Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > Other Types of Gardens

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2011, 10:29 PM
Flowering Shrub

I think he killed it

Dh picked up a VFT the other day (the 14th? I think) & I don't know about you all but when my oh-so-responsible husband buys himself something, it usually involves buying it, planting it & forgetting about it. Only to be disappointed when it doesn't grow. But, I digress..
I don't really like CP but, it's here so I figured I should try to keep it alive. I went out & bought distilled water to use for it & had it sitting in the sunny herb garden (above ground, on a tray, in it's pot, with the moss it came home from the store in).
I come home today & he's grinning at me & tells me he actually took the time to take care of his plant (because I am always nagging him about his plants lol)..he fed it, almost every trap was closed There are maybe 7 little ones still open out of 20+ traps. One of the bigger ones is starting to open again (he triggered it but didn't get the fly in it) but the little ones are starting to look really unhealthy, they are turning a sickly shade of brown.
Is the plant going to die? I feel kind of bad that he actually took the time to care for it but at the same time I'm like really?? Why didn't you google it before you did that? Is there anyway to save it? Maybe snipping off some traps?

Any advice (besides to nag DH because I did that already)?
Old 08-17-2011, 08:04 AM
Tree

By "fed it" do you mean he used fertilizer on it? I hope not!

If he did fertilize it all I could think of right now is to flood it a couple times (as long as it can drain somewhere) to try to remove the fertilizer.

If by "fed it" you mean that he gave it a bunch of insects, then maybe... I don't know maybe he gave it some bad ones?

I am going to avoid "nagging" right now as I could right a page just with that
Old 08-17-2011, 09:12 AM
Tree

It sounds like he fed it some flies?
Old 08-17-2011, 09:40 AM
Tree

If all he did was give it some bugs or something to "eat" like that then I might know whats going on....

With VFT each trap can only "eat" a couple times and then it dies. So maybe the ones that are dieing have ate a couple times and are dieing off to make room for ones that are newer, and have more energy.

Could you post a picture?
Old 08-17-2011, 06:11 PM
Flowering Shrub

No no, he didn't fertilize it (thank goodness), he fed the traps flies. It's looking a little better today, I plucked some of the tiny traps that had turned brown & there's 2 or 3 big ones opening back up (he swears he got a fly in them, but I haven't seen any, maybe they got loose?).
He got it at KMart & it was in a little cup with a plastic cover, so I don't know how much they've eaten before. But I haven't seen it eat but 1 fly on it's own & it's the little traps that are turning brown, not the big ones.

Pics if I can get my card reader working...
Old 08-17-2011, 06:48 PM
Tree

Hi,
(I edited this post, that's why its different)

http://science.howstuffworks.com/env...s-flytrap4.htm

It says on there that after the traps close about 10-12 times they spread open and devote the traps to photosynthesis. And then they die a couple months later.

But you said they closed and now they are dieing right after he fed them..... Maybe it was a bad bug or something? What did he give it?

And then on another website (a FAQ site) it said that after many times of the trap closing, but not getting anything edible. That they show "noticeable fatigue"

Maybe it's just stress? I don't know right now.... Maybe some one else will soon.

I would just kind of baby them and make sure they get what they need, and just hope that they take a turn better.

Hope all goes well, and have a nice day

Last edited by jreidsma; 08-17-2011 at 07:07 PM..
Old 08-18-2011, 09:28 AM
Flowering Shrub

It is looking loads better today, I think it may live
Old 08-18-2011, 10:08 AM
Tree

Hope all goes well, and have a nice day
-->