Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > Other Types of Gardens

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2009, 03:16 PM
Blade of Grass

well awesome then it will grow and i will be pruning it cus i only have thirty gallons to work with so it can't get too big. give me one year and this is going to be AWESOME!!!
Old 02-18-2009, 04:08 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to mickeys_rose Send a message via Yahoo to mickeys_rose Send a message via Skype™ to mickeys_rose
dustin it sounds great! I agree with zuzu, pleco can be very destructive and also have a tendency of eating the plants not to mention upsetting the tank. Cory cats are great and also try the Apple snails as they don't reproduce so fast as the pond snails you find will soon over take your tank! Research the snails some love aquatic plants. They are fun though(Apple Snails) I had them one time and they lay eggs outside of the water and there is a male and a female for these snails.
As far as fish you can always go with stickle backs which can be found right there in your own backyard ponds, unless you are going to heat your tank and keep it at a constant temp of 75 + tetras will not live long and get stressed at lower temps. Also do research on the fish, the web site zuzu gave had some great pointers on animals to add to the tank.

I look forward to seeing this project finished and flouishing. Sounds like fun!
Old 02-18-2009, 04:17 PM
Blade of Grass

well there isn't much water so it stays pretty warm. before i actually get completely aquatic anything i am going to put a tiny air stone in the corner to circulate the water as not to have it stagnant the amphibians can have it because they like muddy muck and breath on land too so they don't need to have airy water. when that happens then maybe a few tetra and i would be getting some very tiny snails i had seen in the pet store. from the looks of it they aren't very big and stay about that size. and also duck weed is very invasive so either i will be scooping it out every couple of weeks or something is going to eat it. i'm excited for this i can't wait till it is ecologically sound and living primarily on it's own.
Old 02-18-2009, 05:58 PM
Flowering Shrub

Dustin, what an awesome job, it looks great, and will only get better !! I have shown the pictures to my teenage son, and you have inspired him, so thanks !!

We have fish tanks in any area they will fit, and I think he would have them all the way up his wall if he could. Looks like we will be adding another one...LOL

I hope you will keep us posted on how this works, and Id love to see it as it develops !

Nice job !
Old 02-18-2009, 07:30 PM
Blade of Grass

oh and something that i am a firm believer in is stress coat. it's this stuff to add to the water to make it safer for fish and such. it is awesome!!! and there are many many different kinds but you just add a drop to a gallon and let that gallon sit for a day and it is so much cleaner.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:20 PM
Blade of Grass

Awesome!!!!

i got a little filter and pump as to add fish shortly and i also got a pitcher plant and some lucky bamboo and it is filling in and growing and i have decided that my new favorite hobby is making victorian terrariums and vivariums and i will most definately be trading and making and trading some more for anyone that is interested.

i will post pictures later when i find more batteries. my camera sucks em dry like they're nothing.
Old 07-24-2010, 09:06 PM
Blossom

Looks really cool... but I am concerned about all the species of critters you are mixing in the tank. You are aware that the white's tree frog will get very large and likely end up eating everyone else, right? Mult. species of frogs really shouldn't be kept together... It would be best if you stuck to one species and one species only. Fire-belly newts, or fire-belly toads, Or something like that.

And make sure you take the individual species' habitat needs into concern. You don't want to put a reptile from an arid area into a bog.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:46 PM
Flower

Send a message via Yahoo to SadieMae147
Dustin, this is a great project, I look forward to seeing the pics and reading your updates as it matures.
“This is my commandment, that you love one another, just as I have loved you.” - John 15:12
Old 08-04-2010, 10:03 AM
Flower Garden

Me too. Especially since I will probably need to do something like this to protect my plants over the winter. I have other arrangements made about my fish, so they'll be okay, but not my plants.
Old 08-04-2010, 03:46 PM
Bush

Shirley how deep is your pond? If it is atleast two feet deep and you can put a small submersible pump or aerator in it it will keep it from freezing over in the winter and if you have koi or goldfish they can survive thru the winter in the pond.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:01 PM
Flower

I love finding these Carnivorous plant related threads <3 The postings are excellent, and I love the terrarium ideas and images! I just wanted to let you know Dustin, I have recently begun my exploration of terrarium usage and bog/carnivorous plants, and must say it is not only a lot of fun, but has been very successful thus far! Here is a picture of my first terrarium attempt, a week ago or so, when I made it Best of luck and look forward to following your progress.
Old 10-15-2014, 04:09 PM
Acorn

Never heard of a paludarium before, but sounds cool! Is it going to be a totally contained ecosystem?
-->