Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > Tools and Toys

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2011, 04:38 PM
Blossom

Recycling fun

I found a few cedar trees sprouting in a container today. I thought they would make a nice bonsai one day so I potted them up. Tall, skinny; barley able to stand up to the wind, and it was windy today. I happen to be drinking a bottle of water so I decided to cut the ends off and use it for a temporary windscreen. It worked great! Then it occurred to me that they would make a nice seed starting greenhouse. Due to the shape of the bottle it worked fantastic. I think I am going to fix up 20-30 and start some fall vegetables as a test run. Apparently Iím not the only one to think about this. I googled recycling water bottles for gardening and saw a lot of people thought the same thing. Just thought maybe others here were like me. Just never heard of it.

A mini greenhouse for starting seed...

A simple temporary wind screen...

Notice the inward curve in the middle of the bottle? Leave the bottom skinny at the top and the top portion wide. The top slips nicely over the bottom...

Old 08-31-2011, 10:22 PM
Flower Garden

2ltr bottles with the bottoms cut off make excellent cloches to get a jump start on the growing season in early spring. You can control the temperature and humidity by leaving cap on or off or on but loose.
Old 09-01-2011, 12:27 AM
Bush

Send a message via MSN to calinromania Send a message via Yahoo to calinromania
Yup, I use the 2 L ones as greenhouses for rose cuttings. Most of the times it works. the 5 L ones, I cut them low, punch a lot of holes and use as trays for seed germination.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:01 AM
Super Moderator

Great ideas, gotta love those re-usin'-it projects!!

I have found that the 5 gallon bottles designed for drinking water dispensers make great cloches, too - and the distribution companies are usually willing to part with older, scuffed up bottles for cheap when I ask (sometimes even for free). The distributors also usually have a supply of discarded caps on hand that you can use to cover the top openings if you are trying to retain moisture or heat, but a piece of cling wrap and a rubber band will do the job, too.

The biggest challenge with these thicker bottles is cutting off the bottoms of the bottles - but it isn't too difficult using a dremel tool, and there was even one distributor who offered to do that part for me when I explained how I was going to use them, so it pays to ask --- and as a bonus, the bottoms make pretty decent saucers.

Old 09-01-2011, 08:01 AM
Flower Garden

Thanks for the tip! Guess where I'll be going today!
Old 09-05-2011, 08:02 PM
Acorn

Send a message via AIM to priscilla

water bottles

i started cutting my watter bottles a couple weeks ago. my family thought i was nuts. i thought it was a good idea when i thought it up. great minds think alike. i'm glad to see your blogs. now they have to say i'm not so crazy! priscilla
Old 10-17-2011, 09:32 PM
Critter Rescue Angel

Recycling fun

I have adenium seeds I been wanting to plant but was trying to think of the most space saving way to do it because there is only so much space under the grow lights on the seedling stand. So after I was done with the fruit tray I got at our local market I used it to plant 5 kinds of adenium sees. I made drain holes in the bottom and it worked out so nice.

Filled with my mix and placed the seeds in it. Labeled each compartment and dated it an put the number of seeds planted on the back of the label.

Put the lid on top for added protection and to help keep heat and humidity in.

There is a gap between the container and lid for nice ventilation.

And lastly under the grow light it goes.

I think this is going to work pretty nice and I can use it over and over again later.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:07 PM
Blossom

Excellent! I'm collecting Starclucks iced coffee cups (and lids) along with Schmepsi bottles for seed starting fun. I also have loads of sour cream, ricotta cheese and cottage cheese cups too.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:02 PM
Blossom

Cool

I save large maxwell house coffee canisters. Works great in a pinch for a pot if you drill a few drain holes. The handle comes in handy when moveing plants around the yard. The lids are great for setting under pots. I keep one in the kitchen as a compost container.
Old 06-30-2014, 06:48 PM
Flower Garden

Thumbs upThe Good Idea Thread

I've been saving these cool little 4" deep plastic containers that my spring mix garden greens come in, to use as little mini "greenhouses".... to either germinate seeds or root cuttings inside.

The container is clear, an added bonus, so you can even see when your cuttings take root. You can also make drainage holes on the bottom of these containers. The lid is cool for airing the cuttings or seedlings.

Last edited by zuzu's petals; 02-07-2015 at 09:50 AM.. Reason: merge to existing thread on same topic
Old 06-30-2014, 07:08 PM
Flower Garden

i have used these lately for cactus plants and other plants as i ran out of flower pots

i have used kids swingset and kids toy dump trucks and all kinds of things and made flower pots out of them right now i have a kids toy turtle full of moss rose

Last edited by zuzu's petals; 02-07-2015 at 10:18 AM.. Reason: merge multiple posts by same poster
Old 06-30-2014, 07:39 PM
Bush

Like em all!!
I have used old shoes to plant hen and chicks in. My kids call em shoe plants. I also planted them in an old enameled cast iron sink.

We just finished up tearing down our old back porch and putting up a new one I really liked the old hand railings. They were old, hand made, and nothing special, but I painted them to match the roofs of my garden shed and chicken coop and used them in the beds to support tall guys like holly hocks and tiger lily.

I save all our egg shells and crush them for around my plants the snails attack. It takes a lot, but it seems to be helping.
Old 07-02-2014, 06:43 PM
Flower Garden

Thumbs upAnother good idea...

I love using these little paper coin envelopes that I get at Staples Business Depot, for collecting and labelling seeds. You can label them and write the date they were collected right on the paper envelopes.

I also like to use them to share seeds with others too because you can conveniently write instructions for sowing, on the packets. Love that they're paper also...even commercial seeds are sold in paper packets.

If you ever get seeds from me, these are what they will come in....

Old 10-19-2014, 11:23 PM
Sprout

Mcdonalds salad containers work well for humidity domes.
Old 10-24-2014, 05:40 PM
Flowering Shrub

I use all kinds of recycled things for seed starters. How about a water bottle that's had the middle few inches cut out? I'm using this one to sprout priclky pear seeds
-->