Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > Other Types of Gardens

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2012, 05:37 AM
Sprout

CoolNepenthes ventrata has nothing in the pitchers

I just received my first Nepenthes Ventrata plant (photo's below) and the pitchers have no fluid in them. What can I do so they don't get all dried out?

baby pitcher is growing and is so cute!!
Here's how big the pitchers are in my hand
Old 08-02-2012, 02:43 PM
Sprout

You can just pour a little distilled water in it
But I wouldn't fill more than about 1/4 full at the most
Chances are it'll die off anyways just from sock & what not

Good Luck
Old 08-02-2012, 06:06 PM
Flower Garden

What a great grow Road Dog - Maybe your plant is dry cause there just aren't enough bugs around to excite it.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:05 PM
Flower

No worries! I have been on a learning journey with my Nepenthes Sanguinea as well! Just Evil_Garden_Gnome said, fill them 1/4" of distilled water, no minerals, and be sure to empty them a couple times a week and refill. They only partially digest insects they capture (and a healthy pitcher captures a good deal!), thus they need to be empty of the contents and refreshed. This process helps in the plants "digestion". Also, be sure the potting material *never* dries up, keep it moist by watering twice a week. I've been doing it 2x/wk, until it leeks water out of its planter. At this point, it seems to be loving it, as its three pitchers are still growing and are around 10-12" a piece now Hope this helps, and best of luck!
Old 09-18-2012, 09:08 PM
Flower

Oh, and here is what yours can become! I "cheated" and purchased it only slightly smaller than shown Keep up the great plant-care!

Old 09-18-2012, 11:31 PM
Sprout

Originally Posted by Cremmy18 View Post:
No worries! I have been on a learning journey with my Nepenthes Sanguinea as well! Just Evil_Garden_Gnome said, fill them 1/4" of distilled water, no minerals, and be sure to empty them a couple times a week and refill. They only partially digest insects they capture (and a healthy pitcher captures a good deal!), thus they need to be empty of the contents and refreshed. This process helps in the plants "digestion". Also, be sure the potting material *never* dries up, keep it moist by watering twice a week. I've been doing it 2x/wk, until it leeks water out of its planter. At this point, it seems to be loving it, as its three pitchers are still growing and are around 10-12" a piece now Hope this helps, and best of luck!
***STOP***
DON'T EMPTY THE BUGS OR LIQUID OUT OF THE PITCHERS

Why On Gods Green Earth Would You Empty The Pitchers???

Sorry normally I wouldn't question or comment on someones grow methods if it worked for them
But who ever told you to do that gave you some Really BAD Advice

The reason I suggested adding water to the pitcher is because the fluid spills out during shipping & adding a little water will help stop them from drying out

The fluid inside the pitcher is NOT water
{Actually that's one of the functions of the lid / To keep water out when it rains}
It's a "Digestive Enzyme" that the plant produces
Adding water to it will dilute it & hinder the plant from properly digesting the insects that fall in

It takes a long time for the insects to brake down {more than a few weeks if they're big ones}
By emptying them out you are forcing them to start the whole process over

Hope That Helps Save a Plant Or Two
&
One last thing
The Nep in the pic is a Miranda & not a Sanguinea
The main reason I bring that up is different growing environments / temps

Sanguinea is a Highlander {likes / can take cooler temps}
&
Miranda {what you have} is more of an Intermediate plant {not a naturally occurring hybrid} & likes warmer temps

Hope That Helps

~Happy Growing~

Last edited by Evil_Garden_Gnome; 09-18-2012 at 11:37 PM..
Old 09-18-2012, 11:58 PM
Flower

That is very exciting and important news! I have red in a few places about the emptying of pitchers, but nothing solid, so I reasons perhaps it was in order to mimic in a natural environment "emptying" them periodically. I have heard it was due to them having the inability to fully digest the insect parts, thus to keep things going smoothly and prevent decay, it got removed. Thus far, my pitchers are still growing and seem to be happy enough, but if it is proven to damage them, I in no way want to hurt my baby! Thank you for the advice, much appreciated! For the record- no need to get rude and over-excited with newbies right of the bat , people might take you as haughty and rude, which I'm sure you aren't I never claimed to be a no it all, hence my "hello from a newbie" post in the newbie posts.

just a note about my plant rearing style - I am a "by chance" gardener hobbyist. I do not follow steps usually "by the book", but sort of follow them as "guidelines". The result is I generally try to follow word of mouth advice. I have had great success thus far with this method of gardening. As for my informer of pitcher care - the person to tell me was owner of the 1st of sanguinea I had ever seen! (Later discovered she'd purchased it from the same nursery), however, hers lost its pitchers last I heard but was still growing. She excellent with orchids and works at a grow shop, sort of figured she was reputable to get info from? :/ Thank goodness my pitcher haven't been damaged yet!
Old 09-19-2012, 12:00 AM
Flower

Oh! I just re-read and caught the variety details - are you sure? I have been *scouring* the web for pictures of mine, as the nursery I purchased it from, did not send it with any information I have done a lot of deduction work to pick "sanguinea", but there is such a wide variety, it is confusing! If this is the true name of my plants species, I am truly more grateful than you know! I hate misnaming my plants!
Old 09-19-2012, 01:54 AM
Sprout

Here be some links to help you with IDing your Nep

Sanguinea
http://www.borneoexotics.com/images/...1%20(0259).jpg
More Pics
http://www.cpphotofinder.com/nepenth...uinea-548.html

Miranda
http://www.battlezinc.com/pictures/nmiranda1.jpg
More Pics
http://www.cpphotofinder.com/nepenth...anda-1429.html

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~In Other News

I PMed Cremmy18 to apologize
But after rereading my post I wanted to post publicly too

It sounds like I'm dumping on Cremmy18
I honestly wasn't & didn't intend to sound like I was / It just didn't come out right

Also Sorry
Didn't mean to come off as a, I'll be polite & say Jerk or know it all
{I know / I kind of did}

I know We Were All NOOBs at one time
God knows I've killed more than my share of plants

But I've been growing Neps for a good 9 or 10 years now & I don't claim to know everything about them {far from it / LOL}
But that really was some bad advice & I just wanted to jump in before anyone read it & started emptying out their pitchers
'Cause that would be a bad thing

Nepenthes, even big ones have pretty small root systems / Like real small
They basically just hold the plant in place & aren't used to absorb nutrients like with most other plants
The pitchers produce a digestive enzyme that brakes down the insects that fall in {like the acid in your stomach}, in to a nasty bug soup that's absorbed by glands in the pitcher

This is a long process & not every part of the insect will brake down {Think Corn / LOL}
If you were to empty out the pitchers a "couple times a week" you wouldn't allow time for the plant to do it's thing
&
Would literally be depriving it of nutrients

Gross analogy, but it would be like pumping some ones stomach 5 minutes after they ate
&
With like many things, it might not show right away
But in the long run you will start to notice things like small pitchers or no pitchers at all
&
No Pitchers = No Way To "Feed"

~Peace Out Plant Peeps~

Last edited by Evil_Garden_Gnome; 09-19-2012 at 04:22 PM..
Old 09-19-2012, 02:17 AM
Sprout

Cremmy18 I pm'd you .. Please let me know if you got it.
Old 09-19-2012, 03:26 PM
Flower

Red faceTo all who responded to my post!

To Road and Gnome, thank you for taking the time to take an interest in my Nep! I am VERY glad you clarified the "pitcher issue", and greatly appreciate the apology, as I didn't intentionally mean to cause a possible devastating plant kill with bad info! I have thoroughly read you post, and am very excited about the information, and am happy to understand my plant better To Road- Sorry, been out of house today, I got your message and would very interested!

For CPs, for future trading - I am currently working on a tray of Cape Sundews that were sown 8/21/12, and they are currently all germinating, however, from all of my reading think it will be several months before they're big enough to re-pot...I'm still learning about all of these so please, bare with me! I also have a tray of Pink Sundews germinating, and only 2 of my Cobra Lily seeds have rooted at this point. I also have the above pictured Nepenthes (variety in question), which has gone through its first stem-cutting by me, and hasn't seemed to upset by it, thus far. The propagated growing tip and 2 nodes, seem quite content in their rooting setup, so if it goes well, that will be available for trade too! If you know a lot about stem-cutting successful methods..I'd be all ears

I have many other plants than CPs for the record, my full list is available on my MyFolia.com profile, too many to re-list here! I mostly joined this forum specifically for swapping/learning about Carnivorous plants, but if you see something I have on my Cremmy18 on MyFolia, feel free to PM me. Thanks again everyone!!
Old 09-19-2012, 04:05 PM
Flower

So happy, thanks again Gnome! I am convinced you are correct, it looks identical to the Nepenthes Miranda. While I am bummed I didn't figured it out myself, I am so relieved to be done with the search for a name! Pitchers are almost identical and the leaves have the same funny spots on them
-->