Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > Tools and Toys

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2008, 09:07 PM
BUBBA

Send a message via Yahoo to angmf2233

hey jd

Started on my mirror bowling ball, its gonna take forever, got about 1/3 done so far. Will let ya no when I get it done, lot of work to brake the mirror and try to glue in place. then I get to grout! Did you use some kind of sealant? I have never used that before, what will I need?
Old 09-17-2008, 05:35 AM
Flower Garden

You can get grout sealant. You just have to get a little applicator. At Lowes they have a bottle with a small brush on it. That would work. Its right there with the tiles and tile tools. I didnt use that on mine but when I bring it in for the winter , I"m gonna. You have to have a small applicator because you cant get it on the mirror pieces. The sealant should be there with the tiles and such at Lowes. And yea, it will take a little while if you broke the mirror into really small pieces. You' ll get it and when you get it done , you will love it.
Old 09-17-2008, 06:45 AM
BUBBA

Thanks JD

All right another reason for me to go to Lowes! Yea, will have to of course mosey on over to the garden area! Yes. Thanks for your help JD!
Old 09-17-2008, 06:56 AM
Flower Garden

Yea, I went over there yesterday for tiles and ended up in the garden area. Always seems to happen that way. I got a couple banana trees or bushes or plants , whatever they are called there the other day. Nice 2 1/2 to 3 ft plants for 3.50 each. I' ve always wanted one of those but they are pretty expensive so when I saw that price, I bought 2. Gotta love lowes!!!!!!!
Old 09-17-2008, 07:00 AM
BUBBA

jd

hey I saw the table your working on, very pretty! Hows it coming along? Is the sealant just for outdoor pieces? I had never used it? I have a small table in the weather that I did in mosaic, seems to be holding up? Is it necessary to use sealant?
Old 09-17-2008, 07:09 AM
Flower Garden

Still working on the table. Went out yesterday and was looking for red or orange tiles but no such luck. I just posted on freecycle for any tiles anyone has that they dont want. Hoping for some different colors from that. I have glued some of it down. Its probably 1/3 done but I have half of it laid out now. I think I would seal it angie. Are you going to leave it out during winter or bring it inside? It might withstand the summer rain but it might not. Your going to put so much work into it that it would break your heart to put it outside and not seal it and have it break apart. Your table is not sealed and its doing alright? Thats great!! If you feel confident that it wont ruin it, then dont seal but it would be a shame to have it fall apart once its outside. But the upside of that is, if it does fall apart, you know how to fix it!!!!!!!
Old 09-17-2008, 07:51 AM
BUBBA

jd

what are you using to glue down your tiles on the table? are you using the outdoor door and window sealant silicone? I am never really sure about glues sometimes. Alot of glues do not hold up outdoors! I have made different things and put outside only to have stuff fall apart! Boo hoo! The hot glue gun stuff only lasts for so long, I have decorated wreaths with that glue and slowly stuff starts to fall off!
Old 09-17-2008, 08:01 AM
Flower Garden

I dont like the hot glue gun. That stuff always falls off when I use it. I am using the outdoor window/door silicone on the table. I use it on everything. It just seems to do a good job for me. That's just my opinion and other people probably prefer different glues. The table is my potting bench top and its inside my garden shed so it wont be outside in the elements but will experience the freeze thaw cycles. So, I'm gonna seal it and hope it works out for me. The grout helps to hold the pieces into place also. So you have a combination of the two working for you.
Old 09-20-2008, 06:11 AM
BUBBA

jd

about half way now, this is taking me forever! Gotta keep breaking mirror pieces and sometimes they are to big, rebrake, honey is yelling that I'm gonna have glass all over. Not true, I am breaking inside of a heavy tablecloth! Duh! It just seems like it takes so long sometimes. Also I went to walmart the other day and they had stained glass window paint on clearance so I bought all 3 boxes for my other project! Did not start yet!
Old 09-20-2008, 06:19 AM
Flower Garden

If your making the pieces really small it will take a long time. But they are worth the effort angie. I have one of mine out in the yard and I love it. I took some car glass and broke it and did a small window for a table top. Those pieces were very tiny. It took forever to glue all those little pieces. I still need to grout it but I have all the glass glued. Then spring came and I stopped working on it. It will be worth it though when I'm done with it. Its gonna be a one of a kind table top. And your bowling ball will be the same, one of a kind. Keep going girl friend, you will get it done. Cant wait to see what ya do with that stained glass paint!!
Old 09-20-2008, 06:25 AM
BUBBA

stained glass paint

I brought and old 6 pane window home, want to paint the frame then do a stained glass effect on it. I have some liquid leading, don't no if it is still good had for a while was in the basement. Can't draw to good either, so I may have to get a stencil or something. After bowling ball is done, will start this!
Old 09-20-2008, 07:28 AM
Flower Garden

I cant draw anything either angie. But if you give me a paint brush I can paint. Wierd how that works. When you start doing the project you might be surprised at what you can do!!
Old 10-01-2008, 11:14 PM
BUBBA

JD

Hey I guess ya have been to busy moving all those plants inside to be working on that mosaic table? I have moved some into my sunporch, which is not heated so from there will go inside somewhere. I have my bowling ball about 3/4 of the way with mirror pieces, been slacking on the ball though. Been collecting seeds and some swapping, just hard to keep up with all of it ya know? Just thought I'd check in on this. Did ya ever find your other colored tile ya needed?
Old 10-02-2008, 05:39 AM
Flower Garden

Yea, Angie I have been busy getting things ready for winter. I havent worked on the mosaic for a while. I would like to finish it this fall but its looking like thats not going to happen. I cant find red or orange tiles. I"ve looked at alot of places where they sell tile. I"m thinking I'm going to have to go to hobby lobby or something like that. I just know I"m gonna have to pay an arm and a leg for them there. I have an ebay store bookmarked that sells tiles. I"m thinking I might need to go through them. If I remember correctly they sell all different colors. I just hate to pay the shipping. Dont worry about not working on your bowling ball, its about to get cold and your gonna have plenty of time to work on it. That's what I do in the winter, make things for my yard to put out in the spring. Helps pass the long cold winter days. Dont forget, we need to see pics of the ball.
-->

« Mosaics | Hey Jd »