Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > Tools and Toys

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2014, 11:06 AM
Forest

Smile

Just a lesson learned here on Grow lights .

I purchased the 4ft flur. light holder and the sunshine tube an white tube.

Got them home an looked at the box.. Fixture said Contains Lead.. wash your hands after handling.. Been know to cause cancer.

The tubes said .........May cause cancer.
Moral of the story , I returned them all.......Cheaper to buy plants then to raise cancer rate..........

No harm intended here, Just a friendly reminder.

Hope you have the safe types if there is any??

Also the spiral lights the government wanted us to buy, if you shatter them the same cancer scare.
Old 11-25-2014, 10:24 PM
Forest

Smile

I had in the past use heating cables which were buried in sand .

They did work for me, But since Hubby died, I am scared to have those things turned on when I aren't at home an he isn't here.

Last year my satellite dish was struck by lightening an killed my tv, my telephone an set my electric box pipe on fire........Cost me a pretty penny to fix it all.......An quite scarey if hubby isn't here to console me.
This is why I am jumpy at those things.

Sorry just saying those things do happen.
Old 11-25-2014, 10:36 PM
Flower Garden

you are very right these things do happen and it is very scary when it does
Old 11-26-2014, 07:01 AM
Forest

Unhappy

Was Horrible experience ......AN costly one
Old 11-26-2014, 07:19 AM
Flower Garden

There are grow lights that are like flood light bulbs. They are safer than the tube ones. I don't use the tube ones. I do use the cfls though but I've used cfls almost exclusively for several years in all my light fixtures. I haven't really started using any of my lights yet cause I'm still getting descent sun through the south and east facing windows. I'll probably start using lights before long though, just have to get my lamps out.

I've heard that you can use LEDs but I haven't tried them for growing yet. However, I have used them as under the cabinet lights. The ones meant for this cost way too much, so a couple years ago I bought some white led Christmas lights and affixed them to the underneath of my cabinets. It works great, great work space light where you aren't in your on shadow trying to see what you are doing and the cost next to nothing to burn. Lol, I love them for this but hate them on a Christmas tree, lol.
Philippians 4:13
Old 11-26-2014, 07:31 AM
Forest

Smile

Thing I don't like is the flood lights tend to bring the electric bill up.
Well I try to be cost efficient.. Less is better.LOL

I had a friend tell me about it , see in our area we have lots of winter. Right now it is starting to snow, again. Just to ruin party time.LOL

I thought most people on here are here to save money an do things that us commoners do .. All those fancy gro things add up ,if you want to put them in. Most of us don't have the extra space for it .. Be nice to have a heated green house in zero weather..lol
Old 11-26-2014, 08:05 AM
Flower Garden

Yeah, it would be nice o have a heated green house. I have to pinch every penny I can and have even eliminated as many doubles of things as I could this fall so I wouldn't have so many plants to worry with in the house. I'm super energy conscious, part of the reason I have used cfls for so long. My heat stays at 67 all the time. If I'm gonna watch tv or read I have a throw or blanket I grab to cover up with on the couch. If your up doing stuff you don't get chilly but sitting around you do.
We are getting rain, id rather have snow but it wouldn't lay cause the ground is still so mushy from the rain on Monday.
Old 11-26-2014, 08:59 AM
Forest

Smile

Tess

Big reason why I got on different plant forums, was to share seeds an plants that I could not afford otherwise. It is new world to be able to start flowers from seeds indoors. And the skys the limit.
So many things we have around the house like plastic margarine tubs etc an even food containers with a dome , all make mini greenhouses..Free

I is so great to share with those who would not otherwise have these things.

I always lived , the good you do for others will all come back to you.
God is the answer for sure.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:29 AM
Bush

I feel much the same about sharing. I do not think it is necessarily based on what ones financial situation is.
Each person gives or shares what they can.

Bali, you are right in saying that what you can give, comes back full circle in a matter of speaking.
I do believe that this is what gardening is all about.
Whether it is in seeds, plants or general information. It is all giving of yourself.

Hope everyone in the US has a wonderful Thanksgiving.

RC
Old 11-26-2014, 09:31 AM
Flower Garden

i agree also it is the giving and sharing that makes this garden deal work it is very much appreciated here as i have learnt a lot from all of you on here and really appreciate all the sharing and caring on
Old 11-26-2014, 09:48 AM
Forest

Thanks Richard Charles;
You read me wrong.. I meant lots of folks come on here who cant afford store prices.. An it gives me a good feeling in my heart to help those who need it most.. Its not based on dollars.

Thanks for thanksgiving greeting.. Guess yours is done..

Raccoonbandit .. your a real gem for giving from the heart.
May god bless your turkey day with more 4 leggers..LOL
Old 11-26-2014, 10:41 AM
Flower Garden

I love to share my plants. My problem is I'm real bad to propagate cuttings all over the place. Most of the folks I share with are on here most of my friends and family here aren't plant addicts. A couple are but they don't mess with houseplants.
Old 11-26-2014, 10:50 AM
Flower Garden

i love to share to but i am the same family and friends do not enjoy like i do so when i get extra next spring will share with all of you as i really enjoy having some one to share with
Old 11-26-2014, 11:11 AM
Flower Garden

Yeah, me too rb. Except for a few, most everybody is tired of me talking about or trying to give them plants, lol. We had a bazaar at church, well I took multiples of things I had. I had some azalea's that after it was over I gave them all to an elderly lady so her daughter in-law could plant them beside her driveway. I gave her a Christmas cactus too. She's a sweet lady and I love her dearly.
I like making other people happy and pleased.
Old 11-26-2014, 12:23 PM
Forest

Smile

YES YES~~~~~~~~~~~JUDY AN TESS,
THATS THE WAY TO OPERATE..........LOVE YOUR STYLE.

HEY TESS , JUDY HAS LOTS OF DOGS TOO, WONDER IF SHE IS SHARING THOSE???~~~~~~~~~ NEXT SPRING
-->