Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > Other Types of Gardens

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2011, 11:39 AM
Critter Rescue Angel

ok thank you BFG, it was a nice suggestion. I will do a little research on what may be the nicest fish for my little water garden.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:37 PM
Vegetable Garden

could you not just take the entire water garden and bring it into 'winter storage'? would this not give all the plants a head start come springtime?
I am thinking this would also save the possible fish, be it minnows, rosies or tropical aquarium fishies

Gone Tropical's Garden
Old 05-31-2011, 10:43 PM
Critter Rescue Angel

Well that would be nice if I had a place that was heated to keep it but I would have to bring it in the house and I dont know if I have a place that I could put it..its small but so is my house..LOL and oh boy the cats..lol

It will definitly be a challenge but I am not willing to loose my plants so they will be brought in some how, but I may have to use 5 gallon buckets I can tuck away in a closet for the winter.

I have a small fish tank in my garage also that I could put some fish in in my living room for the winter..that would be nice to have also..I love fish.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:47 PM
Critter Rescue Angel

oh ya know what would be cool..to have a 30 gallon fish tank to keep the plants and fish in , in the living room for the winter..hehehe..oh GT now you have me thinking..lol
Old 05-31-2011, 10:54 PM
Vegetable Garden

that sounds like a good idea
I just know how hard it is to lose the fishies in the winter time. I gave up on the plecostomus (scum suckers) and guppies, they just die as soon as the water temps drop too low.
the rosies ( or carrot fish) are most beautiful, they stay small and are a nice orange color, so they will be seen! and I am sure they would love to overwinter in your living room

Gone Tropical's Garden
Old 05-31-2011, 11:06 PM
Critter Rescue Angel

Thanks GT I think I will give that a try this fall when the temps are due to start going down some. I will check into the rosies they sound neat. We have a small pet shop here so if they dont have them they may be able to get some for me. I love plecos to! I used to have fresh water and marine tanks when I was in my 20s(was i ever in my 20s?..lol) I love fish..oh the marine tanks are so gorgeous to..sigh, another life time..lol
Old 06-02-2011, 11:02 PM
Flower Garden

Originally Posted by RiverRock View Post:

It will definitly be a challenge but I am not willing to loose my plants so they will be brought in some how, but I may have to use 5 gallon buckets I can tuck away in a closet for the winter.
Last winter I kept my pond fish and some plants in an aquarium in which I kept a little water pump going all the time to keep the water from freeqing. It worked like a charm!
Old 06-02-2011, 11:10 PM
Critter Rescue Angel

Hehehe read up BFG, I am planning to use an aquarium in my living room for the winter. Thank you though for telling me about it...I will post pic this fall when I make the switch to indoors.