Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > Tools and Toys

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2009, 02:42 PM
Forest

SmileRefrigerators which one is best to buy?

I need help selecting a refrigerator >.....
What is your best choice?
What I had in mind was, French doors with freezer on one side/regular on the other..
Stainless steel front.

I looked at Frigidaire
wholepool
kitchen aid
Maytag
LG..............what is that ?
GE.......i read online is awful.

Kenmore

Any advice is appreciated..

They say one year warranty is all on any.
Bottom freezer is more pricey.

I hate the solid door ..

thanks
Old 06-05-2009, 02:51 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Bali, we have a Kenmore side by side, had it for about 16 yrs...never had any problems...Only thing ice maker freezes up occassional. We never get the warranty...hubby feels it's a waste of money....Just our opinion! Hope this helps a little! MWAH!

"Even if sin did come into the world through a woman....so did the Saviour!"
Old 06-05-2009, 03:04 PM
Vegetable Garden

you are aware that the stainless steel fronts are a magnet for fingerprints, yes?

just went to the Kitchen to check, mine is a Whirlpool Gold 'Conquest'. It is 6 years old and I am still happy with it. Roomy, the shelves are pull out and easy to clean, the freezer has pull out baskets. the doors open extra wide. I just do not trust the filter for water/ice, it seems to go for a long time before the replacement light comes on, so I change the filter every 4 months needed or not.

Evelyn

Gone Tropical's Garden
Old 06-05-2009, 03:06 PM
Forest

Smile

dIANE

IS SIDE BY SIDE A DOUBLE DOOR?
i HAVE 2 REFRIG. AND ONE FREEZER.

WE PUT COW IN IT ......
MY 16 YEAR OLD IS IN SHAMBLES.

THANKS
i AM TAKING MY OWN POLE..loL
Old 06-05-2009, 03:35 PM
Super Moderator

It is side by side double doors...freezer one side, refri..on the other...Ours is black finger proof...love it...I like stainless steel but agree with GT..about fingerprints...! Hope you find the one suitable for you!

"Even if sin did come into the world through a woman....so did the Saviour!"
Old 06-05-2009, 04:00 PM
Forest

Originally Posted by gone_tropical View Post:
you are aware that the stainless steel fronts are a magnet for fingerprints, yes?

just went to the Kitchen to check, mine is a Whirlpool Gold 'Conquest'. It is 6 years old and I am still happy with it. Roomy, the shelves are pull out and easy to clean, the freezer has pull out baskets. the doors open extra wide. I just do not trust the filter for water/ice, it seems to go for a long time before the replacement light comes on, so I change the filter every 4 months needed or not.

Evelyn
Thanks evelyn,

No I didnt know that .My stainless steel sink isnt..

Now I must change my drive again..LOL

Thanks for the idea
Old 06-05-2009, 04:30 PM
Sprout

We have a whirlpool side by side and love it. Had it for two years and no problems. The glass shelves slide out for easy clean up and it holds a lot. I think it is 26 cubic feet. Make sure you measure the width where you are putting it. I agree with gone tropical on the stainless steel. I have to think about that with three children and all the friends that come with them!!!
Old 06-05-2009, 05:49 PM
Forest

ltp

Thanks .whirl p I have now .

Sounds like the side by side is popular.

I have lots of space there and was going for the 26.

Thanks
Old 06-05-2009, 06:38 PM
Flower Garden

I have a gorgeous Samsung that is not stainless steel but looks like it. It doesn't scratch and is much easier to keep clean than stainless. It has the freezer in the bottom so it holds more, and it has a digital display on the front to tell you the temp in both the top and bottom, the ice maker on and off, etc. I love it and highly recommend it.
Old 06-05-2009, 06:56 PM
Forest

dr

Thanks never heard of Samsung in our area.

The stainless look a likes, I heard will scratch.

Not sure I could stomach it .

Old 06-05-2009, 07:38 PM
Flower Garden

I don't know what is different about Samsung's finish and cheaper ones, but Samsung's will absolutely not scratch. I had stainless before and won't go back. I have since bought a Samsung microwave and am about to buy a Samsung range. I love it!!! I have been unable to find a single complaint about it on the Internet.
Old 06-05-2009, 07:51 PM
Flower Garden

I have a stainless side by side Frigidaire. Had it about 4 years, no problems. I dont have small children so the hand prints have not been an issue for me. It holds lots of groceries. And the freezer door has the ice and water dispenser. Left hand side is the freezer, the fridge on the right. Its easy to clean and has slide out baskets or bins for the freezer. We liked it so well that we bought the dishwasher and stove to match. My husband wanted me to have the smooth top stove and I love it. I wasnt sure at first but got used to it and I really like it. The oven is also a convection oven with the flip of a switch. Self cleaning too. We bought an Amana above the range microwave though. It has more features than the frigidaire model. Its stainless and has the matching handle so you really cant tell the difference. I have no complaints about the microwave either. Oh one thing about the stove. Its got lots of buttons to push to do different things. For a while there I was the only one who could cook because no one else knew how to operate it. Now, there's directions taped to the cabinet door on how to operate the oven. My 14 year old had a really hard time learning how to operate the oven. But now she has notes to help her out with that.
Just my two cents.
Deb
Old 06-05-2009, 07:54 PM
Flower Garden

One more thing.......be very careful about the size of the thing. We bought the biggest one we could find and had to take the doors off to get it inside. I thought we were going to have to take it back and get another one. Last year we bought a front loading washer and dryer and had to take the stairway apart to get it downstairs. Looks like we would have learned from the fridge fiasco but I guess we are slow learners. Or like to do things the hard way.
Deb
Old 06-05-2009, 08:24 PM
Esteemed Nut

I picked up a kitchen aid stainless at a scratch and dent store in a Hispanic Flea Market for cheap 6 years ago. No complaints and I don't have problems with the hand prints. I wish it was smaller and more efficient. My son left and it is hard to fill it up.
Old 06-05-2009, 08:37 PM
Flower

Smile

Hi,
I have a Samsung also,I purchased it at LOWES at the scratch and dent section. I saved 500.00 on it . And so far it works great. It has french doors and a freezer on the bottom. I like this set up the freezer holds more than I thought it would.
Shannon
-->