Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > Tools and Toys

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2008, 05:31 AM
Blossom

Peat pots - having some probs

I need help with these pots. I love the idea...so much that I bought 100 of these things last fall. But everything I plant in them dies. I either over water them (they get soaked and stay soggy) or under water them (they dry out). Does anyone have the right way to keep them evenly watered so that I don't lose any more plants. I want to transfer my crepe myrtle seedlings into them but I'm afraid of killing them. Please help. Thanks!
Old 05-20-2008, 05:42 AM
Acorn

The soil makes the difference

A good all purpose potting soil should water up evenly. I use 1000 peat pots a year,and the only time I have trouble with watering is when the soil mix is too heavy. I cant afford a lot of store bought potting soil, so I use 1 part Miracle Grow potting soil, 1 part peat moss, 1 part vermiculite, and 3 parts home made compost. If I'm feeling really poor, I will substitute good garden soil for the potting soil. To water, I put the pots in a plastic tray and, add water to the tray. ( I always water from the bottom ) When the pots have absorbed all the water they can, take them out of the water until they feel dry on the outside and are kind of light. Then its back into the tray. I usually let one or two plants start to wilt, so I know how heavy ( or light) the pots are when they need water. Or, you could get one of those inexpensive water meters. With a little experience its pretty easy to tell when its time to water.
Hope this was usefull to you.
Lotsa luck with your gardening.
Bob
Old 05-20-2008, 09:00 AM
Blossom

Thanks Bob!

Yep, it helps...I think I'm forgetting the tray part. I've got the pot part down but I don't have the tray part down and it's a pain to move those pots back and forth all the time. I need to invest some time and money and make some things easier for me to do all of this gardening. I haven't had much time for the last 12-13 years and now that the family has gone their different ways (kids becoming adults) I'll have more time for the yard and the animals.

I'll try the lighter soil and see if that helps me too. Thanks!

Tags
peat pots, watering
-->