Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > Other Types of Gardens

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2009, 03:20 PM
Blade of Grass

Lightbulbpaludarium - aka - bog tererrium

so i have redone my bog like terrerium. the water goes beneath all of the rock and soil so the substrate is very moist. i wanted to know what plants that are smaller preferabley, tropicals and sub tropicals that i can use to fill and attatch and such as to create the most awsomest palidurium ever.

any super moist plants with little to no fertilizer would be awsome. soon i will get fish in there and i think that that would provide all of the fertilizer needed for any plant and still be ok on the toad and whatever else will be living in there.

tropicals, sub-tropicals, super moist and compact.

thanks dusty
Old 02-17-2009, 05:24 PM
Flowering Shrub

Ohhh, any chance you could post some pictures ??? Have you thought about using carnivorous plants ?

It sounds really neat, sure would love to learn, and see more !

Good luck !
Old 02-17-2009, 09:26 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to mickeys_rose Send a message via Yahoo to mickeys_rose Send a message via Skype™ to mickeys_rose
dustin I found this great site it has plants for sale that would grow in boggy conditions. You can at least find out the name of the plants if the prices are to high for you and look else where. I thought of you the second I seen this site.
I also want to see these pictures. Your little palidurium would be great for a fire bellied newt!

Here is the site:
http://www.carnivorousplantnursery.c...alesplants.htm
Old 02-18-2009, 12:31 AM
Blade of Grass

yes!!!

thanks mickey,
oh and i also found the perfect place for my earth star, i just drilled out a little hole in the log in the palidurium. i will also be getting pictures i just hafta get batteries first for the camera.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:36 AM
Flowering Shrub

I am really looking forward to seeing what you are doing !!
Old 02-18-2009, 11:44 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to mickeys_rose Send a message via Yahoo to mickeys_rose Send a message via Skype™ to mickeys_rose
dustin the earth star will love it there, that is a great idea you had there! good one! hurry with the pictures we all want to see
Old 02-18-2009, 01:31 PM
Blade of Grass

Thumbs upok here it is

ok so in here from right back i have a nepthitis or somethin, in the front i don't know, in the log my earth star, oh front left is baby tears, top center swedish ivy, top right pothos. next i will be getting some 'lucky bamboo' draceana for the gravel in the front right. and soon after that there will be two tree frogs, a grey/green tree frog, a white's tree frog, a couple of green anoles a tiger salemander, and a few very tiny fish.

Old 02-18-2009, 01:46 PM
Super Moderator

Very nice your critters are going to like their new home. I think it looks cool and it is going to look great when all the plants mature in there.
Old 02-18-2009, 01:58 PM
Super Moderator

Talking

You've really inspired me Dustin!
Now I really wanna make a paludarium, too.
I have an unused 10 gallon aquarium and now I think I know what it wants to be.

I love the photos of yours, but before you added them, I did a little searching online
and I found a wonderful site (which you have probably already seen ):
http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/46g.htm

From their photos, it looks like they may have included some Tillandsia usneoides (Spanish moss),
if you'd like a bit of that for your tank, send me your address in a PM and I will send you a little hank.
I could also send along a couple of cuttings of Ficus pumila (Creeping Ficus),
which might do well if planted higher, where the roots wouldn't stay too soppy.

Let me know.

Old 02-18-2009, 01:58 PM
Vegetable Garden

looks nice! how do you keep the water clean?
aren't you worried the frogs will eat the fish and lizards? or are the fish meant as food?
(my frogs in the yard do eat lizards and guppies!)

Gone Tropical's Garden
Old 02-18-2009, 02:21 PM
Blade of Grass

well i have some beaker moss in there to keep the humidity up but is the spanish moss alive? that would be really awsome. as for the water filtering the rocks and substrate and plants will help with that plus i am going to get a snail or two and a catfish maybe a tiny plachostomus i'm not sure yet.

now all of the little guys that are going to be going in there are going to be insectavores and roughly the same size so there won't be any eating of each other. the fish are protected by the water except for the salemander that might pose a problem. but just a tiny school of guppies and or some other miniature tropical/subtropical fish like tetras. i just need to get the whole thing living for it to actually work.

i want to get some duck weed and a couple of water plants and just a tiny aerating stone and from there on in aside from a few crickets here and there or some meal worms the whole thing will be on it's own. things just hafta get growing.

live spanish moss would be flipping awesome and that fisc. i could pin to the wall. i actually am teatering on the notion of having the creaping charlie in there it just doesn't fit the tropical-ness like i want so i'm not sure. but i think that that fisc. would be awesome. i might go moss hunting and just get some off of a tree out side.
Old 02-18-2009, 02:37 PM
Vegetable Garden

really an awesome project. Keep us updated on how it all comes alive.
Good thing to have small froggies ( I was thinking of leopard frogs, Cuban Tree frogs, etc.)

Gone Tropical's Garden
Old 02-18-2009, 02:40 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by dustin View Post:
... but is the spanish moss alive?
Yes, the Tillandsia usneoides (Spanish moss) I have is alive,
it wouldn't need to be "planted" at all, like most Tillandsias, it is an air plant.
I think it would add a nice texture and greyish color, the Ficus is small in scale and easily trimmed if it grows too quickly.

Send me a PM with your mailing address.

One thought about Plecostomus fish -
be fussy about which species you acquire, the common species that most aquarium stores sell
will grow to a really big size pretty quickly, I have one in an aquarium now -
it was only about 2 inches long when we got it but it is probably about 10 inches long now
and it is strong enough to knock over some pretty heavy stones that I have arranged in there.

Clown plecostomus or Bristlenose plecostomus are more expensive, but they should not grow to more than 4-5 inches in length.

Old 02-18-2009, 02:47 PM
Blade of Grass

yes that is too big for this small space that is why i was thinking of going with snails and some small catfish for cleaning. plus the substrate that i have is just compressed cocoanut fiber so it's very clean. i can't wait till it all grows together.

oh and i have a question about the nepthitisisisis??? if i pin it to the bark after it gets a bit bigger will it grow upwards on the bark???
Old 02-18-2009, 02:56 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by dustin View Post:
oh and i have a question about the nepthitisisisis??? if i pin it to the bark after it gets a bit bigger will it grow upwards on the bark???
*heheh* The Nephthytis (aka - Syngonium - which is a little easier to say ) will want to trail, it's naturally rather vine-like,
so yes, you will need to "train" it if you want it to grow upward.
You can also keep cutting back the longer vine-y growths and encourage it to be more "bushy".

-->