Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > Other Types of Gardens

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2011, 04:41 PM
Flowering Shrub

Have small pond, need plants

Ok so, I got bored the other day & decided the front yard needed a pond It started out as a little watering hole for the ducks, then I remembered I hate the ducks & they already have a much larger pond we dug just for them last summer. Plus they made the water dirty (duh, didn't think of that!) & I dunno about you but I don't want to be looking out the front door at a hole full of muddy water. So I evicted the ducks, put up a 'fence' of old wood framed windows, ripped out the pond, reshaped it & put it all back in, it's better now
But...now I have this little pond, protected by a fence no less & it's bare as all get out, DH was like "And the point of this was?" I personally like it bare, but he's not giving in, so I have to put something in it. It only holds (from my guesstamate) like 18-20ish gallons of water & gets direct overhead sun from about 2-5pm, so I don't think any fishes would love it too much. Any ideas for plants that will stay (or can be weeded to stay) in a small pond that can handle moderate pennsylvania (zone 6a) sun?

Oh & the liner is a large shower curtain (the kind that go on wrap around showers) folded in half, I realize that it will probably need to be replaced next summer, but I don't mind.
Old 08-05-2011, 07:09 PM
Tree

I am guessing anything I could put in ponds here will work for you.

You could try some cold hardy water lilies, arrowheads, cat tails, or I have some Nelumbo nucifera I could trade with you for something.

The Nelumbo nucifera would have to be brought inside during the winter if it gets very cold, and it will take a couple years to get flowers form it. But it is a very pretty plant.
Old 08-05-2011, 07:50 PM
Flowering Shrub

Originally Posted by jreidsma View Post:
I am guessing anything I could put in ponds here will work for you.

You could try some cold hardy water lilies, arrowheads, cat tails, or I have some Nelumbo nucifera I could trade with you for something.

The Nelumbo nucifera would have to be brought inside during the winter if it gets very cold, and it will take a couple years to get flowers form it. But it is a very pretty plant.
Will cold hardy plants stand up against direct summer sun?
The only things I have for trade right now are 2 young spiderplants (green, not striped) & a young peppermint plant. All of my other mints (except the ones already rooting for people) are growing in pots close together & I'm fighting with spidermites right now.
ETA: I forgot I also have some black peppermint rooting that's not spoken for.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:01 PM
Tree

It all depends on what plants you get. I would just research some plants you like and see if their sun requirements are met and not too much for them. Some cold hardy plant are full sun, while others aren't. It all depends on what you want in there.

Maybe if you could shoot me some ideas of what you want the area to look like, or maybe what colors you want in there I might be able to try to help you find some stuff you might like.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:21 PM
Flowering Shrub

I like it bare The husband isn't going to have it.
I'd prefer something that doesn't flower (not much of a flower girl here), puts oxygen in the water & maybe some shade over it to have a fish or 2 in the pond. Something I don't have to spend a ton of time trying to keep alive.
But really anything that will live in it works for me.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:36 PM
Tree

So you like a bare pond and HATE ducks?

The sacred water lotus I offered you would make huge flowers and would require a bit more care.

Arrowheads don't flower that much, and are hardy and very cool looking

Cat tails kind of don't flower, well they do, but its not like a normal flower

Water lettuce but its not very hardy,

Water hyacinth, but it flowers and can be invasive,

Anacharis, hardy to zone 4 I think and is very good at supplying food and oxygen for fish

This website has some info
http://www.pondplantsdirect.com/

Those are just some plants that could be used. I don't have a pond so I don't now a whole lot about them.

Hope all goes well, and have a nice day
Old 08-05-2011, 09:42 PM
Flowering Shrub

Thanks for the suggestions & the link
By alot of work I mean...like a cp, I'm not about to be buying distilled water just to make sure it doesn't die on me lol
Originally Posted by jreidsma View Post:
So you like a bare pond and HATE ducks?

The sacred water lotus I offered you would make huge flowers and would require a bit more care.

Arrowheads don't flower that much, and are hardy and very cool looking

Cat tails kind of don't flower, well they do, but its not like a normal flower

Water lettuce but its not very hardy,

Water hyacinth, but it flowers and can be invasive,

Anacharis, hardy to zone 4 I think and is very good at supplying food and oxygen for fish

This website has some info
http://www.pondplantsdirect.com/

Those are just some plants that could be used. I don't have a pond so I don't now a whole lot about them.

Hope all goes well, and have a nice day
Old 08-05-2011, 09:45 PM
Flowering Shrub

Oh & ducks, I don't hate them in particular, I hate all birds really. They creep me out & are always trying to bite me (every bird I've ever got near has bitten/tried to bite me) The ducks & I have an understanding though, they don't bother me & I don't try to talk dh into a duck dinner.
Old 08-05-2011, 09:48 PM
Tree

Ahh, ok. I was thinking you wanted just plants that required not much care.

There's plenty of different things you could get to put in there, so hope you find some stuff you like

The water lotus I am going to send you should do pretty good there. I am growing mine in cat litter buckets and a small water Lilly tub

During the winter you will probably have to bring them out of the water and cut the leaves off and bring the rhizome indoors for the winter. Other then that there shouldn't be much care involved.

I think it might look good with some cat tails or something along the side of the pond. And then having some lotus or water lilies in the middle. And then maybe some underwater plants and some floating ones to. It all depends on what you want and how much you want to spend on it.

With out realizing it I just said all the levels of water anyways... o well.
Old 08-06-2011, 06:29 AM
Flower Garden

If you have a petsmart or other pet supply store keep an eye out for sales on their aquarium plants!
Old 08-06-2011, 09:39 AM
Tree

Exactly. Just make sure the plants you get from them are hardy enough for your area.

Oh, and when I posted my last reply I didn't notice that you posted something to. About the ducks. So I just read it. I guess your just not a bird type of person then.
Old 08-06-2011, 10:31 AM
Flowering Shrub

I hadn't thought of that Xeolyte I need to see if they have an ad circulation though, the closest PetSmart is over an hour away.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:41 AM
Flowering Shrub

After checking the water for a few days, I discovered that it doesn't get as warm as I thought it would So now there's 3 little goldfish swimming around in there & we bought some water lettace for it too. We bought enough to throw some in the big pond too, the ducks destroyed it Dh was so happy
Old 08-10-2011, 11:49 AM
Tree

Sounds like you got some cool stuff for your ponds!
Old 08-10-2011, 11:54 AM
Bush

my mother puts iris and canna's in a pot and sits it in hers......they do great...does anyone have a verigated spider or airplane piece that you are willing to part with for postage?
-->