Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > Other Types of Gardens

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2012, 02:47 PM
Acorn

Plants for ponds?

What are some good full sun plants for around and in a pond . And what are some good sites you could purchase some that won't break you
Old 06-13-2012, 03:26 PM
Tree

I have Nelumbo nucifera (Sacred water lotus) seeds. They take a few years to bloom thought.

Probably water hyacinths would do well, but they are invasive so watch them.

Theres also water lilies, there are many to choose from

I don't know what hardiness zone yours in, but there are also "cattails" and such wild plants that may do well there.

I don't have a pond, so I don't know a large amount of plants, but those came to mind.
Old 06-13-2012, 04:16 PM
Acorn

Pond plants

Thanks for the info I live in ga close to the fla line
Old 06-14-2012, 08:15 AM
Flower Garden

Cattails can also become very invasive in a very short time unless you cut off the heads and pull up the roots regularly. Pickerel Weed is a rather controlled plant for ponds and has a very nice purple flower similar to a hyacinth. It spreads slowly over time and does not have the horrible invasive root system that many water plants have. The beautiful red Cardinal flower also does well near ponds and the humming birds love it.
Old 06-14-2012, 04:09 PM
Flower Garden

The purple water iris are nice. The color is very, very vibrant compared to regular iris. Its a lovely plant. I dont know if you have a store called Menards down there or not but they sell water lily bulbs, very cheap way to get them instead of buying them already grown, which can cost a small fortune around here. I have 4 water lily that I have grown like that. Check craig's list and see if anyone is giving away pond plants. That's how I got my iris. And other plants that I have gotten, I went to the lake and picked them out of the water. LOL If there's a will to get them cheaply, there is a way lol
Old 06-14-2012, 05:35 PM
Bush

I also have some white water lilies that came from a roadside ditch, first and last to bloom. I have two ponds and grow pickeral weed, parrots feather, huge lotus, water lilies, black and purple elephant ears, and the giant kind, Louisiana iris, dutch iris, most any of the smaller iris except bearded...those drown and rot here in FL. Grasses work well around the pond. Texas Star hibiscus likes to be near water or marshy places. Bet you can goggle up a whole list of water loving plants, but those are what I grow here.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:08 PM
Acorn

Thanks everyone for the replies. I already have a couple of lilies and pickrelweed also have horsetail rush and button grass purple and yellow iris .like the idea of the Texas Star and lotus. Thanks so very much for the ideas

Last edited by angel; 06-14-2012 at 07:10 PM..
-->