Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > Tools and Toys

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2014, 08:22 AM
Flower Garden

that way you have to go buy another one
Old 07-27-2014, 08:29 AM
Flower Garden

Yes Raccoon, and a warning to people who are buying camera cards like me...

Only buy the cheapest card they sell with the least amount of memory because I guarantee you'll be back buying another one again soon. Don't get soaked for their cards with tons of memory because the casing is the same and it's not built to last. Totally cheap and flimsy.
Old 07-27-2014, 08:07 PM
Flower Garden

Talking about the shears. They aren't made like tempered super sharp knife blades. Their cutting edge is different. Plus kitchen knives would dull too if you were using them on woody, textured plant stems and small branches. However, standard maintenance of cleaning and sharpening after heavy use will extend the life of even the cheapest dollar pruners. I've had pruners last for several years by doing this. I end out breaking the handles or something before the blades get to where they won't cut. I also have pruners for different things. I've used kitchen knives outside for cuttings, splitting root balls etc and after a few cuttings they severely dulled even though they were supposed to always stay sharp.
Philippians 4:13
Old 07-27-2014, 08:09 PM
Flower Garden

yes they do not make them out of the good material they use to anymore
Old 07-27-2014, 08:56 PM
Sprout

My beef is ebay sellers or nurseries with incorrect names on plants.....I guess I will have to get over it, cause i cant see it changing anytime soon lol :/
Old 07-28-2014, 07:02 AM
Flower Garden

You are right on target with that edleigh, that's a big pain. Makes me mad to find stuff miss labeled and it doesn't really do any good to tell someone that works there cause usually they don't know anyways.
Philippians 4:13
Old 07-28-2014, 04:58 PM
Sprout

Exactly Tess so I dont bother anymore lol
Old 08-07-2014, 12:58 PM
Flowering Shrub

And how about garden centers who sell plants not suited for the area but fail to say so on the tag. Yes, it might be an annual further south, but not in the area where you live. Or that plant might grow just fine if it's a cool summer or warm winter (or an extra cold, long winter) but not for a normal year. I always feel sorry for people who waste they time and money landscaping their yard with these "treasures".
Old 08-07-2014, 12:59 PM
Flowering Shrub

Or, how about people who pull a tag out of a pot and put it back into a different one. Now my all white flowers that I bought have a section where there are 6 red ones!
Old 08-07-2014, 01:02 PM
Flowering Shrub

Lol Vivey,
We bought about 15 or so butterfly bushes that were supposed to be mixed colors. We were pretty excited until a few weeks ago when they started to bloom......they are all purple. ugh.
Old 08-07-2014, 01:05 PM
Tree

Oh pinkham. I feel you. I did the same thing with butterfly bushes only I now have 2 purple and 2 pink in front of my house in a row where I wanted all purple. People are awesome.
Old 08-07-2014, 01:11 PM
Flower Garden

Oh that would supremely tick me off....to the point that I'd march right back to the nursery and demand that someone reimburse me for the plants....receipt or no receipt I'd have a bloody fit!!!!

Rest assured I wouldn't be leaving there until someone put some money in my hand!

Old 08-27-2014, 11:58 AM
Acorn

SmileGardening pruners...which type?

Hi The Hollyberry Lady, Read about your disappointment with pruning shears and decided to do a little research for you about this topic. In looking for pruning blades which will 'last', look for blades made of high-quality, hardened or carbon steel blades. They last longer and are less likely to nick or need frequent sharpening. I also found a website: gardeningproductsreview.com
This website personally tests and reviews garden products for the home gardener. On this site they have a guide listed called, "Best Pruning Shears: Comparison Guide." Here you'll find the length & widths, ergonomic designs, blade materials, left-handed(on some models) the cutting capacities, prices, and so forth. They even mention an 'ARS' squeeze latch which opens the pruners much easier. Take a look and see if this guide is helpful to you and everyone else looking for decent pruners.
Old 08-27-2014, 12:02 PM
Flower Garden

Wow, this is so nice of you, Carolina Girl!

I've used so many different kinds over the years. I will definitely check out your link, right now.

for being so helpful.

Old 08-27-2014, 12:17 PM
Flower Garden

Some of the brands mentioned in the link....are actually sold here in London.

That was so thorough and detailed, Carolina Girl. It really helped lots. Neat that there are even pruners for lefties....my mom is left-handed.
-->