through some of your ideas to improve, venelation, heating, misting or watering systems you use, sinks or potting areas and places you love to lounge and enjoy your work.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:20 AM
Bush

My greenhouse is still in my mind. I've been thinking about how to build one economically for quite some time. Then suddenly I remembered that I have a 8' x 12' dog kennel, unassembled, behind my storage shed. I'm going to put the frame together, leaving the chain link off, add a hoop roof out of pvc pipe, and then skin it with clear film. I'll then put a cheap portable heater in for the 2 or 3 nights of cold weather we get each year.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:54 AM
Super Moderator

I posted about my little glasshouse a while back: http://www.plantswap.net/forum/f25/g...-482/#post1929

The structure itself, along with the heating, watering and ventilation systems are all "owner-designed" ... to fit our very specific needs.
It's worked well for me since 1994, but it might not work for anyone else.

If I lived further south, I'm sure that I would need to ramp up the ventilation system (at least), and maybe even use a shadecloth,
while if I lived at a more northerly latitude, the whole building would need to be re-designed -
the flattish roofline is not designed for maximum solar collection, nor to shed snow load.

Old 09-28-2009, 10:01 AM
Bush

Thanks Grumpy, I also have a kennel that I had not thought of using for extra room. The dogs sure don't use it cause they sleep on the sofa like little chihauhaus do. Sometimes the winds get so bad here with hurricanes, etc. that if I were you, I'd have to put the chainlink back up also for support of the plastic. Great idea for doing it with what on hand.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:12 AM
Bush

Wow ZuZu, That's very nice. I was wondering how I missed reading about that, but see that it was way back in 2007, years before I joined in Feb. It has some real good information and sites to study, Thanks a lot. Hope to get more photos though since they speak a lot of words and ideas.
I have a small one that I'll spend the next few days trying to recondition and clean out for Winter. Just hoped to find some new ideas for improvement before I fill it up. I'll take photos when it's cleaned up.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:15 AM
Bush

Originally Posted by beavercreek View Post:
Sometimes the winds get so bad here with hurricanes, etc. that if I were you, I'd have to put the chainlink back up also for support of the plastic.
Never thought about the wind tearing up the plastic, might have to revise my design. As I said, it has been a work in progress, only in my mind.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:20 AM
Bush

Yep, there's a lot to think of so that's why I'm asking for ideas and help to improve mine.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:32 AM
Bush

Even though we are "in differnt zones" we probably have pretty similar winters.
I am going to place my greenhouse on the east side of a big tree, under the canopy. It will get good morning light, and filtered light in the afternoon, so I won't need shade cloth. At worst I might need to add a shop light with gro-bulbs to suppliment. For heat I have a portable heater that will be enough to keep the temps above freezing, and for ventilation I hope that I can just open the door and set a box fan in the opening. With the way that the film will be attached, I could also just unclip it at the bottom and lift it up to allow air flow.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:51 AM
Bush

Are you going to start this project soon? I'm getting excited to go out and start on mine today with all this talk about it. I wanted to put an old double sink in it with drainage to the outside, just for wash up and watering during potting. I put a base and top cabinet to store supplies in. I attached a spiral hose with a spray mister on the end to a hydrant just outside the greenhouse, for watering plants. Covered trash cans under the shelves hold stuff like peat moss, fertalizer, gardening soil, and labels on the outside help. I have a brick floor to retain warmth and let me have drainage as I water. That's just a few of the ideas I'm using.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:09 AM
Bush

I though I would start gathering the materials that I'll need (pvc fittings and plastic film) and start construction next month. I've got time before 'winter' arrives here. I'm mostly wanting to work with starting seeds early.
I never thought about storage bins for soils and things. That would free up space in my utility building.
If you don't have a sink yet, check with your local recycling centers. A lady I met at a swap last Saturday told me that a center near me has stainless sinks piled off to the side, and sells them by weight. I'm trying to find the address so that I can go check them out. Don't know what they charge, but they couldn't cost much.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:34 AM
Bush

Grumpy, I have two sinks already, hubby just got tired and quit before installing me one when he built the greenhouse, but I just hit him up about it this morning and we will see. I'm headed out with a can of paint to put on my cabinets. Yep, the trash cans help keep critters, like spiders, etc. out of your opened bags of potting soil, etc too.
Old 10-16-2009, 06:54 AM
Flowering Shrub

Grumpy, beavercreek, what kind of plastic are you putting on the kennel frame, and how are you attaching it? I've got a covered porch I'm thinking of sheeting off for the winter to overwinter everything in but am a bit confused by everything on the Lowe's website. :dont know:
Old 10-16-2009, 08:17 AM
Bush

plastic

Hi, I would use the heaviest weight or thickest I could find of course to keep it from blowing away and keep warmth in and cold out. I probably have higher winds here than you do. Have a huge roll of very heavy stuff left over from when the hurricane took off my shingles. Good luck.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:19 AM
Flowering Shrub

Thank you!
-->